SASS Wire Forum

What Shotgun should "Sherrif Buntline" use?

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Infodump: Occasionally, when I am in a mood to just have all out fun, I will show up for a match in my "Sherrif Buntline" persona. This persona is so named for the fact that my left pistol is a 12" Buntline Special, and my right is a Colt Sherrif's model. The rifle I use is 17.5" Winchester 92 with a "John Wayne" style large loop lever. I am going for a mixture of "style points" and a little bit of a "silly" factor in this persona. My normally used 20" Win 97 seems kinda passe compared to my other stuff.

Question... What kind of a shotgun should I use? Aside from the above mentioned 97 which I want to sub out, my current options are as follows...

1. 18" Parker SxS

2. 32" Fox SxS

3. 30" Win 97

4. Purchase an 87 replica.

Practicallity/competativeness is not a factor here. What is eye catching, cool, or otherwise unusual is what I am shooting for.

Opinions?

Infodump: Occasionally, when I am in a mood to just have all out fun, I will show up for a match in my "Sherrif Buntline" persona. This persona is so named for the fact that my left pistol is a 12" Buntline Special, and my right is a Colt Sherrif's model. The rifle I use is 17.5" Winchester 92 with a "John Wayne" style large loop lever. I am going for a mixture of "style points" and a little bit of a "silly" factor in this persona. My normally used 20" Win 97 seems kinda passe compared to my other stuff.

Question... What kind of a shotgun should I use? Aside from the above mentioned 97 which I want to sub out, my current options are as follows...

1. 18" Parker SxS

2. 32" Fox SxS

3. 30" Win 97

Practicallity/competativeness is not a factor here. What is eye catching, cool, or otherwise unusual is what I am shooting for.

Opinions?

Why limit yourself on option 3? Winchester made 97s longer than that. A couple years back, some of the local SASS shooters decided to try a skeet league. Shameless Womanizer showed up with a 97 that was at least 32", I think it was 34". They asked him not to bring it back. They also requested that Noah Gonnatellya(sp?) leave his 18.5" model at home.

1. 18" Parker SxS

2. 32" Fox SxS

3. 30" Win 97

Opinions?

My vote would be #4. I haven't shot one, but hear they are a blast and they look cool.

Since Buntline is associated with a long barrel I'd say go with #2, the Fox with 32" barrels.

If you would be willing to buy a new gun, H&R makes a Pardner Waterfowl version. It's a 10 gauge with a 30" barrel.

Scroll down, it's the last one.

Well ........ for something readily available, which you didn't put on the list, I'd go with Cimarron/TTN Color case hammer double 12 gage. Only because finding a shootable 8 bore double would be a little tough.

Coffinmaker

When I shoot some combination of these...

ONE

TWO

I usually use THIS SHOTGUN

But I did just pick up a 10g shotgun like Marlin Buckhorn suggested... :FlagAm:

Back in my younger days, one of my favorite places to shop for guns was Vic's Pawn Shop in Galveston, TX. Vis's had a double barrel 12ga 30" hammer gun in the window that was painted solid white with pink rose deacls on the wood. It was marked "For Weddings Only". With the advent of powder coating, I think that has some great possibilities for a SASS weapon. It may not be perfect for a sheriff, but some of you parsons might get some real laughs out of it.

Just to clarify, I already own options 1, 2 and 3.

If I purchase anything, it would be #4.

Some of the suggestions are more than a little fun, I admit, but I don't wanna have to tool up to reload 10 gauge! If I was gonna do that, I'd get a Win 1901. :FlagAm:

I am leaning towards the more long barrel on the shotgun for 2 reasons.

1. The rifle is short, so the long shotgun would be a contrast, just like the two pistols have a contrast.

2. I love my Parker, I really do. It kicks like a mule though! Plus, a short barrelled SxS is too "generic" for this set, just like the 20" 97 is.

NOW, all that said. We recently had a New Years shoot, where most everybody shot BP. I pulled out a pre-1900 Remington single shot, no hammer, cocking mechanism on left side of receiver, 28"bbl. Now I wasn't fastest, but great style points. By the end of the day I was shooting it almost as fast as my '97. It was really a hoot, and a shotgun that's been in the safe for 2+ yrs never fired before New Years day. And of course this was all with BP. If'n you was closer, you could borrow it all you want. I love the "past".

Capt Hill

The 30" 97 is cool to shoot. With featherlights they almost sound silenced but they take down knockdowns with real authority. It takes a little awareness to maneuver the long barrel through windows and doorways though.

The 30" 97 is cool to shoot. With featherlights they almost sound silenced but they take down knockdowns with real authority. It takes a little awareness to maneuver the long barrel through windows and doorways though.

The long barrel 97 is fun to shoot, I agree. And the couple of times I used it, I didn't have any manuever problems.

But... I just discovered this strange creature, and and seriously considering it. A very unusual single shot, and definately a pre-1900 design.

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/admin/pr...hp?itemID=40642

Archived