SASS Wire Forum

True Grit wrong eye shooting

Horsekiller Al

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely loved this movie. I thought the original True Grit with John Wayne was terrific and the book was just plain fantastic.

My only criticism...maybe not even that. Just a question.

Rooster (Jeff Bridges) has a patch over his right eye. Yet he shoots right handed. I am left eye dominant, can not shoot at all with my right eye. I had to learn to shoot a rifle left handed. John Wayne had his eye patch over his left eye.

It is impossible to get my eye/face anywhere on the rifle so that I can shoot it right handed but sight with my left eye.

Can anyone else do this???? This is one of the reasons I think I tend to shoot more pistol than rifle. I can shoot with my right hand but use my left eye.

I've always heard you're supposed to aim with both eyes open, although I don't. I am right handed, left eye dominant. I have always closed my left eye when aiming. I guess since I've done it that way since I was young it just comes naturally.

Frst off it's anything like the patch JW used the patch is made of fine mesh and Bridges can see fine out of it. Seconcd he don't have to hit anything either. Remember it's a Movie and Bridges might be Left Eye Dominant so having the patch on his right eye felt more comfortable to him.

Doc Fillem has the right idea!

I've always heard you're supposed to aim with both eyes open, although I don't. I am right handed, left eye dominant. I have always closed my left eye when aiming. I guess since I've done it that way since I was young it just comes naturally.

Makes it a little tougher don't it Doc? If I don't at least squint with my left eye, I will miss pistol targets badly, because the left tries to naturally lead, so I won't actually be shooting where I think I am.

In answer to the question in the OP, Yes, you can sight a rifle with the off-dominant eye, but it looks dumb and is not generally very effective. I have seen beginners do it many times.

My father lost his right eye when he was three months old. He was right handed and always shot right handed. He could light up a strike anywhere match stuck into a fence post with a shot from a .22 rifle. I should know, he used that same rifle to teach me how to shoot.

Hello the fire,

I'm right handed and left eye dominate(great when running a 97 Win.). Learned to shoot this way from the time I was a kid. You do get strange looks from people when you draw your revolvers and use your left eye to sight with. I've always told 'em it was just the way I learned.

Cap

When i wear my patch i keep and extry 45 in the eye socket and a hide away in my hat.

I want that "eye"~~

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/gunc...ck/Eye005-2.jpg

My Mom was cross dominant. She could shoot a rifle that way but the stance was unique. Her neck looked severely bent. It has been 30+ years so I am a little hazy on how she did it exactly.

Cheers,

BJT

Yep. I am the same way. Very right handed, Very left eyed. <_<

I have to shut my left eye, or, well, its a mess.

Being so right handed has sure made it hard learning to shoot GFer or Double Duelist.

But it is getting there. :rolleyes:

I know it is best to shoot with both eyes open.

But if you can't, then you just can't.

I have to make do best I can, with the left eye shut.

I, also, am right handed and left eye dominent.

I shoot handguns right handed, using my left eye, and shoulder fired arms off my left shoulder.

I don't own any left handed rifles or shotguns.

I have been shooting this way since 1955, with no problems.

The only rifle I can't fire left handed is a bullpup design, and I wouldd never own one anyway.

Archived