SASS Wire Forum

Apaloosa... the movie

Rance - SASS # 54090

Watched my DVD of Apaloosa yesterday... :blush:

Opening scene where the rancher shoots the Marshall and 2 deputys off there horses...

I caught a glimpse of what I thought was a SASS cowboy shooter :rolleyes: in the rancher...

He shoots them off their horses with his rifle....kinda looks like a '73... 3 shots...

as it pans back to him he's turning around...

shows a little of the butt of his rifle.... LEVER OPEN!!!

It ain't there for long... mistake in filming?? SASS Shooter? muscle memory?

They go off camera with him.. and when they go back to him walking into the ranch house.. lever closed..

I backed up the DVD and watched it a few times... yep.. lever open when he's done shootin'...

Kinda like a SASS shooter is taught... after last round goes downrange...

Rance :rolleyes:

Thinkin' that's what I saw ;)

One of the many things I liked about that movie was they would immediately reload their firearms after the shooting stopped.

It's always bothered me in movies that they would reholster their guns without reloading even though there were still bad guys around.

SCG

One of the many things I liked about that movie was they would immediately reload their firearms after the shooting stopped.

It's always bothered me in movies that they would reholster their guns without reloading even though there were still bad guys around.

SCG

Yep, I'm with you on that one.

I heard this movie was good and a Pard sent it to me to watch .other than good clothing and era weapons being ralistic that movie Stunk OUt Loud

I heard this movie was good and a Pard sent it to me to watch .other than good clothing and era weapons being ralistic that movie Stunk OUt Loud

Could you be a little more specific? I believe I asked you the last time you posted about it.

SCG

In the next couple of books after they leave and go to another town. They do the same thing.

After each shoot out. They stop and reload right then.

I always liked that part also.

I'll help you guys out that wonder why some of us thought it stunk. Try Rene Z's character. I know she was playing a role and she did a fantastic job of it. I dislike the character so much it puts an edge on my teeth just thinking of her. I guess that's my problem. She was a poster child for the "Cowboy Way" not!!!

Generally it wasn't bad but once was all I want to see it.

Rolling Stone

A very good movie indeed. There have always been a few women around like the Rene Z character. I would imagine that there alot more back in those times if you think how tough it was for a woman on the frontier.

For me, it did not detract from the movie at all.

A very good movie indeed. There have always been a few women around like the Rene Z character. I would imagine that there alot more back in those times if you think how tough it was for a woman on the frontier.

EXACTLY!!!

For me, it was refreshing (and quite surprising) to find a female character who wasn't the "prostitute with a heart of gold" or the "helpless widow" or "innocent schoolmarm." My hat is off to the writer and director as well as Miss Z for a wonderful and unique character. Too bad someone dislikes the movie because one character is unlikable. What about the villian?

The movie progressed slowly, and at first I thought "man this movie is dragging." However, I believe it truly reflected the time in which the movie was set. Time DID pass slower, relatively speaking. People were not in a rush all of the time. Folks lived a slower-paced lifestyle, and it was refreshing to become a part of that as a viewer.

Steeldust Dan

I watched it today as well.Had just finished watching Geronimo,an American Legend for the 4th or 5th time;and noticed Apaloosa was on.It was probably one of the slowest moving westerns I've ever watched.I rank it right along Beguiled for being slow.I doubt I'll watch it again.

enjoyed Appaloosa. :blush: several different movie technics for the more realistic feel of the old West , like Miss Z. and the reloading of guns and final shootout with guns drawn for showdown.

+1 on loving the movie. i thought it did a great job of depicting a harsh reality, Ms. Z did a fantastic job with a crappy character IMHO. I really liked Vigo and the job he did, even when he was getting dressed did you notice the knot in the Banbana?

I've watched it at least 3 times and will again I'm sure.

I liked the movie but I just couldn't get past Ms. Z's face. I'm sorry I'm not usually like this but she looked like she just got hit with a frying pan.

Yup.

EXCELLENT MOVIE . . . :FlagAm:

The second best western to me . . . only surpassed by my ALL TIME FAVORITE . . . which is "McCabe & Mrs. Miller". :blink:

I'll have to pay close attention to that opening scene and the '73 when I watch it again.

It was one of the better ones recently made. I liked it.

But what do I know... :FlagAm:

Didn't notice what you did Rance. I'll watch it again.

Never did like her especially in that move Cold Mountain. She just detracts from any plot...

I liked the movie but I just couldn't get past Ms. Z's face. I'm sorry I'm not usually like this but she looked like she just got hit with a frying pan.

