SASS Wire Forum

Saeco molds

Nickel Bill James

I have a friend that bought some saeco molds that were sized somewhat small, he was instructed to send them back {at his own cost} and they would fix the problem. This never happened and the molds are being returned unrepaired after several stories and excuses. Has anyone had trouble with this company,or do they just not stand behind their product?

I have heard some stories about poor products/service.

I have a few Saeco molds nor problems.

They are hard to beat although on the spendy side.

A friend had to send a saeco mold back, don't remember the outcome. RCBS I think is one of the top mold makers for Iron blocks and service work. Gary

I have several Saeco molds that produce some of the best bullets that you will get from a stock mold. The quality has always been above the others. The only molds that I own that do better are custom built ones. I have no idea how long you have been casting but your alloy can make a difference on how your mold works.

I have a friend that bought some saeco molds that were sized somewhat small, he was instructed to send them back {at his own cost} and they would fix the problem. This never happened and the molds are being returned unrepaired after several stories and excuses. Has anyone had trouble with this company,or do they just not stand behind their product?

There may be more to the story than you're being told. I've never had an issue with any of their products... even a couple I bought used that needed a little extra care after I tried to use 'em. Sometimes... it's all about the specific individual you end up dealing with, timing, and attitude... I even ordered the wrong the top punch for a particular bullet... they ended up sending me the right one, as just said, keep it, regarding the incorrect one. (I did, eventually, find a use for it!)

I have a friend that bought some saeco molds that were sized somewhat small

James, ask your friend what the definition of 'somewhat small' is. Then also ask him what mold number, alloy and temperature he was casting with. There is a correlation between all the factors.

I use 3 Saeco's (little to large calibers) and have no issues with the results. BACO uses Saeco blocks for their molds, I have 2 also, and again no issues. In fact, the latest is a 8.15x46R and one can't even see the parting lines on the bullets.

Believe Griff has a good 'sniffer' of what may be untold. A mold company will usually take a 'problem' mold from a user, cast with it and if with specifications send it back 'unrepaired'

Forgot to add also ... does your friend cast with a ladle, 'jam' the spout tightly into the sprue hold, pour for 5 seconds and does the sprue puddle frost at 5 seconds or greater. All characteristics of a good bullet within mold specifications

Archived