SASS Wire Forum

Winter Range is about sold out

Lt Col Scratch, SASS #23839

Howdy Folks,

Good news and bad news. Good news...we are excited to announce that Winter Range's 20th Anniversary match is just about full. We have already exceeded last years attendance record and are only a week or two away from selling out the main action match. The bad news is if you do not have your application in the mail, it may already be too late. The Wild Bunch match and all the warm-ups are already full.

We are taking applications on a first come first serve by mail only. Sorry, we cannot hold a spot for you if you call. To be fair to all shooters, we need the application in hand. We will be taking names for a waiting list, but be forewarned, the no-show rate is historically very low.

Let me assure you that we are utilizing every inch of ground, time, and manpower to accommodate as many shooters as possible. Some shooters have suggesting adding or opening more stages so as to accomodate more shooters....the answer is simple: There is no place to put them! Every bay will be in use or be in some stage of preparation throughout the six days of shooting.

Our Rough Riders and Rangers take pride in the fact that Winter Range is a "Shooter's Match" that historically runs smooth and on time. We want every shooter to have an enjoyable shooting experience at Winter Range. Oversize and backed up posses is one of the best ways to destroy that experience. Therefore, we are striving for an average posse size of 21 shooters per posse this year. Through experience we have found that a posse size of around 20 works well. We are stretching it a bit at 21.

Thank you for your continued Support.

Lt Col Scratch

Winter Range Vice President

I have total confidence that despite the sell out Winter Range will run without a hitch. The Rough Riders always do an amazing job with this match. In my opinion it's the match that all others are judged by. Looking forward to it.

So how many shooters is the max?

Painted Filly

In a perfect world it would be 36 posses times 21 makes 756. We are going to stick to that number as best we can. Every posse may not be exactly 21 due to Posse Marshal assignments, couples, etc., etc.

Scratch

There are 36 posses and 20 per posse is considered optimal. So for planning purposes we have looked at 720 as being a "full" match. As Scratch noted, we are going to try and go a little beyond that.

That is really good news considering the economy, and it is easy to see why the match is so popular each year. Those that have attended the last few years all rave about the match and come back again and again. Who wouldn't want to attend the biggest cowboy match in the world that runs like clockwork?

I have total confidence that despite the sell out Winter Range will run without a hitch. The Rough Riders always do an amazing job with this match. In my opinion it's the match that all others are judged by. Looking forward to it.

Deuce said exactly what I was thinking. Can't wait for this match every year.

Marshal Stone

Thanks Deuce!!!

Well, DANG.

Glad I got our application in early and we have our confirmation. This will be our 12th or 13th year at Winter Range (Senior Moment - can't remember <<GGG>>). This year, since Appalachia Annie has now retired, we will be driving out together (SWMBO used to fly out and back) to WR from Pittsburgh, PA. Looking forward to a great match, and looking forward to meeting up with some great pards we see only once a year. WR is truely a highlight of our year. AZ in late winter is a real treat for us.

Chicken Coop

I'll be darned if Deuce just doesn't have the best way with words. I've never shot east of the Great muddy but Winter Range is the best in the west.

Archived