SASS Wire Forum

1873 Rifle Carriers

Creeker, SASS #43022

I managed to mess up the carrier in my 73 (a milled/ lightened brass carrier).

I did a little hunting for my options to replace this carrier and came up with the following:

Stock/ non milled carrier

Milled/ Lightened carrier

Aluminum carrier

Has anyone ever run times with each to see if one is truly superior to another?

And if so - how much did the times vary from one to another?

(I have already ordered a replacement lightened/ milled carrier. I saw no reason to re learn the "feel" on my rifle)

But I am curious - if any of the shooters that understand the science and testing of it, have ever crunched the numbers.

I think this is one of those things where crunching numbers really isn't going to tell you anything. There are so many variables no one carrier material is going to make any difference. A lot of people shoot and win with either.

Well ........ I haven't crunched any numbers nor stayed an a Holiday Inn Express, but .......... I do build a lot of competition rifles. I don't care for the aluminneum carriers. Too light and they are prone to galling and wear. Some, don't work well at all. My preference is for a well machined brass carrier. I have a really skilled machinist who mills the carriers for me and I just pile up stock carriers as I build guns and send them in in batches.

Most aluminum carriers are slab sided just as the stock carriers are. The actual weight is a consideration for momentum on the action and "feel" of the rifle cycling. The most important aspect of a milled carrier is to reduce drag as the carrier moves thru the mortice it rides in. A milled carrier only contacts the mortice at small "rails" left at the front and back of the carrier by the machining process. The resulting reduction in drag makes for an action that "feels" crisper.

I don't think the difference in cycle time could be measured in anything bot thousands of a second. And, not enough thousands to make an appreciable difference. A little weight helps make everything run smooth.

Coffinmaker

PS: Some customers have specified aluminum carriers. Most switch back to milled brass.

I used to run aluminum carriers when you could get one made that would feed the 105 grain bullet at high speed. Then the maker pretty much ruined them to try to adapt to the Super Short stroke kit. Went back to lightened brass. Splits did not change at all not even 1/100th of a second. Sub .2 splits stayed sub .2

I won't nor will I build a rifle for a customer with out lightening the carrier.

I haven't ran any numbers as I never do, but brass has a better feel and lasts. Alum wouldn't last a year for me. Was told by tha supplier that tha # of rds fired per year was excessive. I listened to this as I was looking a my wifes rifle that had been shot rd for rd with mine (plus another 6 years of shooting), hers was milled brass. My rifle has been in use for 3 years now with lightened brass and hasn't been touched since it was built. Ta tell ya tha truth there isn't any parts in that rifle that didn't come over on tha boat.

RRR

I had 3 aluminum carriers for my '73 in 357. Only one worked well- in fact, at WR C&I fixed the feed issue with the other 2 by slapping theirs in there, "Go shoot it. If it doesn't work you don't owe me anything."

So naturally when I was slickin' up my '73 45LC I ordered one from C&I. Popped it in and it worked great with minor tuning of the lifter.

Then I saw where Cinch was milling carriers so I sent him 2 - one from a new backup '73 and the old one out of my main match gun. WOW! I'm shocked that a brass carrier has such a great feel.

Where can someone order a lightened/milled brass carrier?

PM Cinch... he did mine in less than 5 days including shipping.

Original Winchester .32-20 carriers were milled on the sides. They go from top to bottom rather than leaving an edge on the top so the carrier still looks solid like most people do. Since I shoot BP most of the time I cut all my carriers like the original Winchester. That way if there is any fouling it is easier to clear out. I just shoot a drop of oil in the four corners if the carrier starts to get sticky.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee241/p...r1/P1000511.jpg

Archived