SASS Wire Forum

Lady Gunfighters

Painted Filly

I'd recommend trying two guns: The first, since you already own a pair of NMVs, try to find a pair that have had Montado (or Super Blackhawk) hammers installed. You might be very surprised at how much it changes your ability to reach the hammers. The SASS Vaquero should have the same feel since they have the Montado hammer. If this gun is too heavy, then give the Single Six .32s with Eagle gunfighter grips a whirl. Both guns come in stainless and for black powder, this is a big plus.

FWIW, while I wouldn't say I have small hands, I do not have large hands, so finding the right pistol involved a little (really a lot) of searching. For a while, I shot Single Sixes. For me, the grips were a bit small, but without question, I could reach the hammers easier on these pistols than any other pistol I have ever shot. I shot Bisleys for over four years and for most ladies, I would think they are a bit heavy. Once Montado/SBH hammers were approved, I went back to the first pair of pistols I bought which are original Vaqueros with 4 5/8 barrels. They make me feel like Goldilocks 'cause they're "just right" (for me.)

Only you can say which guns will give you that Goldilocks feeling. Just be sure that the guns you handle have had lighter springs put in them. For five years, my Rugers (all of them) were bone stock with the exception of lighter hammer springs, but when it comes to shooting gunfighter, those springs are worth their weight in gold.

Buck,

Thank you. I already do have the Super Blackhawk Hammers and they do have the lighter springs. So good to go there. They just do not feel like they will work, but my husband says that I should work with them for a bit and see. He thinks that right now it feels weird because it is different. He is probably right. I tried a pair of Thunderer's and 2 pairs of bisleys one with standard girps and one iwth the gunfighter grips. I liked the Thunderer's but they were 45's so a bit different there and then I liked the Bisley's with the gunfighter grips. One of the ladies that I shoot with shoots the NMV and she llikes them and has about the same size hand.

So I think that I am going to try the guns I have right now and probably put the gunfighter grips on them. I was going to do that anyway. Then I can see if they are going to work or if I need to get something else.

Filly

Archived