SASS Wire Forum

Anyone up on AB 962 ?

Smithy

I know that loaded ammo is a nono, but I had a question about the following items that it may or may not affect.

Bullets?

Cases?

Primers?

Powder?

I am really interested in the cases because I in real honesty can get the rest of the stuff locally (and have done so to date). Anyone with for sure information about the above questions please respond as I and I'm sure others are very interested in the results. Thanks! Smithy.

The items listed are included in the section of items not to be in the possession of persons prohibited under the law.

AB962

What you want to know is answered here.

......SEC. 5. Section 12316 of the Penal Code (:FlagAm:

"person prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm" can not be in possession of ammunition components.

Who would have thought I could actually see the logic of part of a wackadoodle California gun law but it just sorta makes sense if you are a felon or other person prohibited from having a gun ya probably should not have ammo or things that go boom in general. We could quibble about bullets or brass.

I know vendors will probably be scared to sell anything for fear of landing in the pokey, but after reading the full text of the law (phew) the "component" section if you could call it that; specifically states bullets are a no go and cartridges which in my understanding is a fully loaded round (not a brass case which is probably what they were after) and then it goes on to include loading devices such as magazines, clips, ammo strips and the like. So it looks like brass cases are technically OK but bullets are not if that makes any sense at all and no mention whatsoever about powder. Go figure! Smithy.

So does anybody else expect a run on reloading machines? I'm thinking if the bad guys can't purchase enough loaded ammo to do their deeds, maybe they will start making their own.

I'm also thinkin there might be a run on components if we can only purchase 50 rounds a month.

Smithy,

There are two different sections I keep seeing listed in threads like this. One restricts ownership of ammunition, components, magazines, clips, etc to felons, underage kids, and other "undesirables". The other section restricts the non face to face selling of handgun ammunition (loaded ammunition only) to anybody. Unfortunately, the whole thing reads like stereo instructions and the definitions for each section can easily be misread as applying to both if you do not keep a careful eye on the section and paragraph references.

I don't know why they can't write laws in plain English...

Most likely the bad guys will get their stuff from

1. stealing it - expect breakins into stores and homes

2. going across the state lines and bringing it back - besides makes a tidy profit by selling it to other gangs.

So does anybody else expect a run on reloading machines? I'm thinking if the bad guys can't purchase enough loaded ammo to do their deeds, maybe they will start making their own.

I'm also thinkin there might be a run on components if we can only purchase 50 rounds a month.

Ohh, great. I guess I should start lookin' for gang-related nicknames on the reloading forum I frequent? :unsure:

Years back when a company started making a "pen gun" in 22 LR the Feds were OK with it because they said it doesn't look like a pen when it's ready to fire. The California DOJ said that it was still illegal because it was called and named a PEN GUN and by letter of the law, pen guns were illegal. The smart company quickly changed the guns name to the "Striker Pistol" so for a fleeting moment of time it was legal in California and yes, I bought three of the little suckers. The CA legislature had to rewrite the existing law to include the words STRIKER PISTOL as well as PEN GUN to wipe them out altogether. Based on this experience, since I see the Word Bullet as a nono item; California will read that verbatim and say that a bullet is illegal.

Your wrong about the bullets thing

Bullets are components just like the case, primer and powder.

Cheers,

LG

So your assumption that bullets are just components I'm afraid will be in error in the eyes of the CA DOJ.

Years back when a company started making a "pen gun" in 22 LR the Feds were OK with it because they said it doesn't look like a pen when it's ready to fire. The California DOJ said that it was still illegal because it was called and named a PEN GUN and by letter of the law, pen guns were illegal. The smart company quickly changed the guns name to the "Striker Pistol" so for a fleeting moment of time it was legal in California and yes, I bought three of the little suckers. The CA legislature had to rewrite the existing law to include the words STRIKER PISTOL as well as PEN GUN to wipe them out altogether. Based on this experience, since I see the Word Bullet as a nono item; California will read that verbatim and say that a bullet is illegal.

So your assumption that bullets are just components I'm afraid will be in error in the eyes of the CA DOJ.

Smithy, this has been rehashed several times. The section of the law regardinjg possession by gang members and other prohibited persons says "for the purposes of this subsection" then goes on to spell out the components also banned for possession by those specific folks. The rest of the law, pertaining to sales of ammo does NOT use that extended definition, but rather, uses the common dictionary definition of ammo as an assembly ready to use, and does not speak to lead or to cases any more than the post office does in their prohibition of mailing of ammunition. (You can mail bullets or brass as they are simply inert materials....)

Please don't scare folks with this. I know it sounds confusing but really is not when the law is read as actually written, in it's entirety.

I think I said...way back in post #2.....

Components were not part of AB962. Order whatever you need.

If you want to be precise, I could have said, "Except for the section that defines items that a prohibited person cannot possess".....

My original statement stands.

Smithy,

I don't know why they can't write laws in plain English...

If they wrote the laws in plain English then there would be no need for Lawyers. Like they say about politicians and lawyers, "99% of them make a bad name for the rest!"

Archived