SASS Wire Forum

Outlaw Trail?When?

Tuco Taveras SASS#79313

Howdy Pards .Just tried the new website...Found out the outlaw trail is scheduled for sept 28. oct2nd....Can any one tell me why???What a disapointment!!!!!Thats smack dab in the middle of hunting season out here in the west,.....the best seasons for deer elk and antelope...what was wrong with where it was??????Was it too hot in august???????can it be that most "elders" don't hunt any way???????Who came up with that idea....Nice way to broaden your attendance!!!Now you lost the youth that everone is so concerned about .and the hunters that only have one time of year to be able to draw hunting licenses one week a year.....Good thinkin'... P.s.(must have conficted with some "Barnaby Jones" film fest in Texas.......Tuco sorry I won't be there,The children will be in school and the hunters will be in the field.........So Sad. Please explain..

Can't speak for the Wild Bunch, and won't try. However, August in that part of New Mexico is HOT. It also can be the monsoon season. Haven't you read the cover story in the January Cowboy Chronicle? Captain Baylor writes about the torrential rains that fell just before the match. The story also explains Outlaw Trail is the Wild Bunch Championship, and there aren't a lot of juniors who compete.

Lots of competition on the calendar as well as on the range. As for hunting, most seasons across the country are late October and November. Can't please everyone. You might try writing a letter to the SASS office. We've been told many times that many of the SASS officials don't view the Wire.

Steeldust Dan

I won't miss the August schedule. August is the peak of the seasonal rainy season and the roads on FR get in terrible shape. Non-4x4 vehicles can get stuck in the mud and footing in the shooting bays gets bad. One has to quit shooting by 1400 or risk shooting in torrential downpours. The new schedule will be after the seasonal rains just as Fall sets in. The match will be on the first weekend of the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta - Albuquerque's premier tourist event. Non-shooting family members can see mass ascensions and shooters can remain after the match and participate in the Fiesta. A caution on motel rooms: Albuquerque is 100% booked during the Fiesta with rooms double or triple-priced. Book rooms in Moriarty for better prices.

If I draw out for a premier hunting license I'll skip the Outlaw Trail. However, most years I'll attend.

Can't speak for the Wild Bunch, and won't try. However, August in that part of New Mexico is HOT. It also can be the monsoon season. Haven't you read the cover story in the January Cowboy Chronicle? Captain Baylor writes about the torrential rains that fell just before the match. The story also explains Outlaw Trail is the Wild Bunch Championship, and there aren't a lot of juniors who compete.

Lots of competition on the calendar as well as on the range. As for hunting, most seasons across the country are late October and November. Can't please everyone. You might try writing a letter to the SASS office. We've been told many times that many of the SASS officials don't view the Wire.

Steeldust Dan

Well nice try though..........April buff stampede was 28degrees.........Is that too cold????Too hot? too rainy???.....Last year was the first time they ever held a wild bunch championship at outlaw trail..I have been to the last 3 .....juniors were there last year shooting cowboy..as for hunting. antelope is always the first weekend of oct. also deer and elk limited license drawings...late oct and nov. it's over the counter ..anyone can go anytime ..that's why the end of sept. begining of oct.is hard to draw to because it's the best time to go.....Seems odd not to have big shoots in the summer at the HEADQUARTERS oF SASS?????Please tell me if they stop having shoots in Texas in august?????I bet the important people want to shoot somewhere else in the summer..too hot ,too rainy, too cold.....Yeah right..So Who's going shootin' in Texas in august????????.....Tuco.

No major matches in the summer at Founder's Ranch? Excuse me, but what is End of Trail if not a major match? A quick look at the January Chronicle shows no major matches in Texas in August. Our monthly August club match is one of our smallest attended, due to hot weather and families taking a vacation out of town. But, we also lose a few in November (deer and quail season) and in December (pheasant season). There's ALWAYS going to be a conflict with someone or some group. It is up to each one of us what is more important to do/attend.

Steeldust Dan

No major matches in the summer at Founder's Ranch? Excuse me, but what is End of Trail if not a major match? A quick look at the January Chronicle shows no major matches in Texas in August. Our monthly August club match is one of our smallest attended, due to hot weather and families taking a vacation out of town. But, we also lose a few in November (deer and quail season) and in December (pheasant season). There's ALWAYS going to be a conflict with someone or some group. It is up to each one of us what is more important to do/attend.

Steeldust Dan

Gee Dan, Ya got me there, all right excuse me they have ONE major match all summer at the headquarters of Sass..Tuco. I still haven't heard why they moved it?????

I won't miss the August schedule. August is the peak of the seasonal rainy season and the roads on FR get in terrible shape. Non-4x4 vehicles can get stuck in the mud and footing in the shooting bays gets bad. One has to quit shooting by 1400 or risk shooting in torrential downpours. The new schedule will be after the seasonal rains just as Fall sets in. The match will be on the first weekend of the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta - Albuquerque's premier tourist event. Non-shooting family members can see mass ascensions and shooters can remain after the match and participate in the Fiesta. A caution on motel rooms: Albuquerque is 100% booked during the Fiesta with rooms double or triple-priced. Book rooms in Moriarty for better prices.

If I draw out for a premier hunting license I'll skip the Outlaw Trail. However, most years I'll attend.

Excuse me but isn't the balloon festival the worst and busiest time to get thru ABQ and find a place to stay or eat??????there's is 1000's of baloons there....Just how many non-shooting family members are going to drive thru that type of conjestiion????makes about as much sense as planning a shoot in Indianapolis during the INDY 500..........Just plain bad planning!!! .....I recall it rained last year maybe 2 hr.s at outlaw last year and I was there from wed. to sunday....I've been to baloon fest ..It's as busy as new york city...............bet they get lots of complaints.

Guest Coyote Calhoun, SASS #201

It was not that August was too hot, but August was just too close to EOT. We could not do the match justice and it only 30 days away from EOT. Our staff was exhausted and I was exhausted. The moves gives us time to recuperate and then get ready. This year we are planning on a Friends of NRA Banquet on the Saturday Night of the Match. The Wild Bunch World Championship has moved back to EOT and Outlaw Trail will be the Founders Ranch Championship. I have been told we would not have much problem with the Balloon Fest which starts on the Saturday of the match. The weather should be better and the shooting will be fun.

Details will be on the web within the next 30 days or so.

CC,

Thanks for a well reasoned response to the query (could not possibly have been Barnaby Jones festival- maybe JW, but not Barnaby :angry: )!

Appreciate the info and rationale, and understand volunteer workforce burnout (I've run several major events in a different sport). As stated, there are always conficts with any date. I've been in ABQ late that same pre-Balloon fest week and weekend and it wasn't a problem for lodging (about 4-5 years ago).

Good luck with the change - I look forward to it as my first , never know work sked that far in advance.

Harvey

Archived