SASS Wire Forum

How come nobody ever mentions him....

Poppy

I have many favorite actors as I posted in the top 10 movie thread, but why is Randolf Scott never mentioned. I have always dug his movies and they are some of my favorites in my collection

I am aquainted with a gal that did movies with him,she was a stunt gal in Cammanche Station,also worked with Elvis in Jailhouse Rock.She was the only one to sneak an autographed fake record from the set,Colonel Parker did not want them to get out so he confiscated all but one,Elvis gave it to her.Randolf Scott was dunking her in a horse troff in a scene of the movie,she told me he was having way too much fun.The leading lady was pretty and could not ride,she said evrytime you see that horse getty up,that's me.Nice lady too,has a place about 20 minutes east of me in the hills.

Poppy,

You will have to ask Utah Bob, Forty Rod, Boss Hoss or some of the old buzzards that maybe played with him in Grade school, the rest of us is too young . :angry::):D

Rev

Yes ,,,, Why indeed !!!!

I think he was a better actor than Roy ,,,,,,,, But he didn't have a Side-kick like Dale ...

Jabez Cowboy

Yes ,,,, Why indeed !!!!

I think he was a better actor than Roy ,,,,,,,, But he didn't have a Side-kick like Dale ...

Jabez Cowboy

Well there you go.. lo.. its the Dale thinger.. lol

I've always liked Randolph Scott but another that I like too was Joel McCrea.

He and Scott did one western together that debuted Marriet Hartley...RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY.

I don't know how many they did together, but I'd like to see more.

I like Randolph Scott and have several of his movies on DVD, buying them anytime I see one. Ride the High Country was a good one.

When I first started shooting, I shot with a cowboy whose alias was Randolph Dog who reminded me of Randolph Scott.

Wow, Randolph Scott. As a kid I can remember going to the neighborhood theater with my folks on Saturday nights and watching Randolph Scott westerns. That had to be in the late '40s. One, or maybe even two, were in "3D". Duck, here comes a chair, or a flaming arrow.

One great thing about this game we play is that it sure brings back a lot of wonderful memories.

I have many favorite actors as I posted in the top 10 movie thread, but why is Randolf Scott never mentioned. I have always dug his movies and they are some of my favorites in my collection

In my post I listed a few movies. Then said there was some older ones that would make my top 10

but could not think of the names of them.

A couple of those would be Randolf Scott movies.

And I still can not think of the names of those movies.

But when they come on. I am glued to it.

Always like him.

RS, my fathers favorite cowboy actor, he drug me to all his movies, well not drag, took me as i took him to see RR and GA and all the other cowboy shows back in the late 40s and into the 50s, my father always said RR and GA were to Hollywood where as RS was a real actor-cowboy..Ride the high country was indeed a very good western.

What a guy! An artillery man in WWI (WW ONE!), he looked the part and most of his movies were westerns. He was the star in "Ten Wanted Men" and the supporting cast included Richard Boone, Dennis Weaver and Lee Van Cleef!

One of the best for sure.

My favorite is "Seven Men From Now".

Olen

Oh, I can't let this pass...

Cue the Statler Brothers...

Everybody knows when you go to the show

you can't take the kids along.

You've gotta read the paper and know the code of G, PG, and R, and X,

and you gotta know what the movie's about

before you even go.

Tex Ritter's gone, and Disney's dead,

and the screen is filled with sex.

Whatever happened to Randolph Scott

ridin' the trail alone?

Whatever happened to Gene and Tex,

and Roy, and Rex, the Durango Kid?

Oh, Whatever happened to Randolph Scott,

his horse plain as could be?

has happened to the best of me.

Everybody’s tryin' to make a comment

about our doubts and fears.

True Grit's the only movie

I've really understood in years.

You gotta take your analyst along

to see if it's fit to see.

has happened to the industry.

Whatever happened to Johnny Mack Brown,

and Alan "Rocky" Lane?

Whatever happened to Lash LaRue?

I'd love to see them again.

Whatever happened to Smiley Burnett,

Tim Holt, and Gene Autry?

Whatever happened to all of these

has happened to the best of me.

has happened to the industry.

There is some profound truth in this song...

There sure is H.K. How about one that is seldom mentioned here.....Rex Allen? He did several western movies from the early fifties to the early sixties. He also had a TV show in 58 called Frontier Doctor. Always carried his guns butt forward. He also rode a beautiful strawberry roan with a flaxen mane & tail named Koko. Rex had a beautiful bass voice & recorded many western albums. Mr Allen also did voice overs for many of Disney's nature documentaries & cartoons.