Allie isn't meant to be a sympathetic character. She just drifts along and survives by latching on to whoever's the strongest male of the moment. Virgil and Hitch had it all figured out. Virgil was just too infatuated with her, and it clouds his judgement on the issue. We've all seen a friend do it, or maybe we were dumb enough to do it ourselves. Robert Parker had that facet of human behavior figured out.

Might not be the best looking actress out there, but she's at least resisted the temptation to botox up her lips like Meg Ryan. That poor child looks like a toilet plunger with eyeballs.

. . . as for Ms. Z's and her character in the movie . . .

I thought she was great, . .

. and the character she portraid was a very appropriate portrail of how a lot of frontier women were . . . .

. . . and how some that I've known are today as well . . . .

taking what they can get from whoever is the easiest "touch" for getting it . . . .

. . .I have had a little too much experience with women like that . . . :blink::lol:

I liked "Appaloosa" -- the movie is actually better than the book (Parker apparently didn't know western firearms and has his characters opening and closing the cylinders of their revolvers all the time).

As for Renee Zellweger detracting from any movie she's in -- well, see "Chicago" and get back to me.

I just bought the movie yesterday at Best Buy for $5.00, saw it in the m ovie theater too. I liked it alot 'cept fer Rene Z, not a big fan of hers and wasn't crazy about the character either. Great guns, clothes, scenery and realistic gun fights. On my top ten list.

1. Tombstone

2. Unforgiven

3. Open Range

4. Riders of the Purple Sage

5. Stagecoach

6. Appaloosa

7. Outlaw Josey Wales

8. Pale Rider

9. Crossfire Trail

10. Quigley Down Under

I like it.

My pet peeves in westerns involve: cocking a levergun when action is about to start when they already did it; cocking a pistol and lowering the hammer leaving a round under it; not cleaning their guns; and too many rounds from any given gun without reloading.

Westerns have gotten better with correct guns and gear, but they need to figure out these kinds of flaws that detract from a realistic portrayal.

A few show gun cleaning, but I never see water for cleaning the bp. A few show reloading, but then they get carried away with cocking their weapon of the moment. I seem to count shots since joining SASS and some of the gunfights just seem absurd with the amount of rounds they shoot.

That said, I typically enjoy westerns whether they are 2 or more stars.

EXCELLENT MOVIE . . . :blink:

The second best western to me . . . only surpassed by my ALL TIME FAVORITE . . . which is SILVERADO. :lol:

I'll have to pay close attention to that opening scene and the '73 when I watch it again.

Edited for factual content......................Just kidding :lol:

BSD

I like it.

My pet peeves in westerns involve: cocking a levergun when action is about to start when they already did it; cocking a pistol and lowering the hammer leaving a round under it; not cleaning their guns; and too many rounds from any given gun without reloading.

Helpful movie making hint - too much reality is boring.

As for cocking a levergun - If you rack a round into the chamber and DO NOT intend to immediately fire it, you let the hammer down.

How much would we howl watching cowboys walking around with the hammers back all the time?

Now - placing a hammer down on their revolvers.

(I am assuming your complaint is placing the hammer down on a loaded cartridge)

Most "Westerns" are about Lawmen, Outlaws, or Gunfighters.

Not claiming any great insight, but if I was amongst their crowd and moving into a tough situation - I would have six rounds in my pistol or pistols as well. And if I have six rounds in the pistol, cock the hammer and don't fire - I am going to simply lower the hammer on the next chamber, because there aint an empty one.

Cleaning their guns?

I don't clean my own guns, because it bores me and you want me to pay $11.50 to watch someone else clean theirs?

And, lastly reloading - it should be shown ONCE to demonstrate that these guns are not Matrix issued , but unless you are building suspense by the advent or timing of the reload - then there is no reason to make it a plot point.

(I know they had to have bowel movements as well - But, I don't need to see or hear about everyone of them. They are an implied action)

Who died and made you a movie critic?

I like it.

Westerns have gotten better with correct guns and gear, but they need to figure out these kinds of flaws that detract from a realistic portrayal.

A few show gun cleaning, but I never see water for cleaning the bp. A few show reloading, but then they get carried away with cocking their weapon of the moment. I seem to count shots since joining SASS and some of the gunfights just seem absurd with the amount of rounds they shoot.

That said, I typically enjoy westerns whether they are 2 or more stars.

I agree with Creeker on this(as usual) but laugh out loud you need to get a gun cleaning video not a westen flick.

:unsure: Every movie over uses working a pump action shotgun or working a lever action rifle,as Creeker stated if'n I was going into a gunfight or thought I was I would be loading 6 as well

My wife hated Renea Z's character any mention of a western brings up subject,how she would of left her & on & on LOL,but I liked the movie.

I liked the movie.

REgards AO

Archived