SASS Wire Forum

DILLON 550

shenny

I guess the above says most of it. But, I have a problem with old primers not falling in the collector tray. Probably 50% or more, hit the floor. I'm sure something is out of adjustment. Who has the cure? Yes, I know use a vacuum cleaner.

Shenny

check to make sure the little door is closed when the deprimer arm is up.

I had it happen to me also, just had to clean it a little and ajust the pin it got hung and held the door open.

Have you gotten rid of the cotter pin on the primer chute?? If not take it out, I took a paper clip and cut it down and put in and bent it a little so now the primer chute opens and closes better than it used to. I also put some duct tape around the back side of the primer box and up a little to the top, kind of hard to explain but once you start to do this you will see what I mean.

Go to www.brianenos.com and they have some tips there in there reloading section for tips on the 550 plus all there presses, Dillon says to put a safety pin in there, I found the paper clip works really well, so long as its stainless, it makes it easier to open and close, not sure if dillon has changed this or not on their new presses, but the paper clip has worked for me along with the duct tape, I might get maybe 1 or 2 that don't get in the primer box, hope this helps you out

All for now JD Trampas

The safety pin in the spent primer catcher chute is the best cure. Get a fairly long one and trim to about 1/2" oversize, then bend one end, install and bend the other end. The cotter pin that Dillon uses gets caught in the swivel hole. Also, a small magnet clamped on the chute side will add some weight to help it close. Once you get it corrected/adjusted it will work fine without any further effort.

WHY don't you call Dillon :FlagAm:

I will call Dillon & check Brian Enos. I have put the paper clip repair because I bent the cotter pin too badly. Where exactly to put the magnet. The little bit of weight sounds good.

Thanks for you help.

Shenny

P S yes, I still will have to vacuum.

Archived