In 1982 he told a reporter that he was not for gun control but after Martin Luther King's murder he didn't feel comfortable wearing guns at public appearances anymore. So he put them away.

He was born in Wilcox, Az. in 1920 & was a real cowboy. He died just before Christmas '99 in Tucson. He fell while walking behind his car in the garage of his home and his housekeeper, who was taking him to a doctors appointment, didn't know he was laying there backed over him. He died a day or two afterwards in the hospital.

Wilcox is located in SE Arizona on I-10 in Cochise County. If you're travelling through there & have the time stop & see the Rex Allen Museum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfPB-BAIjUI...feature=related

I met Randolph Scott at a movie theater in Charlotte N.C. when I was 9 or 10. He was there promoting one of his westerns since Charlotte was his hometown. He never made a lot of money as an actor but was a very shrewd real estate businessman worth an estimated $100 million (today's dollars) before his death. I also used to ride city buses with his mother who was very quick to tell the other riders that she was Randolph Scott's mother.

In the recent Top Ten Western thread here (one of a great many over the years!), more than a couple folks, myself included, listed Ride the High Country in their top ten. This had Scott and Joel McCrae, in their only movie together, and Scott's last movie (McCrea's second-to-last). Sam Peckinpah directed it.

The movie has been written about a lot over the years, both as a Western classic, and as a Peckinpah film. It has my favorite line in a Western, Steve Judd's (McCrae) answer to Gil Westrum's (Scott) question : "What do you want, Steve?" (Both are worn-out lawmen who never made a buck, and Westrum, unknown to Judd, wants to steal the gold.) Judd answers: "I want to enter my house justified".

This is of course from the story of the tax collector and the Pharisee in Luke. The line was Peckinpah's; his dad was a preacher and strongly influenced him.

Randolph Scott is a real Hollywood success story for reasons beyond his films. He was well-known as a careful investor during his acting years. When he retired after Ride the High Country (about 1960), he was a very wealthy man. He never looked back to Hollywood, and he and his wife did just what they wanted for 25 more years before his death.

Well, I'm not sure I can explain the feeling of a lot of other folks, but I can state my opinions.

He was a darn good actor in some pretty good movies - but he was not epic or class defining in the way that John Wayne (mostly via John Ford),

or Roy Rogers and others were defining. He didn't stand out a lot - and frankly - he is even well known to have preferred the fancy dress up style of

Hollywood and the night life more than the acting.

Let's be honest - there's John Wayne, Roy Rogers . .and a lot of other guys . . . . . pretty much from here on down the choice proliferate and

we can argue who is better/more popular till the well runs dry. I like Randolf Scott, and will stay up late to watch his movies - they're well acted and

solid stuff, not candy like the JW films are, but that's probably why they're not as common either.

Just my $0.02 worth . . . .

Shadow Catcher

Shadow Catcher has some good points, but I think there are still some things to be said about Scott, now that the Budd Boettcher movies have been released in DVD.

Another factor is that Scott was only in Westerns, and that he was finished in 1961, after Ride the High Country. He quit the business completely thereafter, even though he was healthy and had 25 more years to live.

Thus he was out of the business for good 50 years ago, when guys like me, and many others here, were 10 or 12 or so. He never had a movie in the theater after that, while John Wayne, just to use a single example, had a great many yet to go.

In the recent Top Ten Western thread here (one of a great many over the years!), more than a couple folks, myself included, listed Ride the High Country in their top ten. This had Scott and Joel McCrae, in their only movie together, and Scott's last movie (McCrea's second-to-last). Sam Peckinpah directed it.

Ride The High Country :FlagAm:

Even after hearing the name of the movie before it did not sink in.

But that is one of my top 10 that I could not think of the name.

I know it had Joel McCrae in it.

Thanks for giving me the hints I needed to get it figured out.

Now??? What was the name of them other ones. ;)

If you are alive and haven't made a movie in two or three years no one remembers you. If you are dead and haven't made a movie in 48 years your Q rating is going to be pretty low.

