SASS Wire Forum

Wild Bunch Guys

Outrider, SASS #72622

I shot my new Remington 1911 last week. I was pleasantly surprised at the outcome. It functioned 100% with 200 gr SWC reloads. I shot about 100 rds thru it. It was very cold and I was only interested in running it for function. Mine had a rough spot in the trigger pull, felt like a 2- stage military rifle trigger. I was hoping it would work out but it didn't. I shot it at steel and made lots of hits but couldn't quite figure where it was hitting and to cold to put on paper. Brought it home and took it down to work on trigger a little. I've improved it and will shoot it again as is. However, as I was putting it back toether noticed that the rear sight was loose in dovetail and sliding back and forth. Very small hex head screw holds rear sight in place, and it was very tight and loctited. Used hair dryer to loosen hex. Now will need to re-zero on next outing. I normally shoot a Wilson 1911, so I'm not easily impressed. I'm glad I bought the Remington 1911 for Wild Bunch use and I think they will do a good job. If a smith is available a good trigger job will make it a better shooter. I also have high hopes for the Para Wild Bunch pistol , as they make very fine weapons, but who knows when one will be available.

Outrider, as the OP of that thread linked above, you should know that there is a part two to that after action report.

The R1 is a great gun. So far I have only shot it with FMJ and it has yet to choke even once. My AO and my RIA will not function with the 10 round McCormick mag but the R1 will.

The rear sight on mine also started flopping back and forth so apparently Remington is just sticking them on with a little dab of weak glue that soon breaks loose. I would guess that is so folks can zero it and then tighten the set screw. I wish I had known as mine was dead on from the factory and the most accurate box stock mil spec 1911 I have seen. If you get it check the zero and then quick anchor the rear sight before it breaks loose and goes to flopping back and forth.

Great bargain. Great gun.

Got one, very nice pistol. Only problem I had was with Chip McCormick magazines. They are a little thicker and would bind on the trigger bow preventing reliable reset. Worked fine with Rem factory mags. There was a slight bend to the trigger bow which I fixed and now any magazine works just fine.

Archived