SASS Wire Forum

for you GIs

Trigger Mike

While stationed in Germany I bought some matterhorn boots and left them in the basement for the last 18 years. It snowed finally a decent snow down here so I got them out and they are still warm, but they were covered in white that I suppose is mildew(most of which came off in the snow) but the tongue is stiff as a board and no longer forms to my leg. How do I loosen it up?

I'd wash them carefully with warm water and saddle soap. I had some cowboy boots that happened to while overseas. I thought they were ruined permanently, but not so! They didn't crack at all. As I recall, I sprayed them on the inside with some disinfectant. After that, I wore them a lot (I think that I put them on slightly damp, actually) and tried to keep a good amount of flexible polish or waterproofing on them. I still have them. The mildew "antiqued" them and they never had the same light brown color anymore, but they are still good boots.

I'm sure that others will have better solutions, but it worked for me!

I'd wash them carefully with warm water and saddle soap. I had some cowboy boots that happened to while overseas. I thought they were ruined permanently, but not so! They didn't crack at all. As I recall, I sprayed them on the inside with some disinfectant. After that, I wore them a lot (I think that I put them on slightly damp, actually) and tried to keep a good amount of flexible polish or waterproofing on them. I still have them. The mildew "antiqued" them and they never had the same light brown color anymore, but they are still good boots.

I'm sure that others will have better solutions, but it worked for me!

thanks. No one else commented so you must be right. I just worry about how to protect the waterproofing in the boots as I do recall we were to never polish them or it would ruin them and their waterproofing built in.

I had some Matterhorns but I prefer the modern Rockies I have for really cold weather.

Use some Pecard oil to get the leather back in shape. Saddle soap will tend to dry the leather out.

Clean them really well, saddle soap is okay for this, then rinse them to get the saddle soap back out. Good cleaning is essential.

Rub in some good leather conditioner or something like neatsfoot oil.

I reconditioned a seventy year old baseball glove for my wife's great uncle a few years ago using this process and it came back to life great. Rawhide lacing sometimes needs to be replaced, and organic threads sometimes break down but if the leather hasn't been attacked too badly by one or another of the parasites it will usually revive. :)

I think that you'll find LEXOL conditioner and LEXOL cleaner to be just about the best stuff out there now days.

http://www.google.de/search?q=lexol+leathe...ved=0CE4QqwQwBg

Archived