SASS Wire Forum

Lee LoadAll Bushing Mod

Been using the Lee Dipper method to make up my BP/sub shotshells and got tired of the extra step after depriming - sizing - repriming. Figured if I could use the loader to drop powder the job would go faster, but none of the supplied bushings were big enough, and couldn't just transfer a shot bushing to the powder side of the charge bar since Lee made them different outside diameters. Then inspiration struck.

Took one of the bushings I never use and started doing some trim work on it. Started by running a 1/2" tapered reamer through it to increase the I.D. Checked it against a scoopful ... not enough. Still needed more hole, so I started trimming material off the top of the bushing. Found the best method is to swipe it over a piece of sandpaper. Kept trimming and checking until I reached the point where, when inserted in the charge bar the amount of powder the total hole (charge bar and bushing) held as much as the 4.3 CC scoop. Checked against a BP measure it's right at 62 grains volume. A final turn with a large countersink to taper the mouth of the bushing to improve powder flow finished the job. I also chamfered the edge of the hole on the charge bar to reduce bridging and shearing.

Ran a few experimental throws to check the results (both by volume and weight) and the modified bushing is just as accurate as using the dipper, and a lot less labor intensive.

Thanks Capt,

Very interesting. I do not shoot CAS BP anymore. But I used to reload my 12 GA shotshells thru a Lee Load-All using a 4.0 CC Lee Dipper (aka 60 grs. BP) to measure BP into my shotshells, rather than using the Lee powder discharge section. Looks like your post addresses that issue very well. Well done, pard.

Chicken Coop

My Wonnerful Hubby did a mod like that for my Load-All, too. I've been making shotgun ammo for years and it has held up well. Much easier than dipping.

If somebody comes up with a mod for that lame primer feed, please share it. I love my Load All, but the primer feed is the weak link in the process.

My Wonnerful Hubby did a mod like that for my Load-All, too. I've been making shotgun ammo for years and it has held up well. Much easier than dipping.

If somebody comes up with a mod for that lame primer feed, please share it. I love my Load All, but the primer feed is the weak link in the process.

I use CHEDITE Primers in mine. They slide easier and don't jam as often as any others. Just be sure to keep the slide full.

Captain, it really is a shame, isn't it, that the manufacturers leave us BP shooters in the closet when it comes to reloading shotgun hulls. I did the same with a MEC 650 progressive bushing to drop 82grs with 1 1/8 shot for a square load. Have 3 cases doing it this way and really enjoyed being able to just pull the handle

Captain, it really is a shame, isn't it, that the manufacturers leave us BP shooters in the closet when it comes to reloading shotgun hulls. I did the same with a MEC 650 progressive bushing to drop 82grs with 1 1/8 shot for a square load. Have 3 cases doing it this way and really enjoyed being able to just pull the handle

They are afraid of litigation. :ph34r:

You got that right John Boy. Maybe the press manufacturers figure we're such a small niche market we're not worth catering to, or as UB suggests they've worried themselves into wetting their bloomers on that 1 in 100,000,000 chance.

The fact that a number of us have come up with the same mod proves that BP shooters are a resourceful lot.

Lou, I turn a box of primers upside down on the table next to the press, slide the cover back to drop 10 onto the table, then just take the re-sized hull and push it down a bit on one of the primers, then to the priming station. It's a bit slower than a properly operating primer feed, but faster than constantly fiddling with the primer feed.

I recall a post from another pard how he fixed his primer feeder by making a shim from a sliver of card stock to expand the rails on the ramp to keep the primers moving.

Now if we could figure out a way to get it to raise up and feed the primer onto the anvil without having to reach through or around the press .....

Lou, I turn a box of primers upside down on the table next to the press, slide the cover back to drop 10 onto the table, then just take the re-sized hull and push it down a bit on one of the primers, then to the priming station. It's a bit slower than a properly operating primer feed, but faster than constantly fiddling with the primer feed.

Same thing I do. Works way better than the lousy primer feed. J-R

Archived