SASS Wire Forum

What's a Good Handgun Caliber for Coyotes?

Church Key, SASS # 33713

I live in a subdivision in West Virginia that is surrounded by farms. The farm behind me raises free-range cattle during the spring to late fall. According to the owners' wife, the DNR recently let some coyotes loose to control the deer population near an adjoining quarry and some have now decided to move to her property.

I walk my dog late at night in our neighborhood. I don't want to carry a shotgun and upset the neighbors. What's a good coyote handgun caliber? I have a concealed carry permit so pistol carry is not an issue. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this matter. I currently carry a 200 lumen Surefire flashlight that usually stops most critters and a heavy walking staff. probably need to add a handgun.

I agree with the .22 mag posting. Horandy makes a great 30gr ballistic tip round in .22mag that would suit your purpose. Light weight, good down range energy, easy to conceal. Hope this helps.

Just about anything that will go 'Boom', give a little muzzle flash and hurt a couple of them.

A few 'yelps' amongst their pack will start moving them back to a quieter environment.

..........Widder

I live in a subdivision in West Virginia that is surrounded by farms. The farm behind me raises free-range cattle during the spring to late fall. According to the owners' wife, the DNR recently let some coyotes loose to control the deer population near an adjoining quarry and some have now decided to move to her property.

I walk my dog late at night in our neighborhood. I don't want to carry a shotgun and upset the neighbors. What's a good coyote handgun caliber? I have a concealed carry permit so pistol carry is not an issue. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this matter. I currently carry a 200 lumen Surefire flashlight that usually stops most critters and a heavy walking staff. probably need to add a handgun.

Now that is an interesting strategy for deer control. Here in western CO coyotes are vermin to be shot on sight, particularly around calving time. Even with every mans hand against them you will occasionally still see them wandering around downtown in the alleys. A very good survivor type of critter.

If a close range encounter is what you could expect and are preparing for, I would think a 22 (mag or LR) or a 9mm (better choice if you might also encounter 2 legged coyote) would be sufficient to dispatch one with good shot placement.

Regards

:blush:

Gateway (usually with a 243 for coyotes) Kid

I recommend that you consider a revolver that has a 6 inch barrel at least or 8 inch for accuracy purposes.... .22 magnum is fine, use Hornady Varmit rounds.... ....in something like a S&W model 48-4....

Any centerfire pistol or revolver that you can hit an apple with at 20 yards will do. A short barrel cowboy gun would not be out of the question. The need for reloads would be unlikely since the 'yotes would likely scatter at the first shot.

In this case, my Uberti Thunderer .45 Colt with a 3-1/2" barrel would be packed, loaded with 200 grain XTP's at 900 fps.

This would also make for a good story at the range.

I seriously doubt that anybody "released them for deer control." First, every state except Hawaii has had significant coyote populations since the '70's, and second, deer are not their natural prey. Well, maybe fawns. Mostly rodents, though, and the helpless young of larger animals.

I wouldn't think you would need to hit them at 20 yards in a subdivision. Reasonable distances that do not endanger anyone else, inside or out, might be 5 to 10 yards. Then you not only have a supportable argument that you or your dog were threatened, but you also have less of a likelihood of shooting an innocent person. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CONSEQUENCES OF EVERY SHOT THAT LEAVES YOUR GUN, REGARDLESS OF YOUR JUSTIFICATION IN PULLING THE TRIGGER. And even a .22 LR will penetrate most exterior walls of modern houses.

Buena suerte, y cuidado!

eGG

Ruger Single-Six. I carry the 5&1/2 inch ss version. I keep it loaded up with the .22 magnum cylinder. The .22 magnum is very powerful little round, much underrated, in my opinion. I know a guy who regularly kills hogs with a .22 magnum bolt action Marlin.

My dog was attacked by a huge possum in my subdivision.

One head shot at 5 yards with a .22 magnum killed that possum dead.

I've dispatched a few coyotes, and those buck toothed tree chewing jack rabbits with my trusty Ruger Security Six using 38 cowboy loads. Shot one tick infested jack rabbit at 65 yards.

Church Key, you might want to get one of those fancy coyotes calling machines with a recording of a wounded rabbit. Take the proactive approach instead of being suprised by them on the trail. They won't affect the deer population, but they will control stray cats and small dogs.

LL'

Something to think about, as posted above, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CONSEQUENCES OF EVERY SHOT THAT LEAVES YOUR GUN, REGARDLESS OF YOUR JUSTIFICATION IN PULLING THE TRIGGER. And even a .22 LR will penetrate most exterior walls of modern houses. I know you probibly have thought of this, but it bears repeting as a safety note.

I've personaly shot 'youts with everything from a 22lr to 44 mag and 45 colt, and the 17HMR. Anything larger than the 22Mag WILL pass through a 'youte and keep going. In a subdivison, you might be best serves with either one of the 17 cal or 22 cal rimfires.

Just a thought.

Greeenriver

Out here in the sticks of Arizona, my dog walking gun is a 4 5/8" .357 Blackhawk, a little high at 25 yards but easily hits 10" plate at 50 off hand.

I usually carry it with first two rounds of snake shot and the next four 158 gr JHP. Should be enough for anything out here with or without legs. Haven't had to use it yet it the last four years even though we've had a couple coyote incidents. I have a couple Australian Cattle Dogs, so far they've handled the coyotes without me having to intervene.

Church Key, there's a lot of good info posted here, and the pards are absolutely right about being able to handle a coyote with anything from .22 LR to .44 mag. But, in your situation, being close to a residential area and all, I personally would probably opt for a .22 magnum.

