SASS Wire Forum

And you thought toilet seats were expensive

Seldom Seen #16162

The ATF has awarded Glock a $40 million dollar contract to armed it's 2,500 officers. Gee, that figures out to $16,000 per gun.

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/news/a...nd-glock-27-40/

Darn now you did it.. lol.. Lets see gun or toilet seat? Gun or new clothes, hmm gun or new car... hmmm gun or a new sofa.. lol.. GUN wins every time in my world.. lol. I am not crazy about the other stuff, or about big house, fancy cars, or looking like I am the best dressed.. I like to sew my own stuff if I can.. and I want more guns.. lol.. I am not a stuff person thats all. I love looking at stuff, I love art museums, and museums as a whole, I love Disney, I love fun... but all in all a small place, nice shop and lots of guns suits me just find.. kinda hard to find others that agree with that... But this gun is too pricey for even a gun lover.. lol

10 year up to 40 mil.........

Not bad, huh? Guess I should have invest a bit better.. lol

The ATF has awarded Glock a $40 million dollar contract to armed it's 2,500 officers. Gee, that figures out to $16,000 per gun.

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/news/a...nd-glock-27-40/

They must be throwing in a couple of extra mags for each gun. And a condo in Paris for the contracting officer.

No if you read the replies to the bottom, @ $500 ea. That figures to 80,000 officers not 25,000.

The projected 40 million is based on other Governmental agencies accepting the bid submitted to the ATF, instead of going through the time consuming and expensive proposition of bidding the exact same thing out again. All of this over a 10 year period. During that time, even the ATF will need to purchase more than just the one weapon for the individuals now employed...they will hire new officers in the next 10 years, and some guns will be lost or destroyed (think Ka-Boom with the Glock 22).

The State of Alabama regularly sets by competitive bid a "State Bid Price" on various commodities, such as vehicles, ammunition and office equipment. The companies winning the bid sell vast amounts of those commodities to agencies other than the State. For example, every patrol car I've bought in the past 10 years has been bought on "State Contract", to avoid the lengthy and costly process of requesting bids.

Actually I just realized I forgot to figure in extra magazines at $500.00 a pop.

Seriously though does it bother anyone that $40 million is going overseas instead of to Smith & Wesson with their superior M&P model?

Actually I just realized I forgot to figure in extra magazines at $500.00 a pop.

Seriously though does it bother anyone that $40 million is going overseas instead of to Smith & Wesson with their superior M&P model?

It bothers me more that the military went through this song and dance thirty years ago, settled on the Beretta, stopped using the 1911, and now the ATF is doing it all over again. What is the ATF using now that isn't doing the job?

ATF Selected S&W M&P40

S&W has revealed that their winning entry into the recent BATFE competition was the M&P40 pistol. Not much surprise there, but it is nice to have it confirmed. From the press release ...

The award marks the completion of a full and open competition among several firearm manufacturers to provide a commercial off-the-shelf pistol that met or surpassed the ATF technical requirements. Under this contract, the M&P40 pistol is not only qualified for purchase by the ATF but has also been made available to multiple U.S. Federal Agencies who may now use this contract vehicle for their purchases. The potential value of the contract award is $40 million over 10 years.

The other winner was GLOCK who entered the G22 and G27. It is my understanding that the ATF agents will able to choose either the GLOCK or S&W for their sidearm.

Smith Awarded Contract

It bothers me that the money from the contract is going to Massachusetts. :rolleyes:

Has anyone seen a price per gun in any of the announcements of contract wins?

No. and not a specific number of guns either.

Back in '02 I was talking with a DEA guy and a Glock corporate guy. At the time DEA was using Glocks, maybe other guns too, but certainly Glocks. DEA wanted some hi-cap mags for their undercover agents and did not want the dreaded "For Law Enforcement Only" stamps on their undercover agents' mags. DEA asked Glock for the mags and Glock had to ask permission from ATF to import the unstamped hi-cap mags. At the time, IIRC, they were waiting for an OK from ATF.

Archived