SASS Wire Forum

Hammer gun techniques

Slowhand Bob, 24229

I have lost them now but I have seen a couple of videos that showed some really impressing hammer gun shooting by a couple of our top shooters. I guess what intrigued me the most was their technique of cocking the doubles, which was different from the always recommended one hammer here and one there while drawing and loading shells. These guys were actually cocking both hammers together after loading the shells. Anyone else seen these videos and are those techniques catching on?

T-Bone has probably the best method I have seen, I use it modified a little for my type shotgun. Fire 2 sweep the left hand back along the barrels, thumb opens lever while index finger and hand sweep across and cock both hammers, give a small sharp jerk dumping the empties while left hand grabs next 2 shells, buttstock remains at or near shoulder at all times, focus on the chambers, load 2 with a rocking motion (watch Duece's video for this) and go again. This gets me in the high 3 to low 4 second range for 4 shots with gun coming off the table

You can also go to spencerhogeland.com and see how the really fast guys do it.

Coffinmaker

Corrected link, but I didn't find any videos demonstrating/using a hammered double:

http://www.spencerhoglund.com/

BB

There's a technique described here in Chapter 5: http://www.jspublications.net/tips/Breakin...Shot/index.html

Thanks for the link Doc. I just got a hammered double a few weeks ago and am still trying to figure out the technique that works for me. I am going to try and practice using the Deuce SxS method he demonstartes in the recently posted video combined with your hammer technique.

Bucky,

Keep in mind that my best times might be in the neighborhood of Sgt. Eli's fair to middlin' times and I won't sully T-Bones times with a comparison to mine.

The method that works for me is to trip the release lever with the shooting hand, holding the gun to my shoulder with the forward hand. I push the hinge pin up and back to open the gun and eject the spent shells while going to the belt for 2 fresh shells with strong/firing hand. Load and as I move the strong hand to the triggers I sweep the hammers down and back to cock with the palm of that hand ( at this point my fingers are pointing straight inline with the barrels), this also aids in closing the gun.

Takes way longer to type than to do.

Hope this helps

Smoke

Have not looked at the way Doc shows on his site yet.

But will say this.

Day in and day out. Nobody can run a hammered double better than how T-Bone does it.

Or Cowhand for that matter. But he does it the same way.

Just watching them shoot. If you did not know it was a hammered double. You would never guess.

As fast as you hit the release. They have done it AND cocked the hammers all in one motion.

They can run a Hammered Double faster than 99.5% can run a hammerless.

Wish Bone and Nuttin would make a how to DVD.

With Bone showing his HD shotgun method.

And of course a how to on Double Duelist.

Nuttin runs a hammerless and does it the same as in Deuces video.

T-Bone has probably the best method I have seen, I use it modified a little for my type shotgun. Fire 2 sweep the left hand back along the barrels, thumb opens lever while index finger and hand sweep across and cock both hammers, give a small sharp jerk dumping the empties while left hand grabs next 2 shells, buttstock remains at or near shoulder at all times, focus on the chambers, load 2 with a rocking motion (watch Duece's video for this) and go again. This gets me in the high 3 to low 4 second range for 4 shots with gun coming off the table

+1 for the "T-Bone Double Cock" method. It's the fastest method for me, course I can't do it as fast as T-Bone or SGT. ELI. Just timed myself last weekend at 6@10.23 and 8@13.65, from the Cowboy Port Arms position, using my TTN.

Ghost

I was wandering around EOT a coupla years ago and there was the Tres Amigos, T-Bone, Nuttin' and Cowhand fixin' to do a little drill time. So I thought to watch a bit.... pretty soon they had me all gunned up and workin' their SXS's because mine was "too stiff to even learn on."

By the end of EOT I had tennis elbow so bad that I couldn't dry my face with a towel let alone shoot. Heck, I even had to drive with my left arm for a month. Then there was about 4-5 trips to Run N Iron to get the gun right. Don't even think for a moment you can do it like they do unless that gun will rock.

Here's a video of Tbone: TBone Shooting SXS

Another of Badlands Bud: Badlands Bud

Since then I've been able to get my times down to that 4 sec range off the table with hands at high surrender.

Kinda works for me........

Non shooting hand, in one motion: with thumb cocked, bring web of index finger to both hammers, when contact is made release bbl release with thumb, at same time sweep both hammers back with index finger, continue motion down to shot belt to grab reloads while pumping gun forward to eject spent shells with shooting hand! repeat as necessary. For ejecting shells and loading technique check out Deuces video, can't do it much better than that.....

Unless you can sing a little ABBA while shooting!

After firing my TTN, and keeping the butt of the gun on my shoulder, I hook both hammers with my trigger finger & cock them together while at the same time actuating the barrel release lever with my thumb. Still leaving the butt of the gun on my shoulder, I elevate the hinged section of the gun, dumping the empties out over my shoulder while my left hand is retrieving two shells from the belt. After leveling the stock, I rock 2 shells into the chambers & raise the barrels to lock & point at the next target to engage. With a little practice & lightened springs this is a smooth & fast technique that I originally developed for pulling 4 with a mule eared double, however my fingers were not quite long enough to always keep the 4th from jumping out......... :FlagAm:

Anvil, I would buy it and most especially if they could get together with Lassiter and include a segment on the '87 and Gunfightering (my new $5 word for today).

There was a Cowboys episode about shotguns that had just this (T-Bone on hammered double and Lassiter on the 87) as well as demonstrations on the 97 by...I don't remember. Possibly Evil Roy? Somebody help.

Archived