SASS Wire Forum

OT: Whose Mare's Laig?

That Masked Man

Howdy Pards,

I've been looking for a good "Mare's Laig" since my Pa mentioned wanting one last fall. I see Chiappa makes one that LSI sells as a "Puma Bounty Hunter" for around $1250, it appears to be the same one that JB Custom now sells at $1295 ($1695 for the take-down model)...?

I also noticed last month that the "Rossi Ranch Hand" is coming out in early 2011 and pre-orders are being taken. MSRP is $535 IIRC and several places are listing pre-order prices cheaper than that.

Can anyone offer some advice/opinion on the relative merits of these? I notice the Chiappa model is much more handsome, but will it really work THAT much better to be worth twice the price? Is the Puma 92 that much better than the Rossi or would I be just as well to get the Rossi and let Nate Kiowa Jones or someone work their magic on it?

I also saw last night that Henry is coming out with a Mare's Leg version of their Big Boy -- that one doesn't even look right, and as I recall the Henry has a poor reputation? I'm thinking I should limit my options to the Rossi and the Puma.

Finally, unless I'm mistaken the Mare's Leg is not "SASS Legal" either as a pistol or a rifle (at 6 rounds capacity it wouldn't make much of a rifle anyhow). Anyone have any experience with local clubs allowing these things at monthly shoots? I know they won't be competitive, but sometimes there's more to having fun than nailing the best possible time...

Thanks for any insights you can offer!

EDIT/UPDATE: The Rossi Ranch Hand is already out, just seems to be 'out of stock' at all the on-line suppliers (at least, the ones I saw).

Well ........... since the Mairs Leg isn't a CAS anything, if you must have the style, get the cheapest one you can get and have it tuned. You'll still be in it for less than the high end guns. You might want to check with your local clubs to see if they will let you shoot it. None of the clubs here in PA I shoot with would allow one.

Coffinmaker

I, personally, am waiting for the Rossi Ranch Hand. My first reason is that as a "fun" gun I am not terribly concerned with getting the best possible competition-grade weapon. As long as there is no major flaw in the Ranch Hand I might as well get the cheapest one out there.

The second reason is a bit more complicated. JB Customs' guns were manufactured by Rossi and sold under the JB Customs brand. When Taurus acquired Rossi, they wanted to mass-produce the gun and did not consider that they were already bound by an agreement with JB Customs. This led to a lawsuit, of course, and I believe that were it not for this lawsuit the Ranch Hand would have been in stores three months ago.

So it appears the JB Customs gun and the Rossi Ranch Hand are an identical gun. Why would I buy a JB Customs gun when I can get the same thing for half the price? JB said as much in his lawsuit.

That said, I have not seen a detailed comparison of the two guns and I am making this observation on inference rather than empirical evidence. We will probably not see a detailed comparison of the two until the Ranch Hand is actually released.

-Solo Sam

would I be just as well to get the Rossi and let Nate Kiowa Jones or someone work their magic on it?

I own its ugly longer brother and love it to pieces. That and Nate is top rate with the 92's. You can't go wrong with that combo. Smithy.

Think about this. All the folks that made the original 92's are long dead and gone. The folks with the most experience building 92's now are the Rossi folks. They have been doing it for 30 something years. They aren't finished as nice as the others but they don't cost twice as much either and Rossi knows more about making a 92 work with straight wall cartridge than the others. Many folks assume a finely finish gun always works better. To manufacture a gun upward of 40% of the cost can be attributed to the final finish. Just because it looks good doesn't mean it works good. The Rossi's don't cost as much but over all they work better.

Guest Joe West, SASS#1532 L Regulator

The Rossi is better pard. I can make yours work like mine anytime you want. Give it a try next time we shoot.

Italian workmanship is beautiful, but after repairing and restoring many different things over the years I suspect function isn't always their main consideration.

Joe

The Ranch Hand is out already. I got to handle one in December at a gun shop in Mississippi called Garry's Gun and Pawn.

Me personally, I would get the Rossi. I dont think the Puma has the saddle ring and is in the 1200.00 range. If I remember right the Rossi has the saddle ring and is in the 500.00 range.

I also saw last night that Henry is coming out with a Mare's Leg version of their Big Boy -- that one doesn't even look right, and as I recall the Henry has a poor reputation?

