SASS Wire Forum

Vintage Pre Civil War Coins SPF

northman

Back in the 70's I was attending Mountain Man rendezvous and the Civil War reenactments.

Because of the time span they represented these vintage coins were popular trading stock at the shows. Going through my life's acumination of things I ran across these old Large Cents that were in common use prior to the Civil War. They are the size of a quarter I put an Indian Head cent next to them for comparasion. These are not just coins but pieces of history. I am not a coin collector nor can I grade these according to condition but I find them interesting pieces of history. Here is the time span for the years these coins were minted 1831 is SPF, 1841 is SPF and 1846 is SPF

1831…Andy Jackson was president and Alexis de Tocqueville journeys across the USA. He later wrote Democracy in America from his travels.

1841… William Henry Harrison president dies in office succeeded by John Tyler. The city of Dallas, Texas is founded by John Neely Bryan SPF

1846… The Mexican war starts as James K. Polk was president and California was claiming to be a sovereign nation under a flag with a bear on it. SPF

In the meantime people were moving west, trappers in the Rockies, prospectors in the foothills, families moving into Indiana and Illinois as that was the West of the day. Coins like these were in their pockets and purses.

Asking $25.00 each for the coins plus $2.00 shipping

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c231/sgtgrs/largecents1.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c231/sgtgrs/largecents2.jpg

Very interesting . . . but I'm not in the market for one cent coins. They just won't buy anthing useful . . . . like shots of whisky.

In the era that I portray ( and the sort of rough boom town atmosphere ) the smallest denomination going is a "bit". I have cut up some silver dollars so that I can carry . . small bits, big bits, and 2 bit peices in my pockets along with silver dollars. :lol:

I'll take 'em iffen you mean $25 for ALL three? Let me know where to send the modern coin. Paisano

It sure reads to me . . .

. . . . Asking $25.00 each for the coins plus $2.00 shipping

I DID see that. Just offering to take them ALL for $25. Not worth $25 each. I can buy a Morgan Silver Dollar for $25 and it has about that in silver content.

I DID see that. Just offering to take them ALL for $25. Not worth $25 each. I can buy a Morgan Silver Dollar for $25 and it has about that in silver content.

Who's to say they're not worth $25? Coin collectors are not interested in silver content but date, condition, and rarity.

Fillmore Coffins

Numismatist

That's why Wolfy is worth two bits,he's a rare breed :ph34r:

No account flea bearin two bit card shark~~~ :ph34r:

WRONG!!

As Fillmore said just cuz they ain't silver or gold don't mean they aint worth money. Some time look up the value of an 1877 Indian Head penny. (you would have to sell a bunch of Morgans to buy that one...)

I did a quick glance and in one price guide from last summer, those coins in "good" condition all list for the $25 he is asking. Those coins are considerably better than "good" and are listing for $30-35 each. (maybe more as I can't tell the conditon at a glance...an extra fine 1841 lists for $79.....so, I believe this is a good deal.)

So, I think the man is asking a very fair price for his coins, and if I collected the larger cents, (I have one not nearly as good) I would be on them in a heartbeat. ....now if you have an 1877 Indian Head to sell for $25.....hemmmmmm

So, back to the top for a good pard.

curley

Who's to say they're not worth $25? Coin collectors are not interested in silver content but date, condition, and rarity.

Fillmore Coffins

Numismatist

I have seen comparable coins at coin shows and gun shows for less. I, personally, would not pay that for these coins. That is why I made a counter offer. Didn't mean to start a firestorm.

WRONG!!

As Fillmore said just cuz they ain't silver or gold don't mean they aint worth money. Some time look up the value of an 1877 Indian Head penny. (you would have to sell a bunch of Morgans to buy that one...)

I did a quick glance and in one price guide from last summer, those coins in "good" condition all list for the $25 he is asking. Those coins are considerably better than "good" and are listing for $30-35 each. (maybe more as I can't tell the conditon at a glance...an extra fine 1841 lists for $79.....so, I believe this is a good deal.)

