SASS Wire Forum

New Cimarron 97

rippin kid

Yesterday I got my new Cimarron 97. Got it home and tried to pump it. No go. Tried and tried even read the directions. Finally shouldered the gun and tried still nothing. Buy this time I was pretty p--ssed, and gave it a good shake, the pump moved forword about a 1/4 of and inch and I was able to pump the gun.

At this point as long as I really put a lot of force and speed into the forward pump I could do the reward pump. This was a true two arm operation, the strong arm hold the gun tight to my shoulder and my left pushing forward on the pump and I not a small guy. I don.t know how it would be posible to load single shots doing it this way.

I new to cowboy shooting but not pump shotguns. I got out my Mossberg this morning to compare and can pump it with one arm just picking it up from the table.

Is this normal? Does it have to do with the "Slam firing"? Does it need to go back to Cimarron or the gunsmith for slicking up?

97's have an inertia release on the pump. When you shoot it with real ammo it will work fine.

Larsen has nailed it. The recoil will cause the infernal safety mechanisms to release; you will never notice it happening, but it does. Shoot a box through it and you will see how it works. You will soon learn how to rack it to show clear at the unloading table. Plus the more you rack it, the smoother it becomes.

Yesterday I got my new Cimarron 97. Got it home and tried to pump it. No go. Tried and tried even read the directions. Finally shouldered the gun and tried still nothing. Buy this time I was pretty p--ssed, and gave it a good shake, the pump moved forword about a 1/4 of and inch and I was able to pump the gun.

At this point as long as I really put a lot of force and speed into the forward pump I could do the reward pump. This was a true two arm operation, the strong arm hold the gun tight to my shoulder and my left pushing forward on the pump and I not a small guy. I don.t know how it would be posible to load single shots doing it this way.

I new to cowboy shooting but not pump shotguns. I got out my Mossberg this morning to compare and can pump it with one arm just picking it up from the table.

Is this normal? Does it have to do with the "Slam firing"? Does it need to go back to Cimarron or the gunsmith for slicking up?

Howdy: You are not alone on the Cimarron 97. I went through the same traumatic experience and finally sent the junk off to an expert out west. He put it in fine shooting condition after the complete workover. All totaled, I have over $800 in the shotgun. Cost, fees, shipping etc. What really got to me was my pards were paying $350 for a Norinco and shooting hem out of the box with no problems.

Deadwood Miner

I got my first 97 a couple years back for mere pennies.

Last year, I acquired two brand new IAC 97's (09 series) for $300 each. Although I had a couple smiths add their personal touch, both of them were dern fine guns out of the box.

I got me another 'brand new' IAC yesterday for $375.....already slicked up.

I've experienced this 'lock up' situation but only when I baby them and 'soft' stroke em.

I mean.....'really soft'.

My opin is that 97's need to be run hard and fast. The harder and faster.....the better.

Treat em like a rented mule and you may find yourself very satisfied.

One minor note: I ain't very smart on the workings of the 97 but when mine lockup, similar to your discription, I take my thumb and push the bolt forward about 1/4" to give it a fully close action. This 'unlocks' everything for normal operations. A WORD OF CAUTION: if you have a live round in the chamber and your finger on the trigger, the results could be a loud noise.

..........Widder

Archived