SASS Wire Forum

Good .22 magnum rifle?

I'm looking for a good .22 magnum rifle as a companion for a Ruger Single Six. The Winchester 9422 is probably out of the question, not only because they are no longer in production, but when you do find them, they're a little spendy...at least for what I want it for.

So...here's my question...do I go for a Henry .22 mag. or a Ruger M7722 mag., or is there something else that I'm over-looking? I don't want to go with a semi-auto. I hesitate a little on the Henry simply because I'm not real keen on their "alloy" receiver. It's not really "blued," but kinda looks like it's been spray painted black.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

It all depends on what you like, but the best one I ever had was a Marlin bolt action. CZ, Savage, all make them, and they are all good. Savage has a very nice trigger called the accutrigger that I really like.

The Henry is the other that comes to mind, if you want an affordable lever gun. I saw one that somebody had stripped the black finish off the reciever so that it looked silver. I thought it looked good.

I'm looking for a good .22 magnum rifle as a companion for a Ruger Single Six. The Winchester 9422 is probably out of the question, not only because they are no longer in production, but when you do find them, they're a little spendy...at least for what I want it for.

So...here's my question...do I go for a Henry .22 mag. or a Ruger M7722 mag., or is there something else that I'm over-looking? I don't want to go with a semi-auto. I hesitate a little on the Henry simply because I'm not real keen on their "alloy" receiver. It's not really "blued," but kinda looks like it's been spray painted black.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Get the Henry , I have one and it is the best rifle I own .

I have a Model 59 Rossi Pump 22 mag that I like a lot...shoots real good!!

I have the model 62 22LR too.

The little Rossi (now Taurus I guess) is a fun rifle to shoot and purty darn accurate!

Take a look at one.

BH

I have not tried a lot of 22 mag rifles but I like my Ruger stainless just fine.

The most fun was walkin around North Dakota shootin p-dawgs offhand.

I had a handfull of loaded magazines in one pocket and small water bottle in the other-fun.

Golden eagles were particulary interested and probably had a nice lunch

when we left.

Those ruger rings sure lock onto a scope real well.

Best

CR

The choice of new leverguns...if thats what you want is limited to the Henry. Marlins are rare and expensive. Winchesters are expensive and Ruger didn't make many of their 10-22 type levers.

Bolt guns are too numerous to list but I have an old Mossberg Chuckster that will near tackhole at 100 yds. Cost me $125 bucks.

My vote goes for the M77/22 (got to match the family with your pistol). I've owned (I've lost count) about 3 or more 77/22's thus far. Seems like when I get one fixed up I let it get out from under me and later on I get another one and start the process all over again. You see the stocks are hollow except for the front sling cross pin which I eliminate, anchoring it independently on each side instead. That gives me a clear shot from the barrel anchor to the forend tip where I cut a 1/2" diameter hole flush with the barrel. On the barrel anchor I weld an extension and drill and tap to mate a laser sight and run the leads to the left forend panel for the switch. I then go overkill on a scope for the gun and I end up with quite a neat little unit. With a little time at the range you can quickly learn to use the laser/scope as a range finder if say both are sighted in at 100 yards. It is real useful in low light situations as well. The biggest advantage however, is in the gun's inherent accuracy. It's absolutely amazing to say the least. Smithy.

Savage or CZ bolt action for great accuracy at moderate price.

Ruger bolt action for a gun that looks and feels like a centerfire, and has pretty good accuracy.

For a .22 mag rifle, as you specified, I would not try to find an accurate lever action at a reasonable price.

The Henry receiver sure is alloy. After several years of hard use, you will probably Duracoat it again.

Good luck, GJ

I have a 77-22 in 22LR and one in 22-hornet.

If price is not an issue I would go with the Ruger.

The 22-hornet is a serious ground hog gun & shoots better than I can.

I won a Henry 22 at a Whitetails Unimited banquet, and it is a good rifle, but, there is something about putting a scope on a western lever that just dont sit right with me.

dutch

:blush::rolleyes::rolleyes:;):ph34r:

My choices--

#1 Ruger 77/22 (VERY NICE!!)

#2 Savage M-93R (less $pent)

MG

If you want the best try the Anschutz 1516. My 1416 in .22 long rifle will stay on a dime at 100 meters with ammo it likes.

HTH

+1

I have a Savage Anschutz Model 54 in .22 lr and a Savage Anschutz Model 164M in .22 magnum. The 164M is very accurate despite using the cheaper (relatively) action and trigger. The Anschutz rifles that were imported by Savage and marked Savage Anschutz are pure Anshutz in build and quality and can often be found for less money than the later rifles. They also made .22 mag rifles on the more expensive Model 54 action.

I also have a 9422M Winchester .22mag and it's a nice rifle. I've had it for years and haven't checked used prices lately so I'm not sure how pricey they are now.

I have a nice Leupold scope on the Anschutz and just shoot the Winchester with the iron sights-I like them both.

Savage sure makes a bunch of different models, a big bunch. The Mar IITR is available in both 22LR and 22Mag, the former really would look nice in the gun cabinet. I dont think anyone can match Savage for quality/price combo right now.

Howdy. My Henry shoots good, fun to shoot. Feels like a Winchester and easy to unload when it's time to go back in the box.

Let's keep the USA, One Nation Under GOD !

I was in a quandry trying to decide the same thing, except I wanted a pump action 22 to shoot short, long and long rifle. The advice was to find an old Winchester; 100 year old gun with no warranty, but with great style points and a history about it was going to run from $300 to $600 or more. I looked at the Henry, but this plastic trigger guard turned me off.

After some soul searching, I went with the Henry Pump. Just got it today. Well shut my mouth!!! :FlagAm: It is really a beautiful rifle. Full octo barrel, Marbles sights, beautiful walnut. (and the trigger guard is not some cheap plastic crap but a metal lookalike polymer.) The action is a little snug, but it is supposed to wear in. It is truely a beautiful rifle. Wood to metal fit is great. Do I wish the receiver was solid like the Marlin 39A. Sure. But I paid $399.99 NEW with a lifetime warranty from Henry and Davidson's. ( the .22 Magnum version is $56 more). I am so far very satisfied. Will report back after I shoot it for a couple of hundred rounds. And it fits with the persona of my Ruger Convertible Single Sixes as well.

MJJ

If You can find one,,Good luck because I have been looking for one for years would be the Uberti 1866 in 22 mag. Yes they made a few and I once found one for sale in shotgun news and called right away, The seller said he sold it the first day and could have sold a hundred if he had them. I have one in 22 L.R. and I love that little gun.

My other sugestion would be to pinch your pennys and hold out for a Winchester M-1894 in 22 mag. It gets no better.

Good Luck in Your Search, Texas Man

I have a 77/22 mag and it is a sweet shooter and will have it forever. You can also find the 96 levers in 22 mag on gun broker fairly often still new in the box if you want something that isn't a bolt action (I have one of those in a 17) and it is also a real tack driver for a lever action. Lots of others if you decide to get a non Ruger to choose from as well. Enjoy the quest as it is even more special if you find just what you want!

If the Henry compares at all to the 9422M, go with it. I have had mine for a quarter of a century, and have loved every shot. Given you can't find the 9422M often, I am strongly considering a Henry for my older daughter, to keep her eyes off my Winchester....

+1 on the Savage if you want to scope it and shoot any distance. Some folks say they are ugly, but they are accurate. The Henry would be cool if you just want it for plinking.

Archived