SASS Wire Forum

Pot Roast is on the menu..

Deja Vous

Wyo. Wimmin are kind pretty too :rolleyes:;)

Well, everyones purtyer at closin' time............

Even you, MS !!! :lol:

Wait a second... wine, gin, beer.. heck.. open the bar and put it on Badgers tab.. lol

Wait a second... wine, gin, beer.. heck.. open the bar and put it on Badgers tab.. lol

Oh he77 !!

I'm just one orney injun dat'll drink to just bout only ole thing !! :rolleyes:

Yeah, booze. It's not just for drinking anymore.

It is amazing what a touch of whiskey or half a beer can do for a dish. There is a certain richness and flavor base that you don't get any other way. I've found that a shot of good single malt (not a cup, not two shot, ONE) in a gallon of split pea soup really elevates it from "Hey, good soup" to "Day-um! This is great soup!" Gin will give a nice earthiness to beef or pork, not overwhelming, just another layer of flavor.

Yeah, booze. It's not just for drinking anymore.

It is amazing what a touch of whiskey or half a beer can do for a dish. There is a certain richness and flavor base that you don't get any other way. I've found that a shot of good single malt (not a cup, not two shot, ONE) in a gallon of split pea soup really elevates it from "Hey, good soup" to "Day-um! This is great soup!" Gin will give a nice earthiness to beef or pork, not overwhelming, just another layer of flavor.

Well SubDs you are a cook, huh? Very cool... Thanks ....

Today at work we got started on food.. and for the first time I heard about meatloaf muffins.. lol... Yeah, just little muffins made out of meat loaf ... kinda interesting,, if the meatloaf is good anyhow..lol

Today at work we got started on food.. and for the first time I heard about meatloaf muffins.. lol... Yeah, just little muffins made out of meat loaf ... kinda interesting,, if the meatloaf is good anyhow..lol

Yer means yer gonna eat the Little Muffies? :rolleyes: How could you Deja Darlin...dez so cute.... ;)

Meatloaf is just plain bad.....looks like it's been ate before !!! :rolleyes:

But Meatloaf muffins......now dats just plain wrong !!!! ;)

Yep. It makes serving real easy. And gives you instant portion control. Try serving one in a nest of mashed potatoes.

Here is my general method for meatloaf. I had originally posted it on the Graybeard Outdoors forums:

For a general method figure to 2 pounds of ground meat (if it is very lean, maybe grind up about a quarter pound of bacon or salt pork along with it), you want

2 eggs

1 cup of bread crumbs (can be cracker, corn flakes, couscous - if you use couscous you will want a bit extra liquid of some sort)

2 teaspoons of kosher salt (if you grind in some salt pork, cut that back by about half)

1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper

8 to 12 oz of tomato sauce or ketchup

1 medium onion chopped fine

and a few drops of pepper sauce.

Now, that will get you a decent basic meat loaf. Beef, lamb, venison, pork, poultry, or some combination, that is a general method that will get you a good product.

From there, you can start playing. I like celery and carrots in mine, chopped very fine, say 2 carrots and 2 ribs of celery for 2 pounds of meat - that is in addition to the onion. A touch of brown sugar ( 1 to 2 Tablespoons), offset with a little cider vinegar (about the same amount as the sugar). Maybe some BBQ sauce. Sage, oregano, marjoram, nutmeg (go light on that, a little goes a long way), cloves and cinnamon (ditto). For the herbs, figure 1/2 to 1 tsp. For the spices, 1/8 to 1/4 for starters, maybe even less, you don't want to overpower with them. Oh! Paprika is nice, smokey, sweet, bittersweet, hot (be careful with that one, it can be very hot). Maybe make a glaze of worchester, ketchup, brown sugar, and some horseradish.

Yer means yer gonna eat the Little Muffies? :rolleyes: How could you Deja Darlin...dez so cute.... ;)

lol.. Cousin slickees.. I carry a gun... I am a mean rough tuff muffin eater.. lol

Meatloaf is just plain bad.....looks like it's been ate before !!! :rolleyes:

But Meatloaf muffins......now dats just plain wrong !!!! ;)

Not my favorite.. but I do like meatloaf.. but it has to have garlic, onions, peppers, and a bit of spice from ole mexico to make me happy.. lol.. Nothing hot, just a bit of a zip.. Sometimes I top with taters.... The muffins not so sure I can get enough stuff in there.. lol

I'll take an Injun Taco anyday..where's the root? Short suppply I hear. :rolleyes:

Fry bread is good, with lots of stuff on it.. The navajo knew how to make a great taco.. lol..

Yep. It makes serving real easy. And gives you instant portion control. Try serving one in a nest of mashed potatoes.

Here is my general method for meatloaf. I had originally posted it on the Graybeard Outdoors forums:

For a general method figure to 2 pounds of ground meat (if it is very lean, maybe grind up about a quarter pound of bacon or salt pork along with it), you want

2 eggs

1 cup of bread crumbs (can be cracker, corn flakes, couscous - if you use couscous you will want a bit extra liquid of some sort)

2 teaspoons of kosher salt (if you grind in some salt pork, cut that back by about half)

1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper

8 to 12 oz of tomato sauce or ketchup

1 medium onion chopped fine

and a few drops of pepper sauce.

