SASS Wire Forum

For The Saloon

I dont know about y'all, but I have had it up to HERE with news people using the term "gunman" to describe anyone who uses a firearm as a tool while committing a crime.

They dont say "Knifeman", "Clubman", "Fistman", or even "GunWoman". But the cliche' of "GUNMAN" is all pervasive.

And I think it's time We, the people, tell them, the TeeVee bosses, that we are "mad as hell and wont take it any more".

The criminals, alleged or convicted, should be referred to as KILLERS, MURDERERS, SUSPECTS, PERPETRATORS, or other term that puts the responsibility for the action on the person. GUNman vilifies the gun, not the person!

DO NOT CALL the TV station (radio station or newspaper), as your message will NOT get passed on.

WRITE a letter and copy it. Send one to the attention of the News Director and one to the General Manager (you can usually find their names on the station's website).

In detail describe the abuse of the word gunman (your reporter, Jane Doe, used the term gunman 7 times in her 5pm piece and 4 more times in her 6pm piece etc.). Explain what is wrong with that word and ask that it be stricken from the vocabulary of ALL news writers. The more exact your letter, the better your letter will be received. BTW - Every letter goes into their FCC file, too!

Together, working from the bottom up, maybe - just maybe- we can slowly change the anti-gun media to a more moderate and factual operation.

Explain that the PERSON committed the crime. The VAN did not crash into the building, the DRIVER DROVE the van into the building. Individual responsibility, not vilification of the tool. Have you ever noticed that "not-so-green" vehicles do bad things, but "green vehicles" don't?

"The SUV swerved into oncoming traffic and killed a family of 6." "The pickup flew into the air and came to rest on two kids waiting for a school bus."

"The driver of a Prius mistook the accelerator for the brake pedal and ran her car into a store front."

Using the word "gunman" is NOT a conscious thought process for the news writers. They just rely heavily on established cliche's. Letters to the News Director (and the GM, who will chew out the ND) will bring about change in those writers and those cliche's, at least for a short while.

DO NOT STAND FOR THE TERM GUNMAN TO BE APPLIED TO A CRIMINAL ANYMORE! It is time we each took a stand against improper language

(dont get me started on "40 people were evacuated". Structures are evacuated. People are evacuated via enemas!. Look it up if you dont believe me!)

Hold the media responsible for their mistakes. Point them out with precision, explain what your complaint is, and remedies (refer to the criminal and the actions of said criminal, rather than the tool employed).

I'm sorry for the rant. I just sent a similar email to a "big dawg" here at my network and got one of the most condescending replies I have ever recieved. I may not have job come Monday! (Thankfully I did not fire back the response I quickly whipped out. I sat on it for 15 minutes, then killed it, hopefully saving my sorry @$$.)

Rant mode OFF

The weekend is upon us! Let's go SHOOT something!!!! :FlagAm:

FWIW..ymmv..SOso

I hear you loud and clear over here SOso, phraseology used in the media is often overlooked by the majority of the American public, making it near subliminal messaging. people are used to hearing GUNMAN, and don't think twice about it, however I think subconsciously, they correlate murderurs who use a firearm to to weapons being evil

I'm afraid the term "gunman" is ingrained in American society and literature. It was used to refer to bad guys back in the 1800's dime novels and has been used ever since. Interesting since "rifleman" doesn't carry the same negative connotation.

I doubt that any grass roots campaign is going to make a difference. We can't even get them to understand the difference between a clip and a magazine.

What really gets me moving and writing letters is the idiotic reactionary calls for more gun control.

I'm glad you deleted your reply before sending it. I think I saved my career more than once by doing that. :FlagAm:

"Gunmen" is an old newspaper term. It's like "slay" and "slain". How many times have you ever heard in conversation "he slew 3 people", or someone threaten to "slay" somebody? Never, that's how many.

But "Three slain in weekend fight" or "gunman slays three" is common newspaperese; we've all seen it countless times.

I'd spend time on something else. After all, somebody who slays somebody with a gun is a gunman. "Gunman" doesn't mean somebody who owns guns, or shoots targets. It mean gun-using killers. Sorry, I mean slayers.....

Dude, you SLAY me!

(sorry I couldn't resist (nor will I delete) saying that!)

Serioulsly though, phone calls of complaints rarely go beyond the poor schmuck stuck answering phones.

The "Conventional Wisdom" is that, for every letter received, there are 99 more that feel the same way, but just failed to write.

Maybe I will change my alias to Gunman Slayer !

Our local evening news airhead is very fond of saying "police don't know who pulled the trigger". Guess that sounds more trendy than just saying they don't know who committed the murder. Besides, don't ya hit a little better if ya squeeze it???

Responsible journalism is a thing of the past. Walter Cronkite is dead. Eric Sevareid is dead.

It's all about appearance and ratings now.

My pet peeve is "alleged..." whatever when 100 people saw the perpetrator do it and it will be an air-tight case. They will "allege" that he may or may have done the dirty deed, and promptly blame FOR SURE honest people who own firearms sensibly. GRRRRRR!!!

Go ahead and rant, Oso...you've earned it. :FlagAm:

"Gunmen" is an old newspaper term. It's like "slay" and "slain". How many times have you ever heard in conversation "he slew 3 people", or someone threaten to "slay" somebody? Never, that's how many.

But "Three slain in weekend fight" or "gunman slays three" is common newspaperese; we've all seen it countless times.

I'd spend time on something else. After all, somebody who slays somebody with a gun is a gunman. "Gunman" doesn't mean somebody who owns guns, or shoots targets. It mean gun-using killers. Sorry, I mean slayers.....

Judges 15:5: And he found a fresh jawbone of an ass, and put forth his hand, and took it, and smote a thousand men therewith.

Now THERE'S journalism!!!

I'v had enough of Shepard Smith,he been trying to get some kind of award since Katrina,lost all respect for him as he pointed at a dead man on a bridge uncovered,i ke[t thinking cover him up, get on your hands and knee and pray for his soul,really weird how everything was in turmoil but the newspeople,just once i'd like to see one sucked up in a tornado.Good evening i'm Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepppppp ;):huh::huh: @--------------------------------------------------->

Now it's politicians,lawyers and news anchors :FlagAm::huh:

Archived