I agree, I just went and looked at the Henry version, and it doesn't look right. They basically just chopped down a Big Boy with brass receiver and octagonal barrel and chambered it in .45 Colt. The front sight looks huge. The .22 version looks better.

Henry's don't really have a bad rep, though.

Thanks everyone for your input so far. It sounds like the Rossi will be worth the wait, and I could sure use the $$ for one of the dozen other toys on the wish list!

I'll watch this space for other comments, but with this many trustworthy pards in "agreeance" I'll go with what's been said so far.

Thanks again,

TMM

PS> Joe, I plan to see you at this month's shoot on the 22nd, barring another snow-storm!

I recently received a new Rossi Ranch Hand for a friend who let me 'play' with it a bit..I was impressed..for the dough(Under $500), you can't buy any other gun as useless as a firearm , OR More fun to shoot and play with than the Ranch Hand! It's a hoot! Action was very smooth out of the box.This one I had was a .357, but also available in 45 colt and 44 mag....44 mag is the ticket, i think...Bob Mernickle makes a double shoulder strap rig with the holster in back like a pack (as well as very cool hip rigs like Josh Randall) which would be cool for walking around in bear country...course you would have to shove the barrel down the bear's throat to hit it! They are impossible to actually aim of course.Sights are useless.And be careful not to shoot your feet or knees off..or worse! :FlagAm:

But man oh man is it fun! It's less than 1/2 the price of the nearest competitor and i think it will be a hot item...they are as of now, unavailable in any quantities.Very nicely done for the dough.Actually worth the price, IMO.

I recently received a new Rossi Ranch Hand for a friend who let me 'play' with it a bit..I was impressed..for the dough(Under $500), you can't buy any other gun as useless as a firearm , OR More fun to shoot and play with than the Ranch Hand! It's a hoot! Action was very smooth out of the box.This one I had was a .357, but also available in 45 colt and 44 mag....44 mag is the ticket, i think...Bob Mernickle makes a double shoulder strap rig with the holster in back like a pack (as well as very cool hip rigs like Josh Randall) which would be cool for walking around in bear country...course you would have to shove the barrel down the bear's throat to hit it! They are impossible to actually aim of course.Sights are useless.And be careful not to shoot your feet or knees off..or worse! :FlagAm:

But man oh man is it fun! It's less than 1/2 the price of the nearest competitor and i think it will be a hot item...they are as of now, unavailable in any quantities.Very nicely done for the dough.Actually worth the price, IMO.

And these do have the saddle ring right? I dont think the Pumas do and that makes the holster you need different from Josh Randals where it hung on the saddle ring.

I think the one I handled in the gun shop did but dont remember for sure.

And these do have the saddle ring right? I dont think the Pumas do and that makes the holster you need different from Josh Randals where it hung on the saddle ring.

I think the one I handled in the gun shop did but dont remember for sure.

Yes, the Rossi does have the saddle ring. If you google for "Rossi ranch hand images" you'll see left & right side photos...

You might also search for "Mares Leg holster", I ran across one that hangs it from the ring and has a sprung clip the forearm can "snap into" for that spinning draw/reholster move McQueen's Josh Randall used...very cool stuff.

The Ranch Hand has been out for months. There were several at the October Amarillo gun show. There were at least two sold out of the local gun shop in this little town of Pampa pop 17000.

Bad Bob, the Big Boy DOES have a bad reputation. Jammamatic deluxe.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I don't which version is best but I just want to say I got Season 1 and 2 of Wanted; Dead or Alive DVD set today. :lol:

p.s. I am planning on buying the Rossi model.

Hey, I picked up the first two seasons a week or so ago, at Cracker Barrel. Nabbed a nice John Wayne compilation set there too!

Definitely holding out for the Rossi, that seems to be the hot ticket.

Just to muddy the waters a little, AWA also makes a "Mares Leg" based on their Lighting rifle clone. I have handled one of these, and they work very well, and and also a lot of fun to shoot. (Don't have one though) I have never handled the 92 based ones by anyone, but they sure to do look like a fun pistol to shoot.

