SASS Wire Forum

Observations at The Last Stand Florida

Cypress Sun

The Last Stand in Orlando Florida held last weekend was absolutely the best match I have ever atttended...........let me tell you why I think this:

- All events held (side matches, main event, Saturday dinner, awards and shootoff) all started on time.

- Although it was not a long walk from the parking lot to the match area, a "hay ride" was provided for the shooters, spectators and gun carts.

- All of the targets were not only large (some close, some a little further away) but they were also painted a lighter color blue for easier sight picture and pickup. The targets were

also repainted after each posse had completed the stage.

- All of the stages had target options and shooter movement options. Some stages had the option of starting with your pistols or your shotgun first.

- There were two shooters handbooks. One had the match stories and the other had the stage directions. Although the stories are not usually long, I liked being able to read the

stories seperately from the the stage instructions.

- All of the stages were challenging, but not overly so. They were all easy to navigate and understand.

- The stages were all very well written to accomodate all shooters whether fast or slow. They were also written to minimize the wait time between posse's. Our posse had no more

than a five minute wait time, most had no wait time.

- The Saturday night dinner (BBQ) was held at the range and was delicious. It was served buffet style with two lines and PLENTY of food for all. There was lots of napkins, wetnaps,

different types of BBQ sauce and even toothpicks provided.

- Vendors were plentiful and arranged in such a way that one didn't have to walk a long way from one vendor to another. There was also two food vendors with a wide array of

food and drink for the participants. For the record, water and drinking cups were provided at every stage.

- The awards were very nice and awarded for every SASS approved category. Clean shooters were also recognized with a small metal plack to put on your gun cart and a

certificate from the SBSS signed by Col. Dan himself.

- The shootoff was very well designed and exciting to the shooter and spectator alike. There was little, if any, delay in between shooters as there were many folks resetting the

48 knockdown targets.

I'm sure that there is other things that made this match a GREAT MATCH that I have neglected to mention. These are just some of the things that make a match great to me. Thank you to all who made this match what it is.

Now that I've said all of this, what makes a great match to you?

Cypress Sun

Good write-up Sun. I think you got it all there and I don't know what else you could do to make one better. The weather certainly enhanced the event for sure. Although not in the control of the committee, the selection and location of many good hotels is also a feature of this match. Being just 15 EASY minutes from the range is a bonus as well. And numerous fine restaurants nearby as well. Within .5 mile or less of the hotels were a Longhorn, Bonefish grill, Cracker Barrel, Friday's, Tony Roma's, Sonny's BBQ and more.

:blush:

It was the best match I've attended.

One thing Cypress Sun did not mention was the fact that The Last Stand uses berm marshals that run the timer,without berm marshals matches are gonna lack consistancy among posses,after all it is a shooting match.

Regards AO

AMEN!!

I know it is the trend to do away with Berm Marshals to save match expenses, but without at least one person on the stage to make sure things don't get moved (i.e. tables) or folks to mis-interpret the stage descriptions, the match will not be the same for every competitor.

We (the TLS Committee) feel strongly about this and don't plan on changing it - ever.

Dang It Dan

AMEN!!

I know it is the trend to do away with Berm Marshals to save match expenses, but without at least one person on the stage to make sure things don't get moved (i.e. tables) or folks to mis-interpret the stage descriptions, the match will not be the same for every competitor.

We (the TLS Committee) feel strongly about this and don't plan on changing it - ever.

Dang It Dan

Dang it, Dan, was I suppose to get paid? Did I miss something? Or was that the fabulous dinner you personally provided again this year. If so I think I was over compensated. The prime rib was outstanding!!!!!

:blush:

It was the best match I've attended.

One thing Cypress Sun did not mention was the fact that The Last Stand uses berm marshals that run the timer,without berm marshals matches are gonna lack consistancy among posses,after all it is a shooting match.

Regards AO

Yep, I knew there was something I forgot. A BIG +1 on that.

I've had a great time at every LS I attended. If I ever get back east it's on the top of my To Do list.

Dang it, Dan, was I suppose to get paid? Did I miss something? Or was that the fabulous dinner you personally provided again this year. If so I think I was over compensated. The prime rib was outstanding!!!!!

:FlagAm:

No, no pay, but usually the RO's get free lunch and sometimes free hotel rooms for working the match, not to mention no match fee. All these things do hit the bottom line of any match just like in business the easiest way to cut overhead is to let folks go. In our case, we are blessed with really good RO's so we try to treat them right.

The reason Stan, Delta Glenn and I walk around with almost nothing to do all day (that is during the actual match) is because we do have folks like you who handle most of the tough duty.

Thanks to all the RO staff from the bottom of my heart. Great job!!!

Dang It Dan

Guest Yahoo Delirious

Prior to this match, the last, Last Stand I attended was in 1998. I do remember having a great time then and did so this year as well. What stood out to me was how the RO's worked the stages. They all announced the sponser, then read the story then explained the stage. All the RO's were chearful, smiling and read the stories like they were really into it. This made me feel like there was good planning among the RO's as they were all on the same page. They did there jobs with enthusiasm and really wanted everyone to have a good, safe time. Great job RO's! I hope you all come back next year!

To the Pirate RO's - loved the swords!

Yahoo Delirious

:blink:

Zack,

Remember the pain.....

Remember!

Come back to Posse One....Remember the pain!

Wigley

:blink:

Zack,

Remember the pain.....

Remember!

Come back to Posse One....Remember the pain!

Wigley

Calm down Wigley. I sent an email to Delta and this is what I'm doing next year.

Friday - Shoot with the Stealth Posse, then RO the second shift.

Saturday - RO the first shift and then shoot the last five stages with you guys.

I'll sleep good that's for sure!

Archived