SASS Wire Forum

What's a Good Handgun Caliber for Coyotes?

Church Key, SASS # 33713

I consider that attitude callous and would not do that to a rattle snake, even varmint control should have its bounds.

Bob, killing rattlers should have no bounds. Last summer a young family was at the lake and their 2 yo daughter was bit by a rattler. 911 was called & the baby was air lifted to the hospital in a chopper but died in route. I look at every rattler I kill as a child's life that I may have just saved.

Noz I don't think they were looking at self defence from yotes but from yje two legged variety. And coyotes will attack calves if hungery enough & humans if they feel threatened with no avenue of escape or if rabid.

To the OP, is Fido on a lease or not? If yes, then no coyote will attack and if he does, then it is rabbited.

Someone obviously hasn't told the coyotes this because there are some out there that aren't playing by the rules. :blush:

I carry a 380 in my pocket

and a sword cane in my hand

18" blade that comes out of a simple straight cane

coyotes watch me when I walk, then they usually slink off into the brush..............cuz they have a survival instint, and I come accross as a preditor "me own self"

but coyotes never come closer or meaner than the local pet dogs I come accross

er

hoodlem teenagers these days (in small groups)

I have hunting instints and eyes

I see yoteee's that others might not

its fun, in the long run

as already said

I fear the pet dog, more than yotees when I walk, ride and play in the great outdoors

It's time to recall that a young woman will killed by coyotes in Nova Scotia about a year ago (see Taylor Mitchell). If she was prepared to deal with feral bipeds or stray dogs the 'yotes would have been no problem.

You have had coyotes take a dog off one end of the leash while you were on the other end of the leash? :blush:

Happened in Plano Tx a few years back.

They also came into a back yard while the people was out there with there kids.

Took the familys little dog while they was all hollering at it.

I am out in the country so unless one wonders off.

Don't normally have any problems.

Plano and that area use to be a small citys/towns with lots of country around it.

Now that whole area is just one big city.

Coyotes ran out of places to go. No more food but the family pets.

if you are of a mind set to fend against the neighbors badd dog or dogs (packs under the cover of night) I had chickens,, seen it all, dogs are worese than yoteeees

then..................and only if then

yoteeees, would already fall under yer plan :FlagAm:

no need for a special coyote caliber

yer plan will work

Happened in Plano Tx a few years back.

They also came into a back yard while the people was out there with there kids.

Took the familys little dog while they was all hollering at it.

I am out in the country so unless one wonders off.

Don't normally have any problems.

Plano and that area use to be a small citys/towns with lots of country around it.

Now that whole area is just one big city.

Coyotes ran out of places to go. No more food but the family pets.

WOW!!! That is news to me.

I fully understand where a dog/cat could/would disappear out of the back yard because of a coyote.

Cats and small dogs are at risk in the open from Bald Eagles where I live.

It's just not safe out there.

Thanks for the info.

Blastmaster

You could find yourself asking two questions about this. One is if You are in a area with houses around You will have to ask where my bullet will stop question and the other question is how well can I shoot a moving target like a coyote with your dog all excited as you are as well. I have many times over the years had to concider when I fired a shot where my bullet would end up? Most of the time if you can be postive of placing a solid hit on a small animal the smaller lower powered bullets will not go far should they exit at all. This would rule out a large heavy powered round in a populated area.

Second as K. Jones said you should be able to hit a moving target at a fair distance and this could be any mans quess how close a coyote may come to you. I dislike the the large size of the Judge revolver but the 410 with buck would be a good choice at close ranger and the 22 L. R. or the 22 mag. with hollow that would break up after hitting the coyote or the ground is probly a good bet.

Sometimes when I am on a dozer here in Centeral and South Texas clearing land I stir up hundreds and mice and rats and I watch hawks as they drop down after them and many times coyotes will cone up right next to the dozer hunting mice and rats. Sometimes depending on where I am and My mood I use my 45 auto to pick them off and any accrate 22 handgun will work about as well. I like to use head shots or shoulder shots and thats all it takes. Many times I have seen Foxes and once or twice I even had a bobcat run by the dozer chasing rats. Last month I was clearing out a dranage channel next to a Elementry school and on the first past in the channel as I was pushing a willow three out near the concrete bridge I came up with two rattlesnakes. One was about five foot and the other was about 6 1/2 foot and had swollowed a full grown tomcat. I shot both from the drivers seat with my Kimber 45. The school was closed for Thanksgiving. Sometimes we will uncover rattlesnake dens and it fun shooting them as they sliver off. Sometimes We just turned the big dozer around on top of them grinding them into the dirt. One operator had one come up the track and in the cab with him last year. He could not jump off the tractor because of the snakes on the ground around the dozer so he killed the engine and jumped up on the hood till the snake went out the other side.