I always have to bite my tongue when people refer to the .22 magnum simply as a "beefed up .22 LR," because it is so much more than that. The ballistics on this little rimfire are awesome, especially with some of the loads the pards have suggested. A .22 magnum handgun loaded with some substantial hollow point loads will drop a coyote faster than O.J. stopped looking for the real killer.

I did not get the impression he was hunting them, but wanted a HG for personal protection and having an illumination device for defense should not be ab issue. Now if they think you are poaching that could be another issue.

You might want to check your state laws on using artificial lights and firearms. :FlagAm:

I seriously doubt that anybody "released them for deer control." First, every state except Hawaii has had significant coyote populations since the '70's, and second, deer are not their natural prey. Well, maybe fawns. Mostly rodents, though, and the helpless young of larger animals.

I wouldn't think you would need to hit them at 20 yards in a subdivision. Reasonable distances that do not endanger anyone else, inside or out, might be 5 to 10 yards. Then you not only have a supportable argument that you or your dog were threatened, but you also have less of a likelihood of shooting an innocent person. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CONSEQUENCES OF EVERY SHOT THAT LEAVES YOUR GUN, REGARDLESS OF YOUR JUSTIFICATION IN PULLING THE TRIGGER. And even a .22 LR will penetrate most exterior walls of modern houses.

Buena suerte, y cuidado!

eGG

IMHO, your answer is the most responsible one so far.

To the OP, is Fido on a lease or not? If yes, then no coyote will attack and if he does, then it is rabbited in which you CCW firearm will do fine. It would be adviseable to have your CCW with you anyway for the 2 legged variety.

If Fido is allowed to run, then well, you are rather out of luck. Dark (you said late at night, flashlight, ect) distance, using flashlight, Fido chases coyote/rabbit/bird and is out of sight,,, not good.

Finally, which caliber to answer the original question? A 22caliber on up would do the job.

Blastmaster

Georgia has had a problem with coyotes for some years and now they are supposedly taking a good hold in areas of South Carolina. To a man, every DNR representative I have talked to is concerned with the critters or dang right hostile towards them. One of my daughters (a rural Ga resident) has lost two pets to the coyotes and their local game warden says to kill all they can and he will look the other way while cheering for them. Her husband shoots them with a 308 while his dad shoots them with 22 rifles. As you could imagine, the 308 drops them instantly while the 22 has never nailed one to the spot yet. After finding a couple of dead ones that were believed killed by the 22, the old man is satisfied with his choice of firearms. I consider that attitude callous and would not do that to a rattle snake, even varmint control should have its bounds. I agree with the idea that If Virginia politics brought them in, they were not showing a lot of common sense but then the state has changed more than I would have ever dreamed possible.

This is similar to the rumor that Missouri released Timber Rattlers to help control wild hog populations. Didn't happen and I'm sure West Virginia has enough coyotes with out importing.

A side note. the major prey species for the coyote is the cotton tail rabbit, if available. We have enjoyed watching our local coyote working day after day trying to catch a wild turkey. That too has not happened.

If you feel you must shoot coyotes then my opinion is anything .25 and bigger in a handgun.

I re-read some of the above posts and saw that self defense was a consideration. I think that is foolish. Why would an animal that weighs 20 to 40 pounds and is a rodent hunter even consider attacking a human? We watch our beef cows sleep while coyotes play in among the baby calves. The cows have no fear for themselves nor their babies, once they get up on their feet. If you are that afraid of wild animals, stay at home.

To those that believe that a coyote won't kill your dog while yer'e on the other end of the leash,,,,, move to Calgary Alberta in that big city where coyotes are not controled to any great degree .... There is seldom a two week period were just that hasn't happened , and this year one person was attacked by a non rabit coyote and killed ,,,,, here in Alberta ...

Jabez Cowboy

They are present in the state of Delaware. :o

A .22-250 will cause them to loose their heads.... :blink: Yard work... a 12 Ga. ;)

My carry gun is a 9mm loaded with Remington Golden Sabre. :)

My brother-in-law has taken them with a Browing .22 auto rifle he keeps handy. :P

I have sold several .410 Derringers to farmers for tractor carry. ;)

I would not feel uncomfortable carrying/using a Ruger MKI .22 semi-auto. B) Ten rounds with an extra mag.

There was a rumor that coyotes were released to control our huge deer herd. :ph34r: The state brought in helicopters, sharpshooters, hi-powered rifles, silencers and night scopes to cull the herd.... at great expense. A genuine failure. :(

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions. My dog is always on a leash, I have a CCW permit (in WV it's a "Revolver and Pistol Permit"), I only intend to act in self defence, and will carry my S&W 642 w/wadcutters.

To those that believe that a coyote won't kill your dog while yer'e on the other end of the leash,,,,, move to Calgary Alberta in that big city where coyotes are not controled to any great degree .... There is seldom a two week period were just that hasn't happened , and this year one person was attacked by a non rabit coyote and killed ,,,,, here in Alberta ...

Jabez Cowboy

Yep.

If they are hungry. They ARE going to go for food.

In a lot of places. We have taken away there food supply.

So they are going after what they can, when they can.

Luckly around here. There is still room and places for them to hunt for food.

But we have had a few barn cats come up missing now and then.

Pretty sure thay because part of the food chain.

We had a bounty on them around here for years.

Yep Meals on a Rope !!!!

Thanks fer bringing me ,,,,, Take-out...

The Yotes In Calgary have found dogs on leash to be a good and easy sourse of vittles....

Several dummies have been bitten when they refused to let the Yote carry of their pet ....

Jabez Cowboy

Archived