SASS Wire Forum

sxs reload

Guest diablo slim shootist

Guest diablo slim shootist

Do you or have you seen a shooter pull and load 4 shotshells while

shooting a double seems like it can be done but never seen it. :FlagAm:

thanks for your replys-Diablo

I have seen it done but the person doing it had very large hands and was quite dexterous. He was pulling with a finger between the two sets of shells somehow. My hands are too small for it so I wasn't paying particularly close attention. Sorry.

I tried it several times and I think with some practice it might work. Don't know if it would be any faster on average. I think it might work better with exposed hammers as my biggest issue was opening/cocking the gun without dropping the second set of shells.

I tried it at Hell on Wheels this last year, but I must have been a little smoother than RRRs description or Painted Filly would have remembered.

Hamley

IF the stage is laid out right to where you move to the shotgun and can have both hands free during the move, yo can pull two rounds in each hand. Pick up the shotgun with your forearm hand while holding two rounds. Load with trigger hand and shoot. Then follow up with Off hand loading.

Not many stages are setup to be able to do this. It's just not worth practicing all that much.

I believe Doc Shapiro had a pull 4 for a sxs method. It was different than the pull 4 for a '97 in that you pulled 2 in each hand, I tried it and it worked pretty well for me under the right conditions. If the shot gun is staged a few steps from the previous position pull 2 shells with each hand as you move, load the 2 from the strong hand. Fire those then load the 2 from the weak hand.

If the shot gun is with in reach I grab it with the weak hand and load with the strong hand and repeat as needed.

Hope this helps,

Smoke

I have a way I do it when I am moving to the SG.L pull 2 with my palm and twist over and get 2 with my fingertips.I load the 2 with my fingertips first and keep the other 2 in my palm.It does tend to ding up your forearm with the two in the palm.I do not know how to post pictures yet or I would. Largo

have seen it, RRR description is mild compared to what I thought it looked like. Anything that limits your ability to handle the gun (i.e. hands full of shells) slows you down. It's not unheard of for good double guys to run 3.25-3.50 sec. for 4 knockdowns at match speed and I don't see many ways to improve on that as far as SxS's go.

IF the stage is laid out right to where you move to the shotgun and can have both hands free during the move, yo can pull two rounds in each hand. Pick up the shotgun with your forearm hand while holding two rounds. Load with trigger hand and shoot. Then follow up with Off hand loading.

Not many stages are setup to be able to do this. It's just not worth practicing all that much.

I've done this before and it works rather well. Then again anything helps my shotgun shooting and handling, one of these days I should actually practice. Oh, sorry, I said the P word. My bad.

Grizz

Seen Dirt Merchant do it. Looked real smooth and fast. However only when showing off, never in a match. I have enough trouble with two to make it worse. Hay Dirt, how about putting your four load on u-tube.

McKenzie

I saw it once, it reminded me of a one legged man trying ta put out a grass fire, so i didn't persue it any further.

RRR

Now that's funny right there... started my day off with a laugh...

Thanks RRR

Rance :ph34r:

Thinkin' I coud drop more than I could get in the gun :blush:

PS.. anybody thinkin' of this should watch Deuce's SxS loading video...

This ought to be put on the members website :ph34r:

Jack, I was sure I remembered Nuttin trying it also, but I believe he came up with the same conclusion as Doc mentioned,....the fumble factor just to great. And, at best he probably seldom, if ever, beat his normal average time, which like Duece, is pretty dern fast. bb

RRR, described it brilliantly. For the sake of science, I think Ray and Deuce should try this at ecvery match for the next year and report back to us with their findings.

For about 99% of the shooters in the sport pulling 4 with a 97 is about as productive. It looks cool but it cost you on the clock.

Seen Dirt Merchant do it. Looked real smooth and fast. However only when showing off, never in a match. I have enough trouble with two to make it worse. Hay Dirt, how about putting your four load on u-tube.

McKenzie

That might be too much pressure. I have used it in matches but it only saves time if you are running to the shotgun from another position. Snce I haven't been running too fast the last few years it made sense

After firing my TTN, and keeping the butt of the gun on my shoulder, I hook both hammers with my trigger finger & cock them together while at the same time actuating the barrel release lever with my thumb. Still leaving the butt of the gun on my shoulder, I elevate the hinged section of the gun, dumping the empties out over my shoulder while my left hand is retrieving two shells from the belt. After leveling the stock, I rock 2 shells into the chambers & raise the barrels to lock & point at the next target to engage. With a little practice & lightened springs this is a smooth & fast technique that I originally developed for pulling 4 with a mule eared double, however my fingers were not quite long enough to always keep the 4th from jumping out......... :FlagAm:

and next you're going to ask me to do all that AND chew gum. Ain't happening. I have too much trouble with 2 at a time.

Tried it once.

Had folks fighting to shoot after me and gather up all my dropped rounds.

Musta figured they would never have to buy/reload shotshells again :blink:

Regards

:)

Gateway Kid

Archived