SASS Wire Forum

WOLFF GUN SPRINGS... ?

Major Art Tillery

I currently have two New Model Vaqueroes in 45 Colt. I would like to light'n up the trigger and possibly the hammers. I have looked at the Wolff gun spring website and they offer "shooter packs" But I have no idea what a guy should try first. Just wondering if anyone else uses these springs, and what they have found that works. Any info would be great, thanks.

Wolfe springs are what most of us use. And the kit is a good start because it has some different springs for you to try with your gun. Then you can decide what strength you like best.

Although with New Vaqueros, most just go with the 15 pound hammer and the 30 oz trigger springs. (and the stronger patch pin spring).

I have two Uberti Colt clones. They felt as different as night and day. I replaced the hammer spring, the hand/pawl spring and the triggger spring on both with Wolff springs. It was an easy swap and they now felt like twins should feel. I can't tell the difference with my eyes closed. I did trim the hand/pawl spring so the cylinder spins a little easier, but that's it!

I recommend them.

ol' poke.

I have four Ruger Bisley Vaquero's all with Wolfe/Brownells Marshall's spring kits for Ruger single actions and they work like a champ.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=19836/P...L_S_TUNE_UP_KIT Is the exact kit that I have been using and I would suggest it for an easy one stop tune up fix for your Ruger. Smithy.

Get this:Ruger springs

The trigger spring doesn't matter as much, 30 oz. or 40 oz., the lighter hammer spring is where you will notice the difference. I've never bothered to install the heavier base pin latch spring because I've never had a problem with the stock one.

I did have a problem with some primers not going off with the 14 lb. spring. In my case it would not reliably set off Winchester primers. CCI, Remington, Federal no problem.

If I remember right all the new style vaquero's have 17 lb hammer springs already, the old models had 23 lb hammer springs, I went with the 17 lbs springs in the old models, so I guess you have a choice in 14, 15, 16 lbs hammer spring from what I have seen for the new model vaquero's, 14 may not set off all primers, guess you have to buy the whole kit with the different spring weights so you can experiment which one will set your type of primer off. I use winchester primers and have had no problems at all with my old model vaquero's with 17 lb's.

Have heard most people aren't switching their springs out on the new models since they are really easy to cock now compared to the older models, as you use them more they get broken in

All for now JD Trampas

I agree totally, I use the Wolff kits with the 17 lb main springs and lighter trigger springs. This is the one most recommended, as it will strike hard enough to ignite any brand primer. The lighter 15 lb springs are a bit "iffy" on some brands of primers. As long as Federal primers are used the lighter springs will work OK.

I also install the heavy cyl. latch springs, to prevent unintentional releasing of the pin. It can happen and you won't notice it, and the result is failure to function. They come with the spring kits, so it's best to use them.

RBK

Howdy

When I bought the Wolff kit for Mrs Johnson's New Vaqueros it came with 3 mainsprings. I put in the one with the middle value. Don't really remember what it was now, but they have always worked fine.

I helped a Pard switch his hammers to Super Blackhawk in New Vaquaros. We used the Wolff set from Brownells with 15# main springs and 40 oz trigger springs, the guns feel good and ran well in live fire. The trigger pull was about 2 7/8#. We put in the base pin latch springs just because they were there and he wanted to use them. I agree that the latch springs that come in the guns are just fine as long as the latch fits as it should.

Archived