SASS Wire Forum

Museum donation

Tom Foolery U.S.M. #2348

I donated a document to a well known film museum here in California over a year ago. I do know they received it. Am I wrong to expect a "THANK YOU" letter for my donation? I have called and was told they'll get to it. 15 months to wright a letter??

What do ya think?

TF

Oh, boy, I do apologize for my wording. I am NOT looking for a THANK YOU, but at least a letter from them acepting the document for my records.

TF

Gotcha. Especially if is of such value as to be tax deductible.

You could ask nicely for them to issue a receipt, or for the donation to be returned. That would probably result in the letter of receipt being issued "toot suite".

Personally, I do not hand over donations of any significant value until I have the receipt in hand. Call me suspicious. But call me prepared to file tax returns, too.

Good luck, GJ

Back in the late 70's I was living in San Diego area,when the San Diego Are Space museum burned as did most of Balboa park. San Diego rebuilt most of the park and were looking for donations.I donated some items to the museum,they came out to look at the items,to make sure they were something they could use. They wrote me a receipt for the items and followed that up with a letter and invite about a month latter. The invitation was to a dinner and speech by Col. James Doolittle,to me that was more than worth any of the items I donated and a dinner I won't forget. Adios Sgt. Jake

I donated works and articles of my family to the local farm museaum and got reciets and dates and a thank you of a bueatiful framed picture of my grandfather..

In my role as museum curator, I always issued a thank you letter along with the registrar's deed of gift receipt. Just good manners.

Archived