Your Pard, Texas Man

Yep, like Mad Mike said, I'm more concerned with neighbors domestic canines than coyotes. There's been a number of children killed or mauled by Pit Bulls on the front range in the past few years, have not read about any Coyote attacks recently. When I go on hikes around our property in the hills I see coyotes and they usually scoot immediately when they see me and the hairy child. We carry guns mostly for Jack Rabbits, Gophers, etc. Personally I'm more concerned with 2 legged vermin. Coyotes are part of the outdoors, they are a necessary evil in order to keep a healthy gene pool for many animal species. Whatever happened to Bad Gene Pool?

Many years ago Notorius (Frontiersman World Champ 2005) was walking his medium sized dog in a park just west of Denver, densly populated area, and it was attacked by several coyotes, Phil got his dog away from them before they killed her. I believe the Coyotes that hang around urban areas become less afraid of humans than rural Coyotes due to lack of being targeted by ranchers, etc.

I don't shoot them unless they get too close, when they start hanging around the outbuildings or neighbors place we take them out.

LL'

el gato gordo ,here in the east our coyotes are about 50% larger than its western brothers.deer are definitely part of their "natural pray". i have witnessed my self 3 different times. here in the catskills you cant spend a day in the woods with out finding coyote crap with deer hair in it. regards, porcupine kid

el gato gordo ,here in the east our coyotes are about 50% larger than its western brothers.deer are definitely part of their "natural pray". i have witnessed my self 3 different times. here in the catskills you cant spend a day in the woods with out finding coyote crap with deer hair in it. regards, porcupine kid

Dang you must have some big Coyotes, record in WY is 77 pounds. I've seen deer and antelope kick a coyotes ass into the dirt, doe or buck will turn on them. Those eastern coyotes with deer hair in their scat are probaly eating roadkill, after all coyotes are the most opportunistic animal on the planet. They will eat dead, dying, or weak critters and shy away from an animal that will put up a fight. Occasionally if the numbers are in their favor they will attempt to kill a healthy animal if they are hungry enough. Their favorite meal is placenta, a protein enriched meal just laying there for the taking. Sheriff Pack Wolf lives in CO and has killed more coyotes than most of us have seen, and he told me he's killed them over 80 pounds. :blink:

Our mountains are 400% bigger than your mountains!

LL'

L.L. we are talking averages here. I cant say if coyotes kill deer out west or not , but you can count on it that thay do here. also a 22mag wouldnt be my 1st choice for large coyote east or west. any way youre growing wolf population will eat the deer when they run out of elk and moose. yours truly,the porcuine kid from the short mtns.

Further to what Coyotes will do, I personaly know two bowhunters that have been attacked and bitten in what appears to be attempts to drive them away from their arrow killed deer ..... In the First case "Tracy" (6'4", 230pounds) was on his knees field dressing his buck, with his bow leaning against a tree about 8 yards away .... He was attacked by three Yotes from behind in a rush, one on each side going for the neck/shoulder area while the third going for his hamstring .... With-out going into deatails he lost most of his left earlobe,needed 8 stiches on the left side of his neck, on the right he needed only 4 stiches on his lower jaw/cheek area .... The bigger more aggressive Yote caused the most damage missed cutting the hamstring by less than an inch, it took 37 stiches to close up the damage .... Tracy a strong Outdoors Man was able to fight his way clear of first attack and reach his bow, he shot and killed one yote and wounded another .... Then using is jacket to bind up his leg and his bow as a crutch/walking stick he made it to the nearest road where a bunch of us traditional archers were having coffee and discussing the days hunt ....

The other hunter attacked 3 years later was also attacked by a group of coyotes (5) he claimed,he was a smaller man (5'11" 160 pounds) and the Yotes less determined or less skillful ..... He recieved bites to his right arm 12 stiches needed and 9 stiches needed in the hamstring area (his insulated coveralls,jeans and longjohns were shreaded ... He started screamming like a banshee and reaching his bow started launching arrows at the Yotes,his hunting partner on his way back with the truck finshed chasing of the pack ....

Jabez Cowboy

Just about anything that will go 'Boom', give a little muzzle flash and hurt a couple of them.