So, I think the man is asking a very fair price for his coins, and if I collected the larger cents, (I have one not nearly as good) I would be on them in a heartbeat. ....now if you have an 1877 Indian Head to sell for $25.....hemmmmmm

So, back to the top for a good pard.

curley

Thanks for watchin' my back Curley, and no offense to paisano but, there's a big difference between, "it's not worth $25" and "it's not worth $25 TO ME".

Heck, last week I bought a Carson City half dollar for over a $100 even tho it only has $9.50 in silver right now because it was worth it TO ME.

Respectfully,

Fillmore

FROM EBAY 1/15/11 :)

***** 1852 US LARGE CENT NCS ABOUT UNC. details *****

Item condition: Circulated

Time left: 18h 23m 30s (Jan 16, 201113:07:21 PST)

Bid history:

3 bids

Current bid: US $8.84

Your max bid:

US $

1855 LARGE COPPER CENT BRAIDED HAIR US Penny Coin

Time left: 23h 3m 11s (Jan 16, 201117:50:26 PST)

Bid history:

4 bids

Current bid: US $2.29

Your max bid:

US $

Place bid

(Enter US $2.54 or more)

Add to Watch list

OLD US COINS 1846 RARE PRE CIVIL WAR LARGE CENT PENNY

Time left: 23h 59m 31s (Jan 16, 201118:47:31 PST)

Bid history:

3 bids

Current bid: US $12.50

Your max bid:

US $

Place bid

(Enter US $13.00 or more)

Add to Watch list

Pards,

I want to thank you all for making this one of my more interesting listings and coming to my defense. I always try to be fair and price things accordingly. I was told by another Pard that these were around $25-$35 each and I priced them on the lower end. I hold no grudges for someone to express their opinions but sometimes it may be better to do that in PM. I have several more pre Civil War coins that I'll list here, but I think I'll let the smoke here clear first. :)

Thanks!

1. eBuy is not a good place to judge the real value of coins....and

2. 40% of the coins on eBuy usualy are counterfiet.

so buyer beware.

Sorry you disagree, but the value guide of American coins is where I got my numbers, and the lowest grade of each coin I could find was priced at least $25. and the coins listed on here are far better condition.

and like Feelmore says it is how much it is worth to YOU.....

for example, would you pay $1500 for an 1895O Morgan Dollar in AU condition.

now lets quit arguing and let this poor man sell his coins.

I for one say to the folks here that it is a good deal.....

and back to the top for our pard....(sorry)

curley

Pards,

I want to thank you all for making this one of my more interesting listings and coming to my defense. I always try to be fair and price things accordingly. I was told by another Pard that these were around $25-$35 each and I priced them on the lower end. I hold no grudges for someone to express their opinions but sometimes it may be better to do that in PM. I have several more pre Civil War coins that I'll list here, but I think I'll let the smoke here clear first. :)

Thanks!

Sorry yer ad got took over, pard. I for one think your prices are spot on...if the large cent was in my collection I would possibly go for it. I do Morgan dollars, and indian head cents. but I keep up to date on lots of them. I do have an 1855 (slanted 5s) that are worth far more than the $2,50 our friend lists from ebuy.

my book lists it in worst shape possible for $43...

post yer coins, and let us see what ye have....

good luck

curley

I have no opinion on the value of the coins mentioned here, just the choice of words.

Fillmore

I"m buying the 1841 coin and I'm dang proud to get it for the $25. I have received a coin from North before and it was better than decribed and further more I would rather pay a little more just to help out another pard.

Have a great day

Slick

I have seen comparable coins at coin shows and gun shows for less. I, personally, would not pay that for these coins. That is why I made a counter offer. Didn't mean to start a firestorm.

So . . . . don't buy em' Simple.

Dad burn no account high priced claim jumper~But northman did hang on to an item for me until i got my piggy bank brought back up,and i got really cool fast draw game for a good price before that,it even laughs at me when i miss :lol: i reckon what goes around comes around..Thanks Northy~ :)

P.S.hey Northman i'm gonna use my Hahn bb 45 on that booger next,that'll shut that varmit up~ :P

Archived