As far as usability goes, I have seen both the Lighting and 92 versions show up at a handful of matches around New England, and nobody has ever objected to them being used. If I recall, there was something in the works to debate how, or if, they should be offically made "SASS Legal" but I don't know what ever came of that discussion.

Persoanlly, I think that these things *should* be legal. If for no other reason than that they just might open the door to someone finally marketing a reproduction of the Volcanic pistol that fires a modern cartridge. (Preferably .38 S&W)

snip.

Persoanlly, I think that these things *should* be legal. If for no other reason than that they just might open the door to someone finally marketing a reproduction of the Volcanic pistol that fires a modern cartridge. (Preferably .38 S&W)

You know that got me thinking I recall handling a "navy" Volcanic in I think .44 by Smith&Wesson??? was a good few years ago and I know it was a rimfire but do you think if some one did build replicas of them as you say in an available cartridge that SASS would ever let it in as a main match gun? it is technically a single action and it would be if memory serves, just about impossible to shoot with one hand.... but talk about style points :lol:

Cheers

Windy

Over a year ago I bought one of the JB Custom Mares Legs [44-40] and holster [from El Paso Saddlery], and have been well satisfied with the quality and function - VERY EASY to 'spin cock'.

Two weeks ago, after the local gunshow, I persuaded a dealer from Hattiesburg to bring his Rossi Ranch Hand by the house and let a friend of mine try it out.

It too is a nice weapon - but to my way of thinking, I would still pay the extra amount for the JB. The main reason being I could not 'spin cock' the Rossi - try as I might.

Also, at the time I bought my JB Custom, he was using actions from ArmiSports. I do not know if Mr Buchanan is tuning them up before assembly or not, but it was considerably smoother than the Rossi.

Though in all fairness, my friend ended up buying the Rossi.

I shall try to enclose a couple of photos of My JB Custom, and the holster that I made for it, after the original was made into a chew toy by the mountain lion.

Also, I use 444 Marlin rounds in the cartridge loops - I discovered that using 45-70's stretch out the loops just enough, that over a period of time, they get so loose that the 44-40 round would not stay in the loop.

J B Custom Mares Leg

JB Custom Mares Leg

If you are ever down this way, stop by and my neighbor and I will let you shoot ours, and you can decide for yourself.

Tull

I assume y'all know that there's a WHOLE 'nuther crowd who's looking at these things, and are almost universally looking at adding red dot sights as well.

One word: Browncoats. If that reference passes you by, think "Firefly" and "Serenity" :).

These suckers are actually in dire need of a red dot sight, come to think...might be a good way to aim the suckers.

Nate: Rossi has a variant of the full-size '92 that has a built-in scout scope. Appears to mount in place of the rear buckhorn sight. Obviously not a SASS-compatible part but then neither is the Ranch Hand. Can you get those scout scope rails off of Rossi as a part you can add to other people's '92s (or Ranch Hands)?

http://www.rossiusa.com/images/imagesMain/R92-56002.jpg

If you can't get Rossi's part, do you know of anything else equivalent that will fit the Rossis?

(Sidenote: why can't we do the and commands around here?)

• 4 weeks later...

Tucson Jim... it's Zoe's gun alright!

http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/zoe-washburne.jpg

I went with the Rossi, got to handle a JB Custom at a gun show a few months ago and it's action was slicker. I'm talking with one of my local CAS bunch (they have a few 6 shot rifle stages 'cause they allow rifle caliber lever guns) and so far it looks like I should be shooting the ranchand in a stage or two (i shoot for style points anyway).

• 4 months later...

I used a .44 Ranch Hand (with blanks) to slay zombies in last season's closing episode of Shooting Gallery...I LOVE that thing! Ran a bunch of live rounds through it, including 240-gr Blach Hills magnums and a bunch of .44 Specials...shot flawlessly and after a while you figure out how to aim the beastie.

Good enough for Zoe, Tallahassee & Josh, good enough for me...

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

In my neck of the woods they have never been available.

It seems like they are not in general availability in this neck of the woods still.

Wonder if they are cooling production because of legal problems.

Drifter, just where is your neck of the woods? Sometimes you have to ask a dealer to special order some guns for you. They don't stock certain ones because they don't think there's a much of a market for them in your area and they don't want to tie up their cash in a gun that may sit on the shelf for 6 months to a year or even longer. I looked at a Henry 22 Mare's Leg last week here locally. Dealer said he'd already sold 3 of them.