A few 'yelps' amongst their pack will start moving them back to a quieter environment.

..........Widder

Depends, Do you want to kill them? or just run em off?

Run em off, shot cartridge first round, second round fatal.

Shenny

Never Shoot A Coyote to wound him !!!!

Hungary Yote is bad.

Corrnered Yote is Bader...

Wounded Yote is BADEST !!!!

Jabez Cowboy

To the Fire,

I found this on the internet.

I guess the little buggers will attack humans.

IN THAT CASE!!!! Be Aware, VERY Aware... and carry...

"Attacks on humans

A sign discouraging people from feeding coyotes, which can lead to them habituating themselves to human presence, thus increasing the likelihood of attackCoyote attacks on humans are uncommon and rarely cause serious injuries, due to the relatively small size of the coyote. However, coyote attacks on humans have increased since 1998 in the state of California. Data from USDA Wildlife Services, the California Department of Fish & Game, and other sources show that while 41 attacks occurred during the period of 1988-1997, 48 attacks were verified from 1998 through 2003. The majority of these incidents occurred in Southern California near the suburban-wildland interface.[59]

Due to an absence of harassment by residents, urban coyotes lose their natural fear of humans, which is further worsened by people intentionally feeding coyotes. In such situations, some coyotes have begun to act aggressively toward humans, chasing joggers and bicyclists, confronting people walking their dogs, and stalking small children.[59] Non-rabid coyotes in these areas will sometimes target small children, mostly under the age of 10, though some adults have been bitten. In June 2010 a 3-year-old girl and a 6-year-old girl were attacked and seriously injured in separate attacks by coyotes in Rye, New York, a suburb of New York City. The 6-year-old was attacked by two coyotes on June 25 and the 3-year-old was attacked by one coyote on June 29. There was no indication the animals were rabid, but the girls were given treatment as a precaution.[60][61]

There are only two recorded fatalities in North America from coyote attacks.[62] In 1981 in Glendale, California, a coyote attacked toddler Kelly Keen, who was rescued by her father, but died in surgery due to blood loss and a broken neck.[59][63] In October 2009, Taylor Mitchell, a 19-year-old folk singer on tour, died from injuries sustained in an attack by a pair of coyotes while hiking in the Skyline Trail of the Cape Breton Highlands National Park in Nova Scotia, Canada.[64] Recent studies have shown, however, that the large northeastern coyotes responsible for this attack may in fact be coyote-wolf hybrids (or coywolves) due to absorption of wolves when coyotes moved into eastern North America.[65]"

Hey Blastmaster, done learned something new ........

Good Show !!!

Jabez Cowboy

In 56 years of living mostly in rural settings, about the closest I've ever seen a living coyote in the wild has been a couple hundred yards or further (crossing road or in field beside road) and he was hauling butt away from me as fast as his legs would take him. I don't remember ever seeing more than one at a time either. The article I quoted indicates that in California, with the land size and population density, there is about four reportable attacks per year. Those attacks were in sub-division/open-space areas. So, it is a rarity but possible occurance for unwanted interaction between coyote and human.

Yep, I learned something, but I don;t think I will carry a weapon specifically for coyotes when I go for my next walk.

Blastmaster

Went on a Naturalist tour Yesterday (Thursday), of several islands that were left in state trust and the subject of coyotes came up. The resident state Biologist who was doing the tour guide service for our group informed us that coyotes and feral hogs had become a major problem on these large islands and yes, contrary to popular tv drivel, which I have believed for years, the coyotes are having a major impact on deer population and even sea turtle nesting sites. His figures backed up by electronic monitoring devices place newly dropped fawn kills at over 80% of all known causes of new born deaths right now. He had some really interesting thoughts on the common tv information that coyotes only eat mice when there is a healthy deer population that they can and do impact. It seems the state is less concerned about the deer than the sea turtles and are actually using volunteers to walk beaches at night to try and scare the coyotes away from the turtle nests, with very limited success, the coyotes watch and learn. He thinks of them as dangerously proliferate, adaptable and smart anywhere they get a foothold. An interesting old dude and very outspoken concerning the govt and its less than intelligent management of resources.

