SASS Wire Forum

Early Morning trip..

Deja Vous

tonight I was getting stuff ready to go to Dads house.. and I thought about a lot of stuff. I have a good friend who keeps telling me in a very gentle kinda way that speed kills.. I know that. My father has driven fast since the day I was born and he is 91 .. He taught me to drive, and so the nut does not fall far from the tree. If you ever ride with my Daddy he will tell ya how to drive.. lol.. And I listen.. lol. But now I have more voices telling me that 80 is not safe .. I drive as fast as the fastest driver is willing to go, and since I was raised on the edge, I love the speed. I have for decades enjoyed fast, and dangerous, and risk..

How do you slow down when you were raised on speed? I will try tomorrow to go under 80 ... to me 80 is notihng.. I am from the muscle car era of bury the speedometer .... with the windows down.. lol. I had a 1968 used of course.. Spitfire with dual carbs in british racing green and yep I was fast, and I paid a lot of repair bills too.. lol..

So, how do you take the lead out of your foot.. how do you learn to slow down and care if ya make it past tomorrow.. when life is so much fun in the fast lane?

Repair bills ain't nothing compared to the cost of Calif. speeding tickets. $350 a few times might take the lead out of your foot.

Plus points on your record add up too. To many will get you a no insurance or drivers license. Taking the bus ain't no fun.

Big Jake

Maybe.. but so far the need for speed has not stopped me.. Do you think is is a learned lesson, or a learned love? lol

Slow down DV and smell the roses! Look at nature, and at a slower speed y'all will be able to see God's creation at its best!

Oh and speed does kill. Slow down, we saloonitics need you around to brighten up our day!

If it was possible I would travel by horseback, (except in the winter) :ph34r:

Tascosa

SLOW DOWN!

Think of some innocent people that you might take out with your reckless actions.

There are others that could or may be affected. Would you like to orphan a child?

Perhaps even maim or take their life?.

There are consequences to our actions. Even ones that we do not consider.

So, please take the time to reflect on such things. The mere fact that your

father is 91 and has not had an accident does not exempt you from perhaps

not being so fortunate.

So please, for everybody's sake, SLOW DOWN.

Life is hard enough, don't make it more so.

I hate to admit it,but I'm also one with a trend to "push" the speed limit just a tad.Here in Montana the freeway limit is 75,so naurally I tend to run 80ish.Secondary highways are for the most part 70,so again is 75ish.The only vehicle I drive at or under the limit is my 72 pickup.That's mainly because it'll pass anything but a gas station.I have slowed down in my "old age" used to be higher than that when there was NO daytime limit in this state.

Code Of The West:

Be respectful of yourself and others.

Be a good friend and neighbor.

Roy

tonight I was getting stuff ready to go to Dads house.. and I thought about a lot of stuff. I have a good friend who keeps telling me in a very gentle kinda way that speed kills.. I know that. My father <SNIP>

So, how do you take the lead out of your foot.. how do you learn to slow down and care if ya make it past tomorrow.. when life is so much fun in the fast lane?

Well now ma'am -

Spent a lot of years driving rice-burners, got onto a Harley and finally slowed down enough to enjoy the ride.

That's what worked for me - decided I was more interested in the doing then in the arriving.

I like seeing the world around me, and taking my time enjoying it moment by moment.

That's not to say that while driving highway 50 in Nevada a few years back I wasn't doing 80 a lot - the SL

like to run, it's long legged and gets great mileage at 80, better than at 55. In the open desert with nothing around but

coyote I'm willing to go with the speeds the highway permits, but as soon as the place gets a bit of traffic or civilization,

it's time to slow down.

It's up to you - what are you trying to do? If you're trying to prove something to someone by driving that way - you will.

As well as to a lot of others.

If you're just trying to find some stimulation while driving, and going fast is what it takes, then you really need another driver -

cause that kind of adrenaline junky behavior will get you or someone dead.

The question isn't how long you or anyone else got away with it - the questions is can you afford the consequences of not getting

away with it.

YMMV -

SC

I too used to have a speed problem. The certified speedo I put in my Road Runner quit at 140 and I pegged it a few times. Started to think about liabiity. Dont want to go to jail or loose my right to own guns. How could I play with my Pard's??? J-R

When I was drivin' my 18 wheeler, 109 mph was comfortable.

