SASS Wire Forum

Plumbing is expensive

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

Sprung a leak in a drain under the kitchen sink. Busted PVC pipe right where it goes through to footer into the foundation. $1,700.00 later it's fixed and I'm waiting for a man to come patch the hole in the outside wall, re-stucco, and repaint it to match. Probably another $300-$400, maybe more.

I guess I really didn't need that Burgess lever action rifle after all.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHcrap!

I had a plumber do some work for me once, not to long after that I did some gunwork for him, ever heard of a 650usd trigger job.... same cost as the plumber charge me.. n I did it in 5 min, while he waz standing there...

Try this. Been having problems with loose tiles in my house. Finally 12 tiles buckled up around Christmas time. Insurance company blamed faulty installation and denied the claim (tiles were installed about 30 yrs ago). Was forced to hire an insurance cosultant company that goes against the insurance company. Essentially they (we) will be suing the insurance company, and they have a 100% success ratio. I've used their services before. In their estimation the damages are somewhere between 60 to 80 grand :FlagAm: and we will have to move out of the house while the repairs are done. It seems I have rotted sewer lines and the floors have to be torn up. BTW, this is not uncommon here in south Florida.

Makes a simple clogged toilet look like childs play, don't it?

This was my Christmas present.

Sprung a leak in a drain under the kitchen sink. Busted PVC pipe right where it goes through to footer into the foundation. $1,700.00 later it's fixed and I'm waiting for a man to come patch the hole in the outside wall, re-stucco, and repaint it to match. Probably another $300-$400, maybe more.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHcrap!

Yeah - but as he was driving away he was thinking to himself that now he could buy that Burgess!

I like getting paid when I work on things, sure he does too, and probably all of us here as well!

It's the great circle of life - sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

SC

BTW - my neighbor was saving up for his vacation, but he had to spend it all on a 6-way bypass in early December -

he's glad to be here visiting us even if his pockets are empty.

He isn't a shooter, but I don't begrudge him a penny. He came within two hours of being called, found and fixed the problem, and cleaned up the messes. He was even nice to my poor old dog. He offered the name of someone to do the wall repair, but I have a guy who does exceptional work and is semi-retired so he works cheap.

If I had done it my self it would have taken weeks, been screwed up like Hogan's goat, and ended up costing at least 5X as much because of all the collateral damage I would have caused.

When I was an independent financial services business owner my motto was "I know more than you do. Pay me." Every time I made my clients a lot of money I got paid. I had people refuse my services and watched a lot of them lose their a--es, not all, but most.

This laddie earned his keep this morning.....but I still mourn that rifle. :FlagAm:

A plumber presented me with a bill for work he had just completed.

I looked at the total and told him that my father is a neuro surgeon and he doesn't make that kind of money.

He just looked at me and said that he didn't either...when he was a surgeon. :rolleyes:

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHcrap!

You have inside plumbing now? lol

I just had to replace my five year old electric water heater (leaking in several places). Was close to $1K installed for a lifetime model. A minor "OK s**t, but here comes the fun part. I have seven days after the install to get a $35 permit from Berkeley County, WV. When I asked why, the answer was it started out with requiring a permit for gas heaters to make sure that an authorized installer was used. They decided to add all heaters as a revenue enhancer. I'll pay the permit fee, and then get to harangue my County Council about this idiotic permit.

As a young man I started in the plumbing business and served an apprenticeship under a great teacher/journeyman. One day he sent me to a house to do a job for a very nice lady. I arrived at her home and she directed me to the basement where the problem was. I spent several hours down there and more trips to the truck than I can count trying to solve the problem. I finally finished and cleaned up and presented my bill for the services rendered, $500.00 if I recall correctly. She was extremely happy to pay for the work, and to have her plumbing working again. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago. It has been about 20 years since I was that green behind the ears apprentice and I went back to that same ladies home. She greeted me at the door and we shared a moment of pleasantness before I headed down stairs to work on the problem. I went out to the truck and grabbed my hammer and took it into the basement, delivered a blow to the pipe and the problem was solved! I went back to her and presented my bill for $500. She was very unhappy this time. "It only took you 5 minutes to fix that! I want an itemized bill!!!" I smiled and took back the invoice and wrote on it.

1-blow from hammer...........$5.00

Knowing where to hit with hammer........$495

Sometimes it is nice learning from our past experiences.

Red (still plumbing) Steele

(My absolute favorite plumbing joke, ever.)

Wasn't plumbing. Border collie mix tried to herd car and car won. I gave into wife and daughters and took the dog to Plano for surgery. $3500 later, six weeks of rehab, and we hope he has a functional elbow again.

I really didn't need that new Shiloh after all.

I was about 26 when I went to find a dog and ended up with a doberman.. They were going to put him down, he had mange. So I dipped him in sheep dip until he went crazy and about attack me.. long story.. Anyhow.. his favorite thing was to run as fast as he could across the yard and run into another person or dog.. One day he ruin a ligament the cruciate I think it is called? Anyhow... I paid to cast him so he would not be a 3 legged dog.. lol. I love that hound.. he had floppy ears cuz they never cut them.. and the dog loved me right back. No one could raise their voice around me without him growling.. I have a sort of soft voice even though I laugh a BIT .. lol and the dog was use to me.. so loud voices made him growl.. people moving towards me swinging their arms or yelling, he was not happy.. lol. My Daddy came to visit, and he use to talk a bit with his arms and hands .. the dog laid on the floor by me grrrrr .. grrr... lol.. I had to put him in the garage.. The point is it cost me 800 that was a long t ime ago.. and he was worth every penny to me.. Just like Rats.. having her is a piece of gold in my life. She loves me even when I am just crazy Deja. lol.. So, pets are worth it..

Still I didn't know Forty's had inside plumbing.. lol

Thank God it was the House Pluming needing fixed and not the Wife's

Did that in '92.

You have inside plumbing now? lol

Yep. Put carpet in the bathroom last summer. Teh wife likes it so well we might run it all the way up to the house.

As a young man I started in the plumbing business and served an apprenticeship under a great teacher/journeyman. One day he sent me to a house to do a job for a very nice lady. I arrived at her home and she directed me to the basement where the problem was. I spent several hours down there and more trips to the truck than I can count trying to solve the problem. I finally finished and cleaned up and presented my bill for the services rendered, $500.00 if I recall correctly. She was extremely happy to pay for the work, and to have her plumbing working again. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago. It has been about 20 years since I was that green behind the ears apprentice and I went back to that same ladies home. She greeted me at the door and we shared a moment of pleasantness before I headed down stairs to work on the problem. I went out to the truck and grabbed my hammer and took it into the basement, delivered a blow to the pipe and the problem was solved! I went back to her and presented my bill for $500. She was very unhappy this time. "It only took you 5 minutes to fix that! I want an itemized bill!!!" I smiled and took back the invoice and wrote on it.

1-blow from hammer...........$5.00

Knowing where to hit with hammer........$495

Sometimes it is nice learning from our past experiences.

Red (still plumbing) Steele

(My absolute favorite plumbing joke, ever.)

My dad bought one of the first TVs in our town when they finally got it over the mountains from Salt Lake. Cabinet the size of a player piano. Durn thang quit so Dad called the repairman and the fella charged Dad $25.00. Dad said something like "$25.00 for a vacuum tube?' The guy looked at Dad and said, "Nope the tube is three bucks Knowing which tube is twenty-two."

Dad looked at me and told me to NEVER forget that lesson. That's where I got the motto, "I know more than you do. Pay me."

Archived