SASS Wire Forum

I found this interesting.

Utah Bob #35998

Bob, THAT was creepy! I didn't have a really rough time over there. I used to feel guilty about it...something like "survivor syndrome," I suppose, but it never really affected me. It is good to be in the 1/3d that are still alive though.

I remember that, in my unit, there was an old joke...."When the sergeant yells 'GET DOWN!!!!', DON'T start dancing!"

:FlagAm:

Thanks, UB

It's interesing to see that the number of Veterans has decreased so much, yet the number of those claiming to have been there has sky rocketed.

Trying to build pride with a bucket of lies is shameful, to put it as nicely as I can.

I've said it before and I will say it forever, Thank you fine folks for your service.

:FlagAm:

~EE Taft~

It does not bode well for my father then, as he was there and is 73. He always told me not to serve and like the rebellious child I did anyway. He rarely talks about it except to tell normal stories such as about going to do a Persannel Asset Inventory for the 1st Cav as they had been infiltrated by viet cong or how when they got there (he was in the 9th ID) they were told they had to wait for the sergeant of the guard to tell them they could shoot an armed gook even though no wire was laid and no fox holes dug yet. He would tell me how they would be shelled by a village and could not do anything about it, yet the 1st Cav would be shelled and go back that night with their tanks and level the place. He said politics would favor one unit over another. They offered to promote him to warrant officer if he would reup and stay 2 more months, but he said 11 months was enough for him.

Talk about feeling guilty! I served in the Air Force from 66-70 and did not go to Viet Nam. While my buddies were under fire I was polishing fire trucks in England. I can't say I'm proud of my service but, I signed the blank check and the government never cashed it. I am proud to have served, I didn't run or evade but being a "Viet Nam Era" vet is like kissing your sister.

Bugs

Talk about feeling guilty! I served in the Air Force from 66-70 and did not go to Viet Nam. While my buddies were under fire I was polishing fire trucks in England. I can't say I'm proud of my service but, I signed the blank check and the government never cashed it. I am proud to have served, I didn't run or evade but being a "Viet Nam Era" vet is like kissing your sister.

Bugs

Nothing to feel guilty about, being a firefighter is just as dangerous as many of the "in country" assignments.

Sad if it's true, but my BS detector is twitching.

Could be. Can't verify it.

Bob,

What I didn't read in the report is a stat that I heard on the Huckabee show, and that is since the Vietnam War ended over 100,000 Vietnam era Vets had taken their own lives. Hard to believe, I'd like to know if that is true?

Roy

I'm at the VA Hospital in Loma Linda from 1 to 3 times every week seeking help for a number of health conditions. Another stat that I did not read in the report is how many Vietnam Era Vets were severely assaulted by mobs of violent anti war protestors when they arrived back home in uniform???? What about them, are they invisable????

Roy

Bob,

What I didn't read in the report is a stat that I heard on the Huckabee show, and that is since the Vietnam War ended over 100,000 Vietnam era Vets had taken their own lives. Hard to believe, I'd like to know if that is true?

Roy

That sounds like a really wild figure. Comes out to about 2,800 a year since '75. Could be though.

I'm at the VA Hospital in Loma Linda from 1 to 3 times every week seeking help for a number of health conditions. Another stat that I did not read in the report is how many Vietnam Era Vets were severely assaulted by mobs of violent anti war protestors when they arrived back home in uniform???? What about them, are they invisable????

Roy

I only personally heard of 2 cases of guys being spat on and attacked when they returned.

Both of those guys turned out to be fakes.

I've met quite a few who were. I've seen their pain, I know it personally. Many of them have attempted taking their lives. Many buried their pain very deep for a lot of years. One thing I have learrned at the VA Hospital, never dismiss a Veterans pain or question their personal integrity.

Roy

Sad numbers.. God bless Gordon Stark, and Robert Pearson, Bill (Stanley) Cook, Dixon Montgomery, and Gary Vanstone who is alive today but AO cost him so much in his life. My heart misses them ..

I only personally heard of 2 cases of guys being spat on and attacked when they returned.

Both of those guys turned out to be fakes.

I had a young lady spit on me wen i got back -

No wait----That wer sumthin else entirely :blush:

Roy

Not a mob but a hairhead spit on me.........

Archived