SASS Wire Forum

What is your criteria

Matthew Duncan

Once or twice a year, I try to shoot a monthly match at a club that I’ve never been to.

And I also try to shoot at a State match that I’ve never have shot at (or it’s been awhile).

While working on my 2011 CAS schedule I wondered what’s y'alls criteria for selecting a “new” monthly or annual match?

Show up without yer badge, act like a newbie, and see how yer treated. It's real telling.

Hi Matthew,

Things have changed drastically for me in the last few years. Although we didn't stray far, in the beginning when we had an RV, a fun reputation was the main thing. I preferred large close targets; but we still attended the opposite regularly (High Sierra under Rio Justice and Chabot).

Now that I am retired and shoot alone, I must consider $$$, length of travel, closeness of lodging.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Howdy Matthew.

I must admit, those new places I have visited was mostly due to their reputations of being good clubs Because of a host of fellers I already knew.....AND the type of stage setups they catered too. In other words, target sizes and distances set at SASS minimums or closer.

But note, it was the fine reputations of their present members that caught my attention first and foremost.

..........Widder

My criteria for choosing a new club or match to shoot at is:

1. Is it a SASS Cowboy Action Shooting club?

2. Are they Cowboy Action Shooters?

If those two criterias are met, I'll be in familiar surroundings and I know the folks will be great...no question about it.

If it fits in your travel plans, head to the IA-Ill border near I-74 over Memorial Day week-end for the St. Judes Charity Shoot. 12 stages over two days at two different clus. Entry fee $20.

If I see a good general spirit of the game evident within the club's atmosphere, I'm in. I don't really care if the targets are close or far away, but I do like to see a fun screnario, and not an all jumbled up mess. Some of us are gettin' up in age. ;);) I don't care about the cost of match fees, distance, or competitive gamers (if'n that's how one might want to describe them), that's all good an' well, but pissed off gamers are a real ture off, and that's fer sure an' fer certin'. I'd just as soon head back to the ranch.

Roy

Do I know someone that shoots there that I know or think I would enjoy shooting with.

Or know the person that is going to be running the match enjoys the same kind of matches I do.

Heard good things about the club or people running it.

Those are the things that get me to go somewhere.

I am going to one this year that I don't know anything about. Or the people.

But it is close to where I spent many years. So thought I would go check it out.

But normally.

With the cost of fuel.

Taking the time to go.

If I am not pretty sure I am going to enjoy it.

Or if it is going to be my kind of match.

I will not go.

Luckily I have some good ones already laid out for this year.

Except for the one ?????? But sure I will find a way to enjoy it.

But???? Will I enjoy it enough to go back????

There are some GREAT matches out there.

My criteria for choosing a new club or match to shoot at is:

1. Is it a SASS Cowboy Action Shooting club?

2. Are they Cowboy Action Shooters?

If those two criterias are met, I'll be in familiar surroundings and I know the folks will be great...no question about it.

+1

When I choose I leave the people out of it. I say that because regardless of the match itself the people are always good. In 9 years there is only one range that I never really feel welcome at, but I still go back because there is a couple of folks there that I really like. So it comes down to where do I get the most fun out of my money. For me the shooting must be good, or I don't go back.

Archived