I really like Randolph Scott & Joel McRae movies much better than any of the singing cowboys and felt the same as a child. I wasn't much impressed with the extreme B-western style of dress those singing cowpokes had and while they could sing well, I preferred more story and action. The only reason GA is on the western channel so much is that the episodes must be cheap to run. YMMV

Here is the last 20 or so years of his work:

Movie and character name

Actor (105 titles)

1962 Ride the High Country

Gil Westrum

1960 Comanche Station

Jefferson Cody

1959 Ride Lonesome

Ben Brigade

1959 Westbound

Capt. John Hayes

1958 Buchanan Rides Alone

Tom Buchanan

1957 Decision at Sundown

Bart Allison

1957 Shoot-Out at Medicine Bend

Capt. Buck Devlin

1957 The Tall T

Pat Brennan

1956 7th Cavalry

Capt. Tom Benson

1956 Seven Men from Now

Ben Stride

1955 A Lawless Street

Marshal Calem Ware

1955 Tall Man Riding

Larry Madden

1955 Rage at Dawn

James Barlow

1955 Ten Wanted Men

John Stewart

1954 The Bounty Hunter

Jim Kipp/James Collins

1954 Riding Shotgun

Larry Delong

1953 Thunder Over the Plains

Captain David Porter

1953 The Stranger Wore a Gun

Jeff Travis

1953 The Man Behind the Gun

Major Ransome Callicut

1953 Three Lives (short)

Commentator

1952 Hangman's Knot

Major Matt Stewart

1952 Carson City

Silent Jeff Kincaid

1951 Man in the Saddle

Owen Merritt

1951 Screen Snapshots: Hollywood Goes Western (short)

Randolph Scott

1951 Fort Worth

Ned Britt

1951 Santa Fe

Britt Canfield

1951 Sugarfoot

Jackson 'Sugarfoot' Redan

1950 The Cariboo Trail

Jim Redfern

1950 Colt .45

Steve Farrell - a salesman of colt revolvers

1950 The Nevadan

Andrew Barclay

1949 Fighting Man of the Plains

Jim Dancer

1949 The Doolins of Oklahoma

Bill Doolin / Bill Daley

1949 Canadian Pacific

Tom Andrews

1949 The Walking Hills

Jim Carey

1948 Return of the Bad Men

Vance (Marshal Vance Cordell)

1948 Coroner Creek

Chris Danning

1948 Albuquerque

Cole Armin

1947 Christmas Eve

Jonathan 'Johnny'

1947 Gunfighters

Brazos Kane

1947 Trail Street

Marshal William Bartley 'Bat' Masterson

1946 Home, Sweet Homicide

Lt. Bill Smith

1946 Badman's Territory

Sheriff Mark Rowley

1946 Abilene Town

Dan Mitchell

1945 Captain Kidd

Adam Mercy/Adam Blayne

1945 China Sky

Dr. Gray Thompson

1944 Belle of the Yukon

Honest John Calhoun aka Gentleman Jack

http://www.randolphscott.20m.com/custom.html

RS stared in some other movies other then Westerns, I remember him in Pittsburgh with John Wayne

This is true, but after the mid-40s he purposely did only Westerns.

Within the last few months, to some fanfare among some cinephiles, there have been DVD releases of 6 of Scott's Westerns directed by Budd Boettcher. These include Seven Men From Now singly, and a boxed set of five, including The Tall T (based on an Elmore Leonard story) and Comanche Station. Here's the dope from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_3...+randolph+scott

I'm gonna get these and see 'em, but I haven't yet. Anybody else seen them yet? I haven't heard anyone say so here on the Wire.

I think these my be a bit of a treasure for the many Western fans here. I've never seen anyone list any of these in the many favorites lists we see, and my guess is because nobody's seen 'em-- at least since childhood. Might be wrong, of cuss....

My maternal grandparents were born in Virginia, they named my mother Virginia, and the saw every Randolph Scott movie he ever made. They took me along to the movies when I got old enough.

When I hear Randolph Scott speak, I hear my grandfather's voice... that refined southern drawl is very comforting. :rolleyes:

http://www.randolphscott.20m.com/custom.html

RS stared in some other movies other then Westerns, I remember him in Pittsburgh with John Wayne

Gung Ho, 194(-2, -3?) as Col. Evans Carlson of Carlson's Raiders (USMC), raid on Makin Island; morale-lifting battle in the early days of WWII, when the Japanese were kicking our butts around the Pacific.

Well here we go again. Randolf Scott, one of my favorites for sure.And as i've said before here on the wire,I liked him best in "Western Union", watch it and you to will love the guy.He also stared in " Desperadoes" which also had Glen Ford in his first movie. Randy also was in a movie with Shirley Temple when she was a kid.I'm also pretty sure he was not in WW 1, you may have been thinking of Tim McCoy Who was in WW1 and WW 11 for a spell.

Ah "Western Union" took me years to find that movie after only seeing a few seconds of the end - not only does he shoot 75 Remmies in it he carries them Backassward!

I'd do it for Randolph Scott. :ph34r:

Archived