SASS Wire Forum

TTN Hammered Coachgun

Mosey West

Last fall I bought a new TTN hammered coachgun. SN 67XX range. It is very smooth and doesn't need an action job. It has lighter springs, dumps fired hulls without having a gunsmith polish the chambers,etc.

I've been told that earlier production of this same gun wasn't this smooth as far as shooting right out of the box. Do any of you know about what SN these guns improved? Is yours one of the good later ones

and if so whats the general serial no.

Thanks in advance,

Mosey West

Mosey, It was not a serial number as much as it was a problem with the process and Walt Johnson leaving for other places. He was the one who started the TTN and he did the work so that the gun was ready to compete out of the box. The Quality control was bad and causing lots of problems so he went to EMF. I purchased one in about June of 09 and it was a piece of junk. The chambers were so bad it was unreal. You could see slag in them and no polishing would work. I contacted Walt and he exchanged the gun for me. The second one is a jewel and I really like it. They have several people on the Wire that well tell you that Walt is at Cimmaron but that is not true. He may be contacted by calling EMF if you have a problem.

My first one I got was when Walt was selling them, I had my dealer order it, should have sent it back but I didn't, it wouldn't open unless you used your knee to open it, the backside of the barrel where it is welded up together is missing about a inch or so of weld toward the bottom of it, looks to be a hole there also, it was the most filthy thing I ever have seen in a new gun, took forever to clean it up, like I said I should have sent it back and got another one, since then I have did some polishing where it opens up and now opens easier, haven't did anything about the weld missing yet. The serial # is in the 1,000 range. It sits in the safe and never has been shot because of the barrel.

Now since then I have gotten another one, serial # in the 3,000 range, it opens nice, cocks nice, ejects shells good, this is a 100% better than the first one, I got this from Ultona and had it sent to my dealer, I check this one out before I took posseion of it, basically check to see if the barrel was welded up all the way and it was. I have used it in one match last year, end of the season and it performed just fine, not very fast with it but I'm not fast with any shotgun, need to practice with them.

All for now JD Trampas

Thanks for that info JD. I knew you had one but thought the SN was much later than 3XXX. By the way, I tried to reach you about 8:30 this morning about this subject and your secretary said she was on the

phone and would have you return my call. That was 4 hours ago. It's sure hard to find good help, isn't it!

Mosey West

Mosey West,

I don't think there is a specific serial number range for good and bad TTNs. There was a constant improvement process. The early guns had problems and could be fixed. As production continued and QC improved along with the change of some parts (springs & sights) the guns have become the best value for dollar in CAS hammer doubles. You can still get the odd "friday" gun but it doesn't happen very often now.

My understanding is Cimarron is now the prime importer and provides the guns to "others" as well. They require little or no work to be fun right out of the box and just a little attention to be completely competitive.

I personally have two. I normally only take one to a match 'cause they just haven't been a problem. I do plan to get a new "Pioneer" as soon as I can afford one this spring 'cause I just want a high end hammer double. I'll still compete with TTNs though.

Coffinmaker

The early TTN's were a bit rough. Walt would even supply lighter springs for those but some wouldn't work with these springs. Later, TTN changed factory's. These later guns were much better. I don't know the serial number range but there is a difference in how the guns are made. The later version has a rear support bar through the stock that ties the two lock plates together with screws.

The support screw is straight back from the hammer nut.

Late TTN 1878 with the screw

Earler TTN 1878 without

Thank you fellers for the help. I appreciate it. The pictures you provided are most helpful Nate. I would assume when they make more that they learned from past mistakes and would make good ones.

Mosey West

I got one of the later versions at Academy sports and I love it. I can't seem to locate a takedown chart for it though. The crude instructions that came with the gun are no help. It looks like the spings are leaf style instead of coil?? I would like to lighten the break open spring but if its a leaf spring I dont think I can.

Thanks,

Eli

I got one of the later versions at Academy sports and I love it. I can't seem to locate a takedown chart for it though. The crude instructions that came with the gun are no help. It looks like the spings are leaf style instead of coil?? I would like to lighten the break open spring but if its a leaf spring I dont think I can.

Thanks,

Eli

They are leaf springs. Had mine for four years now ,this past year the main springs had weakened to the point that the right one would not always set off a primer. Replaced both right and left springs,other than that no problems,Love that shotgun. Adios Sgt. Jake

Thanks,

Eli

I guess you can call them a type of leaf spring. They are considered to be "V" springs even the top latch spring. It can be reduced but if you haven't done it before best get a spare.

I've had mine since the summer of 2004( my retirement gift to myself). Quick glance shows 4 digits in the serial, first two may even be zeros( my eyes and a little too much oil). only problems I've had with mine were left over blueing salts in places, gone now. And it had the stronger springs which Walt sent me the lighter ones and a bigger bead that came available. Had some problems with one lock getting the spring changed, had to have my smith( rest his soul) do some fitting to get the change done. After that, nothing but reliable. mine is all blued( really early?) Shells dump easy, barrels are regulated good. Just feels nice in hand. got mine from the fella that had connections with USFA in Conn., can't remember the outfit's name off hand though.............Buck :blink:

Name just came to mind......Gary Granger :lol:

Archived