Now, that will get you a decent basic meat loaf. Beef, lamb, venison, pork, poultry, or some combination, that is a general method that will get you a good product.

From there, you can start playing. I like celery and carrots in mine, chopped very fine, say 2 carrots and 2 ribs of celery for 2 pounds of meat - that is in addition to the onion. A touch of brown sugar ( 1 to 2 Tablespoons), offset with a little cider vinegar (about the same amount as the sugar). Maybe some BBQ sauce. Sage, oregano, marjoram, nutmeg (go light on that, a little goes a long way), cloves and cinnamon (ditto). For the herbs, figure 1/2 to 1 tsp. For the spices, 1/8 to 1/4 for starters, maybe even less, you don't want to overpower with them. Oh! Paprika is nice, smokey, sweet, bittersweet, hot (be careful with that one, it can be very hot). Maybe make a glaze of worchester, ketchup, brown sugar, and some horseradish.

Not fair out cooked by a guy.. loll

Not my favorite.. but I do like meatloaf.. but it has to have garlic, onions, peppers, and a bit of spice from ole mexico to make me happy.. lol.. Nothing hot, just a bit of a zip.. Sometimes I top with taters.... The muffins not so sure I can get enough stuff in there.. lol

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh.......

I'm feelin' sick !! :rolleyes:

Ohhhhhhhhhhh......

Fry bread is good, with lots of stuff on it.. The navajo knew how to make a great taco.. lol..

Yup, dey shore do !!

I love'em !! :rolleyes:

Yup, dey shore do !!

I love'em !! :rolleyes:

Me too.. with meat and cheese and drag it thru the garden or ... sweet too.. lol

Me too.. with meat and cheese and drag it thru the garden or ... sweet too.. lol

Dang it girl, now ya got my mouth water'in !! :rolleyes:

Dang it girl, now ya got my mouth water'in !! :rolleyes:

lol.. it is good, huh>? I use to hang out with a Begay sister, her brother did a lot of jewelry in the Begay name.. and a couple were ropers.. darn good ones too.. They made the best fry bread.. I was so jealous.. lol

Not fair out cooked by a guy.. loll

If you want to stretch it, run potatoes through your meat grinder with the fine disk in. Maybe about 2 pounds of spuds to 2 pounds of meat, and add an extra egg. Run your onions through the grinder too. And the carrots and celery - heck why not? Makes for a nice loaf.

Run the raw potatoes and onions through the grinder, add some eggs and a bit of self rising flour, along with salt and pepper and fry up potato pancakes.

If you want to stretch it, run potatoes through your meat grinder with the fine disk in. Maybe about 2 pounds of spuds to 2 pounds of meat, and add an extra egg. Run your onions through the grinder too. And the carrots and celery - heck why not? Makes for a nice loaf.

Run the raw potatoes and onions through the grinder, add some eggs and a bit of self rising flour, along with salt and pepper and fry up potato pancakes.

Stop it.. women cook men grease cars or something.. lol

Deja, this won't help ya any now, but when you do get your own place consider putting in an herb garden! Fresh herbs are SO much better than the dehydrated stuff from the spice aisle... ;)

And here's one most people don't think of with herb gardens: a small laurel tree. FRESH bay leaves are WAY better than dried...! :rolleyes:

I like using herbs so fresh they're still squealing when ya drops 'em in the pot! :lol:

So, I am home and I came really type now.. lol. Poor you.. lol. I do a medicine wheel of herbs when I have the space and time. Cooking herbs are cool, so are healing ones.. Yeah, I know you can't heal the world. and all ailments.. but I do like to do a few. Healthy eating helps... as does exercise. I was told I am underweight by about 10 lbs.. lol.. So, I need to build lean muscle.. so herbs is where I will go along with eating right and exercise.. My thighs burn right now.. man did they work me at the gym.. lol. I can walk forever.. but I never once thought about the other stuff.. lol.. So,, ouch and more ouches.. I feel like a hot tub.. and wait I have one at the gym and at home.. hmmmm Do I dare venture out? lol..

lol.. it is good, huh>? I use to hang out with a Begay sister, her brother did a lot of jewelry in the Begay name.. and a couple were ropers.. darn good ones too.. They made the best fry bread.. I was so jealous.. lol

I know what I'm gonna fix me rat now !

Real Mexican Tacos !! :rolleyes:

I know what I'm gonna fix me rat now !

Real Mexican Tacos !! :rolleyes:

And I am going to join the hot tub party... lol. or maybe not lol. Can I take a taco with me?

Stop it.. women cook men grease cars or something.. lol

LOL, my wife and I used to cook at church a lot, Sunday lunch for about 80 to 100, and meals for feast days or music seminars. Biggest we ever did was about 225, maybe 250. Cooking like that is fun. And hearing the conversations stop as people dig in is great. So is having them come back for thirds.

Archived