SASS Wire Forum

Model 92 safety

Fargo Bill, SASS #4942

Open the action, locate the roll pin in the side of the bolt holding the safety in place, tap it out, and remove the safety, spring, and detent ball. Do this in an area where the ball & spring won't fall on the carpet or somesuch because the ball is only .060" diameter and it disappears real fast. Then fashion a plug, file a cross slot for the roll pin, and install it in the hole. Make sure it's not so long as to interfere with the bolt.

CLICKY

Open the action, locate the roll pin in the side of the bolt holding the safety in place, tap it out, and remove the safety, spring, and detent ball. Do this in an area where the ball & spring won't fall on the carpet or somesuch because the ball is only .060" diameter and it disappears real fast. Then fashion a plug, file a cross slot for the roll pin, and install it in the hole. Make sure it's not so long as to interfere with the bolt.

CLICKY

Thank you sir. That is how I had it figured out, and will do.

CLICKY

I would add, drive the pin out from the left side because it's knurled.

Easiest ......... contact Nate Kiowa Jones at stevesgunz. Next easiest, you don't have to fashion a plug. You already have one. Pull the safety out of the Breach Block (bolt), cut the bottom off, file the top flat, stick it back in and re-install the pin. Cold blue if you want or just keep a little oil on it after you polish it real nice. I actually prefer calling Nate :FlagAm:

Coffinmaker

I covered the hole in my 92 with a tang sight. looks cool

+1, Nate sells both.

I've done three 92's now all the same way.

Open the action, locate the roll pin in the side of the bolt holding the safety in place, tap it out, and remove the safety, spring, and detent ball. Do this in an area where the ball & spring won't fall on the carpet or somesuch because the ball is only .060" diameter and it disappears real fast. Then fashion a plug

That is an excellent start and a fair way to finish or as I did which was to weld over the top hole and grind/3M the surface flush with the rest of the bolt. Looks like one piece of steel that way. Easy for me since all of mine were stainless steel so a good polish job and I was done. A little more work with a blued model. Smithy.

Archived