Just think, here's a vechicle, 70 foot long, bumper to bumper, carryin' 40 tons of product, travelin' at 109 mph.

But in a car, I freak out at 80 mph!! :)

Dat aint safe, no sir, no way, no how !!!! :)

tonight I was getting stuff ready to go to Dads house.. and I thought about a lot of stuff. I have a good friend who keeps telling me in a very gentle kinda way that speed kills.. I know that. My father has driven fast since the day I was born and he is 91 .. He taught me to drive, and so the nut does not fall far from the tree. If you ever ride with my Daddy he will tell ya how to drive.. lol.. And I listen.. lol. But now I have more voices telling me that 80 is not safe .. I drive as fast as the fastest driver is willing to go, and since I was raised on the edge, I love the speed. I have for decades enjoyed fast, and dangerous, and risk..

How do you slow down when you were raised on speed? I will try tomorrow to go under 80 ... to me 80 is notihng.. I am from the muscle car era of bury the speedometer .... with the windows down.. lol. I had a 1968 used of course.. Spitfire with dual carbs in british racing green and yep I was fast, and I paid a lot of repair bills too.. lol..

It's a little device called "CRUISE CONTROL" :)

1) Speeding is a bad habit. You break it like you break any other habit: Willpower and patience. Eventually your "normal" will reset to a slower speed.

2) Use the cruise control. If you don't have one, get one.

3) Leave WAY earlier than usual.

4) Take a deep breath and relax - 55 or 65 mph is still plenty fast. Pioneers would be lucky to make that in 2 or 3 days.

5) Think of all the people who would be heartbroken if you were to die, and how you would feel if you killed someone else.

Dog Ears (What's a reformed speeder) Wilson

My son is finally learning, at least I hope he is about driving fast. He lost his license for 3 months, stayed clean a year and then got another ticket, I think he'll just squeak by and be able to keep it as one of the others should have rolled off, but he's been sweating it. The higher insurance has been painful on him as well.

I tend to be a slow poke, and leave plenty of room around me, but I do push it on the interstate at times. Limit plus 5. One thing I've learned is I don't have to pass every car in front of me, and often will just fall in line in the slow lane unless they are going well under the limit.

One thing I told my kids is that even though they may be safe driving fast, they have absolutely no control over the idiots around and in front of them.

Just slow down, ... You'll get a more harmonious outcome. :)

Lol.. well you know I feel in total harmony at 80 .lol

Slow down DV and smell the roses! Look at nature, and at a slower speed y'all will be able to see God's creation at its best!

Oh and speed does kill. Slow down, we saloonitics need you around to brighten up our day!

If it was possible I would travel by horseback, (except in the winter) :)

Tascosa

It seems my life is in the fast lane most of the time, and always has been. I love nature, and when I am out in it I do slow down... I could spend a day playing in a stream barefoot.. or looking for gold.. lol.. But the wheel of a car for some reason is my speed zone. Course my firsting driving lessons where with the fast man on wheels, my father.. lol. At 91 he is still hitting 80... Its grooming it training.. I guess.. lol. Tonight on the way down I caught the really meaning of a "thrill" with a gust of wind.. lol.. From one lane almost to the next, even working at keeping it over was little help. It was a lucky moment. like they all are on the road when you make it home after a close one.. lol. I was not going 80, only 75..lol. so, I did cut down by 5 MPH.. I am working on it... Thanks.. but ya'll brighten my day!

SLOW DOWN!

Think of some innocent people that you might take out with your reckless actions.

There are others that could or may be affected. Would you like to orphan a child?

Perhaps even maim or take their life?.

There are consequences to our actions. Even ones that we do not consider.

So, please take the time to reflect on such things. The mere fact that your

father is 91 and has not had an accident does not exempt you from perhaps

not being so fortunate.

So please, for everybody's sake, SLOW DOWN.

Life is hard enough, don't make it more so.

I know.. and I am working on it.. I really am. My dad was only in one really bad accident, and it was not his fault.... And yes, he does handle a car a lot better than I do... he is a bit stronger still.. lol. And it is reckless... and thoughtless really.. cuz I am thinking of the rush for me... so... I am working on it.. There is a lot more traffic here, and I am taking chances with other peoples lives..

Take some lead out of your foot and put it in your butt. Slow down and smell the roses.

Willies that is funny... How are you feeling?? I hope your doing really well...

:) yep Deja, me too. Drivin' up the 15 freeway to Vegas, which goes thru Victorville.

