SASS Wire Forum

Anyone read "Flyboys" by James Bradley?

Just finished reading a book I started yesterday morning, read it through the day, and woke up early to finish, "Flyboys", by James Bradley. Its probable the most shocking book on WW2 I've read. About things that nations do during the war to POWs. Plus historical events that pre-date the war about mans injustice to each other, unspeakable things that even our nation in its growth did. It will open your eyes to beyond the battlefields. I highly recommend it. MT

MT,

I read the book a year or so ago. I agree with you. It is shocking and heartbreaking what our boys went through. I can't imagine what it must have been like for them.

I saw a Marine WWII vet in the doctor's office a few months ago. I thanked him for what he did in WWII and got to talking to him. He flew the same type of dive bombers as depicted in that book. I asked him if he had read "Flyboys". He said he had and enjoyed it, but he was not in that part of the Pacific.

What heroes!! :blush:

Regards,

TSGG

I have it on my bookshelf and also reccomend it to anyone that can stomach real history. What I found more shocking than whatr happened to the POW's was Japans lack of regard for its own people. Trfoops werre trained and put on islands with no regard to feeding, re-equiping, or rescueing them. When cut off they were simple written off and left to starve. The whole attitude of the japanese government and military toward their own people was no better than it was toward the POW's. Unfortunately, I have read enough real history to not be surprised or shocked.

If you found that shocking you might read Forgotten Holocaust by Richard Lukas. For example the offical ration allotment to residents of Warsaw under Nazi rule in 1941 was 669 calories per day for Polish Workers, 184 calories for Jews amd 2613 for Germans. That was in 41 before things got bad! Remember these wern't POW's or combatants but the workers the nazi's expected to produce war material. Starvation is bad enough but believe me, it gets worse.

Bugs

FLY BOYS is a good book. Another better than good book is “A Question of Honor” by Lynne Olson and Stanley Cloud. I promise you this book will impact you more than "FLY BOYS" as good as it is.

FLY BOYS is a good book. Another better than good book is “A Question of Honor” by Lynne Olson and Stanley Cloud. I promise you this book will impact you more than "FLY BOYS" as good as it is.

As a matter of fact I happen to own a copy of "A Question of Honor also". Not as grusom as Flyboys or Forgotten Holocast but it hits nearer home as it is quite and inditement against FDR and his turning all of Eastern Europe over to Stalin and his tender mercies. The chapter regarding how he and "Uncle Joe" teamed up against Churchill, ridiculed him, and divided Europe up between them with no regard for the wishes of the people involved was American politics at its worst.

Bugs

was Japans lack of regard for its own people. Trfoops werre trained and put on islands with no regard to feeding, re-equiping, or rescueing them. When cut off they were simple written off and left to starve.

Some of that can be attributed to how well we did at destroying their supply lines. Especially as we island hopped up the Solomon Islands and other islands in that area. You had American and a lesser degree Australian ships, subs, PT boats and aircraft destroying everything they could find night and day. At some point it becomes counter productive to lose more men then you are going to save.

Some of that can be attributed to how well we did at destroying their supply lines. Especially as we island hopped up the Solomon Islands and other islands in that area. You had American and a lesser degree Australian ships, subs, PT boats and aircraft destroying everything they could find night and day. At some point it becomes counter productive to lose more men then you are going to save.

No arguement but as the book points out there was never an attempt, a plan, or supplies set asside to ever try. It was conquor or die and don't expect any help from us. A man was worth no more than the cost of a postage stamp that would be used to draft his replacement. The book points out that the Japanese high command refered to drafties as "issen gorin" or six cents, the cost of a stamp.

Bugs

THE FALLEN by Marc Landas is another story of American POW'S and Japanese wartime atrocities.

THE FORGOTTEN 500 by Gregory A. Freeman is another good one about the rescue of American airmen from Eastern Europe.

No arguement but as the book points out there was never an attempt, a plan, or supplies set asside to ever try. It was conquor or die and don't expect any help from us. A man was worth no more than the cost of a postage stamp that would be used to draft his replacement. The book points out that the Japanese high command refered to drafties as "issen gorin" or six cents, the cost of a stamp.

Bugs

I'll have to disagree with the book then. I've read a number of accounts of Japan trying to re-supply their troops and and in some cases evacuate them as well.

Bugs

Sounds like my Dad's opinion of what happened to his company in the Philippines. He got lucky and got sent home just before the war broke out, but all his friends were killed. Zero survivors. "The Battered Bastards of Bataan, No Momma, No Poppa, No Uncle Sam."

I'll have to disagree with the book then. I've read a number of accounts of Japan trying to re-supply their troops and and in some cases evacuate them as well.

In some instances local commanders did what they could, Guadalcanal is a case in point. The book talks of a policy at National Command level. Stuff that may not be policy happens in every Army at a number of levels but that doesn't mean that there is a plan in place or a concern from higher command.

Bugs

Read it about a year ago and couldn't put it down. You might also want to read "Flags of Our Fathers" also by James Bradley, "With Old Breed" by Eugene Sledge and "Helmet for My Pillow" by Robert Leckie. The last two, BTW, were the basis for Tom Hanks/Steven Spielberg's "The Pacific".

Funny thing, there has been so many books and movies about the war in Europe, but so very little, in comparison, about the war in the Pacific, which was more brutal. "Flyboys" would make a great film.

Read it about a year ago and couldn't put it down. You might also want to read "Flags of Our Fathers" also by James Bradley, "With Old Breed" by Eugene Sledge and "Helmet for My Pillow" by Robert Leckie. The last two, BTW, were the basis for Tom Hanks/Steven Spielberg's "The Pacific".

Funny thing, there has been so many books and movies about the war in Europe, but so very little, in comparison, about the war in the Pacific, which was more brutal. "Flyboys" would make a great film.

It is a story that needs to be told, too bad the title has already gone to a WWI film. Not sure how the audience would react to the beheadings and liver eating.

Bush 41 came damn close to being captured on that island.

Archived