Went on a Naturalist tour Yesterday (Thursday), of several islands that were left in state trust and the subject of coyotes came up. The resident state Biologist who was doing the tour guide service for our group informed us that coyotes and feral hogs had become a major problem on these large islands and yes, contrary to popular tv drivel, which I have believed for years, the coyotes are having a major impact on deer population and even sea turtle nesting sites. His figures backed up by electronic monitoring devices place newly dropped fawn kills at over 80% of all known causes of new born deaths right now. He had some really interesting thoughts on the common tv information that coyotes only eat mice when there is a healthy deer population that they can and do impact. It seems the state is less concerned about the deer than the sea turtles and are actually using volunteers to walk beaches at night to try and scare the coyotes away from the turtle nests, with very limited success, the coyotes watch and learn. He thinks of them as dangerously proliferate, adaptable and smart anywhere they get a foothold. An interesting old dude and very outspoken concerning the govt and its less than intelligent management of resources.

Need to put a bounty on them like they did around here for awhile.

If I remember right. It was $20 or $25 bucks for a pair of ears.

Just take the ears off after shooting them. Take to the county agent and

get paid.

Up here they chase down and kill deer regulary,,,,,,,,,,, and these are large Canadian Deer ....

I have also seen them kill Beef Calves .....

Jabez Cowboy

Smith and Wesson 29 with 8 3/8" barrel. (.44 mag.) I'm going to start carrying a 16" AR15 for 'yotes. Just because I like it!

Blackfoot :)

+1 on the AR....just plan fun to shot yotes with out to 300 yards....other then the AR used a 22mag for years and it does a fine job

I also live in the sticks. Nearest town is 5 miles, populations 600. The wife raises rabbits, chickens and dogs. Yotees are close but the dogs keep them away. I have, however, encountered them in my pasture. The field was about waist high in grass/hay and I noticed something was moving in it. When it crossed one of the irrigation ditches I saw it was a yotee--and I was unarmed, but it was heading away from me. I don't mind them because they, and the Foxes, control the Ground Rat population.

However, that being said, if they're in the barnyard they're dead. I might consider mounting one of these in the barnyard just in case. :)

http://www.fnherstal.com/index.php?id=658

You have had coyotes take a dog off one end of the leash while you were on the other end of the leash? :)

Coyotes are a pain in the butt..when my daughter was raising lambs & rabbits for 4-H & FFA we had the damn things around all the time. I had this one bold pack of 5 or 6 that gave me fits I learned allot about coyotes and the games the play from this pack.

One day the wife was throwing scratch to the chickens and the pack came in .....the main pack held back in the brush about 40 yards and the leader ran over and took a hen from between the wife's feet...

We had a Queensland healer at the time that was the the lamb guard dog. Now Patch my Queensland was as around 35lbs of blue teeth and smart as hell....the coyotes would not get with in 15 yards of him in the open around the house or lamb pen and Patch was smart enough not to chase them into the brush .

This pack tried everything in the world the get the little SOB but Patch would not take the bate....The main pack would lay in the brush and the leader would come in dragging a leg playing hurt Patch would run him into the brush but not go into the brush were they would lay in wait ... one time they sent a bitch in heat that hung just on our side of the brush with the pack laying in wait..as Patch had no nuts he did not care about her being in heat...How do I know she was in heat? ...When I killed he it was plan to see.

I wound up killing 3 out of this pack and they did not break up until I killed there leader.

As for Coyotes taking a dog on a leash it happens around the county here every cupple of years someone will be walking there kick dog and a coyote will have it for dinner and every year a coyote or Montainlion will take a dog or cat off a deck or out of a yard with people right there.

Coyotes are one of the smartest creatures around and if they can take it down they will.

Bottom line is if I have a gun in hand and I see them I kill them.

However, that being said, if they're in the barnyard they're dead. I might consider mounting one of these in the barnyard just in case. :)

http://www.fnherstal.com/index.php?id=658

Especially needed for that possible coyote aerial assault!

Wife told me we still have a bounty here. Have to check it out... spring's around the corner and my little .30-30 with those 125HPs from Sierra is deadly on 'yotes. 'Yotes are an omnivore, they'll eat anything, and everything. Picked off a couple in my yard eating plums fallen off the tree. Between the plum, pear and apple trees, a little wounded rabbit call and plenty of ammo, a little blind of stacked firewood on the back porch... thick woods about 100 yards away, pasture fence about 70' feet, it can get a little boring on how easy they are. Wait 'til ya hear 'em singin', a few toots on the call... and blam, a newly made corpse. Closest one I've shot was about 50', that little 125 picked 'im up and flipped 'im in the air twice; didn't exit and DRT. Out to the treeline they drop like they were hit over the head with a splittin' mallet!

Like Al said, they're opportunistic feeders, and barn cats disappear too regularly for them not to have become part of the 'yote menu.

Archived