The Henry is on my list to buy but not just now. A 22 is fun & cheap to shoot & I see no point in buying a larger caliber that I can't shoot in a main match. If the popularity grows we may, at some time in the future, we may see Mare's Leg side matches. I could be wrong but I don't see it becoming main match legal. There are many CAS shooters that have never seen an episode of "Wanted Dead of Alive" (CBS 1958-61) starring Steve MeQueen as Josh Randall, bounty hunter & don't understand what all the fuss is about.

What "legal problems" are you talking about? I haven't heard of any at all.

Col. Riddles -

The 'legal' problems he may be refering too, may be the same one I ran into when purchasing my JB Custom, and having it sent to an FFL dealer in my area.

This particular dealer [Great Southern Firearms in Pearl, MS.] would not accept the fact that this firearm was NOT a cut down rifle, and had been manufactured as a pistol - even though Mr. Buchanon included all his correspondence and approval from the BATF. As a result, they would not release it to me.

It took 13 days and a VERY informed [but 'put-out'] BATF agent to set the record straight. And I loved his final comment upon getting the matter resolved - "If you are going to be in the business of selling firearms, you need to be aware of the laws governing the sale of firearms. Give the gentleman his PISTOL."

Tull

I assume y'all know that there's a WHOLE 'nuther crowd who's looking at these things, and are almost universally looking at adding red dot sights as well.

One word: Browncoats. If that reference passes you by, think "Firefly" and "Serenity" :).

These suckers are actually in dire need of a red dot sight, come to think...might be a good way to aim the suckers.

Nate: Rossi has a variant of the full-size '92 that has a built-in scout scope. Appears to mount in place of the rear buckhorn sight. Obviously not a SASS-compatible part but then neither is the Ranch Hand. Can you get those scout scope rails off of Rossi as a part you can add to other people's '92s (or Ranch Hands)?http://www.rossiusa.com/images/imagesMain/R92-56002.jpg

If you can't get Rossi's part, do you know of anything else equivalent that will fit the Rossis?

(Sidenote: why can't we do the and commands around here?)

I have those scout scope rails but they mount the scope too high for a good cheek weld.

This is how Rossi fix that problem, Butt-ugly but it works I guess.

SCOUT SCOPE ROSSI 92

I like this setup better.

BURRIS FASTFIRE ROSSI 92

Here's is one of the Rossi Ranch Hands I re-configured to more replica the original. This gun is supposed be in Guns of the Old West soon.

ROSSI MARESLEG

Joe West, did you buy one of my DVD's. :wub:

Col. Riddles -

The 'legal' problems he may be refering too, may be the same one I ran into when purchasing my JB Custom, and having it sent to an FFL dealer in my area.

This particular dealer [Great Southern Firearms in Pearl, MS.] would not accept the fact that this firearm was NOT a cut down rifle, and had been manufactured as a pistol - even though Mr. Buchanon included all his correspondence and approval from the BATF. As a result, they would not release it to me.

It took 13 days and a VERY informed [but 'put-out'] BATF agent to set the record straight. And I loved his final comment upon getting the matter resolved - "If you are going to be in the business of selling firearms, you need to be aware of the laws governing the sale of firearms. Give the gentleman his PISTOL."

Tull

Prof., that isn't a legal problem. That's an ignorance problem. I've run into quite a few dealers who are ignorant of the law and would argue with a fence post that they're right.

A little off topic:

Several years ago I was leaving the gunshow at the LA County Fair grounds (that gives you an idea of how long ago it was.) A guy called me out and wanted to see the gun rig closer, (my EPS Duke Rig) He was impressed by it and thought it was one of the most authentic rigs he had seen. Well, then we got to talking about his rig....He had one of the ORIGINAL prototypes for the JB custom Mares Laig. He had the holster and also wore the exact clothes and hat that McQueen wore....We talked for a good half hour or more, and I got to handle the rig altho it wasn't a functioning "firearm" as yet. Very enjoyable time, and I sure as hell wished I had paid more attention to him.

Just thought I would pass that piece of trivia along..

curley

Archived