SASS Wire Forum

Stoeger coach gun

Zach Taylor,SASS#14359

The right barrel of my 12 ga doesn,t work , compaired to the left trigger , its soft. After I remove the barrel and stock ,is there a spring that I can replace or is it something more ? Also, do I need to punch out the side pins to get at what I need to fix,to remove the side plates. I looked at Marauder , but they don,t get into the innards. Or should I save myself headaches and just see a smith ? Any comments are appreciated.

After removing the buttstock, you will see the triggers and spring. The leg of the spring might have just popped off of the trigger arm at the back. If the spring broke, it will of course need to be replaced which would require tapping the pin out that holds both triggers.

Even if you aren't comfortable working on guns, I would at least pull the buttstock off and take a look prior to taking it to a gunsmith. You should be able to see what the problem is and then determine if you are confident in being able to fix it yourself. If it is as simple as the sping leg popping off of the trigger arm, you can fix it yourself easily. To remove the buttstock, take the buttplate off to access the large bolt that is deep down in the stock. You can use a long screwdriver, but a socket on an extension will be easier (it is a hex head bolt with a straight slot).

Zack,

If you would put your location in your Profile, we would have a better Idea of where to send you for repairs.

Stoegers are notorious for mushrooming the Firing Pins, as the originals are made of soft metal. As stated, Longhunter has stainless steel pins, and also has a handy tool for installing them. That would be the first thing to try. If that's not all the problem, then there are several very fine gunsmiths on repairing Stoegers.

Quite often there is a difference in trigger pull with guns that have two triggers, so that may or may not have any effect on your problem.

If after changing the Firing pins, you still have problems, add your location to your profile and we can send you to the nearest Stoeger gunsmith.

RBK

Had the same problem several years ago with my Stoeger Coach gun. The right side cocking lever spring assembly did not drive the right side hammer into a fully cocked position. I inserted a 3/32" thick 1/8" diameter round brass shim into the right side cocking lever hole in the receiver. This allowed the cocking mechanism to fully cock the right side hammer. Never had a problem since then.

Chicken Coop

One thing you might try for a stock interfering with the hammer is to cut apart a loaded shell removing the powder etc. Remove the stock "butt" and snap the barrel that does not want to fire. A strong primer hit could mean the hammer is being snubbed by the stock. Gary

Stogers are famous for the firing pin nut coming loose. This will cause a missfire on the side that is loose. Midway or Brownells carry the 3 pin tool to tighten it. You can check it by inserting a small drill bit into two of the holes and turn with a screwdriver.

Good luck

McKenzie

Competing, practicing and reloading take all of the time that I am willing to give.

I let the professionals work on my guns and know that they have not been done by a novice like me.

It costs way too much to compete to put up with poor smithing.

Is there a good dvd on how take these guns apart and put them back together?

Not that I know of, but this webpage has a lot of great info and links: http://marauder.homestead.com/files/stoeger.html

There's not much to take apart really. Remove the buttplate to access the buttstock screw. Removing the buttstock exposes most of the internals. It's really just knocking out pins to take it apart from there.

Archived