SASS Wire Forum

Media Myopia

The media spends the bulk of its time covering Gabrielle Giffords recovery and now the president's visit yesterday has become its own news event. As I recall, 6 people died and 14 wounded. Unless you do an internet search, you'd never know who they were as they are seldom mentioned.

Reminds me of the Challenger explosion where the media focused almost entirely on Christa McCauliffe, but said little of the 6 others.

The media spends the bulk of its time covering Gabrielle Giffords recovery and now the president's visit yesterday has become its own news event. As I recall, 6 people died and 14 wounded. Unless you do an internet search, you'd never know who they were as they are seldom mentioned.

Reminds me of the Challenger explosion where the media focused almost entirely on Christa McCauliffe, but said little of the 6 others.

Media always goes with the 'high profile' stories - sad to say.

GG ~ :blink:

I've seen a fair amount of coverage on Christina Green and Dorwan Stoddard who shielded his wife with his body.

I imagine at some point one of the major networks will do a program that will go into more detail about the victims. Overall the coverage is about what one would expect. Some good, some hideously incompetent.

Then there are jerks like this.

Then there are jerks like this.

Chances are excellent they were approached by some sleazy tabloid media types and offered money. Seems I read a story about a hospital staffer being fired for that a year or two ago. As I recall the patient was a celebrity or some other public figure.

Happens at airpoirts too when celebrities go through.You'll hear more about that soon Like Hey is that Clooney in that TSA scanner?

Happens at airports too when celebrities go through.You'll hear more about that at some point, like heyy is that Clooney in that TSA scanner?

Archived