SASS Wire Forum

Starting up a New Club

Confession time: I have not shot in CAS competition in over a year.

My friends at the local Wildlife Club (Rod & Gun Club for most of you) seem interested. There are a few SASS shooters in the area, but not any that I know of in the club itself. Need to generate some interest and also find somewhere that I can find a "definitive study" on what needs to be done and how to do it. I have a general conception about what the range should look like and what we need in the way of equipment and supplies, but I'd like to see it written out in a concise way that could be studied by a "working group" at the Wildlife Club (we don't have "committees," because that doesn't sound very inviting).

Suggestion, please. Feel free to message or email me.

Blessings to all out there in SASS Etherland

Good luck. I don't believe you will find a "definitive study." At one time SASS had a Club Start-Up package. It consisted of sample scenarios, sample bylaws and sample forms. Check with the SASS office, they may still offer something.

The NRA also has materials to help organizations build or develop shooting ranges.

Each situation is different so I doubt you will ever find a one-size-fits-all answer. You will have to do the legwork and target your information to the structure and organization of the location and existing organization. As an example, I have seen widely varying styles of posse score sheets in my years of shooting at local clubs. All styles seem to work, so is there a perfect form? No, it all depends on the local application. What do you want?

My best suggestion to you is to travel to nearby (relatively speaking) clubs and talk with the leaders of those organizations. Take pictures of targets and props. Obtain copies of forms. Obtain copies of constitutions or by-laws. Then go home and "cut and paste" to fit your club's specific needs.

Good luck,

Steeldust Dan

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

Both Steeldust and Allie Mo have given you some good advice. I Co- Founded a CAS club in Middle Georgia in the early 90s; it is still there today and doing well. My Pardner and I had a lot of experience shooting various sorts of shooting competitions, however, we were real beginners in CAS. SASS provided a good "club beginners " manual and we used it and kind of played it on the wing as we went. Two of us did go to North Georgai to an established club for a shoot and we picked up a lot of hints there. So the advice you got about going to a shoot is very valid.

There is a great book on CAS by Charley Gullett, titled Cowboy Action Shooting. It is not real current, i.e., 1995, however, it has a lot of great info for the beginner, and there are other good ones out there too. Contact SASS Hdqs and ask what they now offer. Don't give up; keep on plugging along. It will be worth your time and you will be surprised how many folks will offer help.

Hoss Carpenter

My best advice to you is "don't re-invent the wheel." Lots of us have started a CAS club, or added to an existing shooting program's activities. There's lots of information and help available, you just have to ask for it. It also helps to know where to look. Operations, forms, range layouts, etc., have all been done before. It may take your "working group" a little tweaking to fit your specific wants and needs, but remember someone before you has come up against the same issue.

Good luck,

Steeldust Dan

Rev. Lyin' Kerrdawg, TG at Tulsey Town, is another good contact as they have just started their club up as well.

Okb

When I started Comanche Trail Shootist. I got the SASS Startup Pkg. Then I printed up several posters & brochures and sign up sheets on clipboards & took them to every gun shop in the area and asked them to post the poster & put the brochures & clipboards on the counter where parties interested in forming a CAS club could list their name & phone number. After 3 months I picked up the clipboards and invited those who signed up to a meeting at my home. On 6-28-95 11 guys showed up at my home & watched a couple SASS videos. We voted right then to form the club, elected officers & each kicked in $200 to give us some working capital to get started.

In October of that year after getting our insurance policy in hand from Carpenter Insurance, we had our first match on a member's ranch. About 25 shooters showed up. The match consisted of two stages and a BBQ after-wards. I had invited the local TV stations out to do a human interest story on us. Only the NBC affiliate showed up. But they did a nice piece on us during the 6 & ten o'clock sports segment of the news.

Advertising is something that is very important & vital to any club but more especially in those lightly populated areas or transit areas such as the oil field as is the case here. Midland/Odessa area has a population of less than 275,000. A vast number work in the oil field & thus are subject to transfers in & out of the area. You loose members to transfers & miss out on potential new members if people who transfer in don't know that there's a club in your area. So you have to keep it up. When I was the trail boss we set up tables with all the guns we shoot & the club has a 13" TV with built in VCR & we would be in costume & show CAS videos & hand out brochures. We were also on TV several time. The smaller broadcast markets are always looking for filler to fill up their news segment time & human interest stories. So take advantage of that free publicity. We even had a full page story with color photos done in the local Sunday paper in the Lifestyle section.

For your information I have two shooting buddies, Billy Two Hares and Gideon Withette, who have designed targets with stands that collapse so they are easy to store. They are very well designed and constructed.

They are in the process of putting together a complete package of targets for newly created cowboy action clubs.

I'll have them contact you.

Sage Creek Gus

• find a place ta shoot (utmost)
  • find $$
  • find vollenteers
  • start a llc or corp
    • get insured

good luck

have fun

Howdy Ed, long time no see. Madd Mike has it in a nut shell, you need a place to shoot and you've got that. Pay your SASS dues for club affiliation, if offered by the club as a shooting disipline then you can tag on to thier insurance. Targets, loading unloading tables, props, start shooting. Stick close to SASS recommened minimum target size and distance, and following the guidelines should make a good match. You've been to Cross Creek enough to know what makes a successfull match. I'm sure if you asked Jack he would be glad to answer any questions to help you. Hope to see you at the match Saturday, they are starting one hour late, 10:00 shooters meeting. Good Luck

Jefro :blush: Relax-Enjoy

Howdy Ed, long time no see. Madd Mike has it in a nut shell, you need a place to shoot and you've got that. Pay your SASS dues for club affiliation, if offered by the club as a shooting disipline then you can tag on to thier insurance. Targets, loading unloading tables, props, start shooting. Stick close to SASS recommened minimum target size and distance, and following the guidelines should make a good match. You've been to Cross Creek enough to know what makes a successfull match. I'm sure if you asked Jack he would be glad to answer any questions to help you. Hope to see you at the match Saturday, they are starting one hour late, 10:00 shooters meeting. Good Luck

Jefro :blush: Relax-Enjoy

sassmaddmike@yahoo.com

iffen ya have more questions

but it sounds like

ya got friends to do the same

SASS rocks, but ya will need help, REAL help

CE,

For years, I have been teaching how to develop a successful club. The class covers pretty much everything to get the ball rolling.

I have an outline, that I use for the class, on my web site, along with the outlines for all of the classes I have given. Although the outline is missing the actual discussion, it does cover all of the items you need to address.

Feel free to use it and modify it to suit your local needs.

Any questions, just give me a shout at WildlifeRangers@aol.com.

Here is a direct link to the classes menu Visit My Website

Chuckaroo

Cowboy Junky has done a great job with the Greenville Gunfighters in Greenville, SC. I'd suggest you touch base with him and get some pointers. He frequents this wire as well as the Carolina Cowboys wire.

FV

:FlagAm:

Thanks Fontana Vic,

Pick a good weekend that fits in the schedule and give the folks what they want. There are MANY good clubs in NC to model after and while I don't have anything written down I'll do whatever I can to help.....just shoot me a PM if ya’ need any help.

Archived