I kinda cruise thru tha desert at 80 an sumtimes only goin' 80... yer in tha way.

Yeah, that is the truth... But it is too fast, no doubt about it... But it is fun.. lol

Well now ma'am -

Spent a lot of years driving rice-burners, got onto a Harley and finally slowed down enough to enjoy the ride.

That's what worked for me - decided I was more interested in the doing then in the arriving.

I like seeing the world around me, and taking my time enjoying it moment by moment.

That's not to say that while driving highway 50 in Nevada a few years back I wasn't doing 80 a lot - the SL

like to run, it's long legged and gets great mileage at 80, better than at 55. In the open desert with nothing around but

coyote I'm willing to go with the speeds the highway permits, but as soon as the place gets a bit of traffic or civilization,

it's time to slow down.

It's up to you - what are you trying to do? If you're trying to prove something to someone by driving that way - you will.

As well as to a lot of others.

If you're just trying to find some stimulation while driving, and going fast is what it takes, then you really need another driver -

cause that kind of adrenaline junky behavior will get you or someone dead.

The question isn't how long you or anyone else got away with it - the questions is can you afford the consequences of not getting

away with it.

YMMV -

SC

I guess I am doing it just for the speed of it all.. and yeah, I am a risk taker... Less now than when I was younger. But there is something relaxing about turning up he CD, putting down my windows, feeling the wind on your face and in your hair, and going fast!!! A sort of release I guess.... or maybe just a bad habit.. who knows..

I too used to have a speed problem. The certified speedo I put in my Road Runner quit at 140 and I pegged it a few times. Started to think about liabiity. Dont want to go to jail or loose my right to own guns. How could I play with my Pard's??? J-R

Good point.. I dont want to lose my guns.. But a Road Runner... hmmmm wowo.. lol

When I was drivin' my 18 wheeler, 109 mph was comfortable.

Just think, here's a vechicle, 70 foot long, bumper to bumper, carryin' 40 tons of product, travelin' at 109 mph.

But in a car, I freak out at 80 mph!! :)

Dat aint safe, no sir, no way, no how !!!! :)

Just close your eyes at 80... lol.. okay fine just kidding..

1) Speeding is a bad habit. You break it like you break any other habit: Willpower and patience. Eventually your "normal" will reset to a slower speed.

2) Use the cruise control. If you don't have one, get one.

3) Leave WAY earlier than usual.

4) Take a deep breath and relax - 55 or 65 mph is still plenty fast. Pioneers would be lucky to make that in 2 or 3 days.

5) Think of all the people who would be heartbroken if you were to die, and how you would feel if you killed someone else.

Dog Ears (What's a reformed speeder) Wilson

Thanks.. and I really am working on it.. I know I appear crazy on here.. well, uh I am.. lol.. But I don't want top hurt anyone else.. and frankly my little car seems to not stop as fast out here.. loll... Something about the "lot more traffic" factor I guess.. lol

Just close your eyes at 80... lol.. okay fine just kidding..

But it's only 4 wheels, not dat 18 wheels I'm used too !! :)

Why can't folks understand, da more wheels I got, da better I like it !? :)

OK you have gone the two miles to your dads house...Now take off the parking brake...

Texas Lizard

lol. that is funny...

Good Morning Deja From The Indian Nation. My Free Advice to you Is To Invest In A Very High Quality Radar Detector And Then Learn To Use It.Then Or If Not First Retain a Lawyer That Specializes In Traffic Tickets. Neither Are Cheap!!Then Buy A Car That Will Not Stick out In Traffic with Color Or Noise.Otherwise Slow The He)) Down And Smell The Roses!Beats Wearing Them!

I guess I am doing it just for the speed of it all.. and yeah, I am a risk taker... Less now than when I was younger. But there is something relaxing about turning up he CD, putting down my windows, feeling the wind on your face and in your hair, and going fast!!! A sort of release I guess.... or maybe just a bad habit.. who knows..

Deja, ... If we can't get the point across, maybe this will.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/01/16/...in7251768.shtml

SPEED KILLS!

Deja, ... If we can't get the point across, maybe this will.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/01/16/...in7251768.shtml

SPEED KILLS!

They dont even look like cars... ugh... I stopped at an accident scene a long time ago and had to give CPR, the hard part was I knew the guy from school. Thanks Dutches..

Archived