SASS Wire Forum

Tombstone is back in the News today

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875

The Earp Brothers of Tombstone, was published in 1960 almost thirty years after Frank Waters began his collaboration with Virgil Earp’s widow, Allie. The original 1934 version was called Tombstone Travesty, and there are stark between the two. The original manuscript is part of the collection of the Center for Southwest Research and is in the public domain.

Frank Waters was a very talented writer which is evident in the first part of the book where he relates the simple story the feisty pioneer woman that Allie was. But when we come to the second part of the book where he attacks the Earps, especially Wyatt, we now know that he ignored the primary record, choosing instead to use mostly tertiary and hearsay material with limited amounts of secondary material. So, instead of relying on primary material such as George Parson’s journals, which were a collection of daily entries and historically recognized and other accepted unbiased material such as ledgers and records from Wells Fargo and Official Town Council documents, Waters chose to use remembrances of very biased individuals who didn’t like those “Dam Yankee Republicans” who were such tough sons of bitches. He even quoted other dubious individuals such as Frank King, Franklin Reynolds and Pink Simms, who weren’t even there.

Because of Waters reputation as a writer, many of his supporters never bothered to look at the paper trail to support his allegations. Waters was committed to debunking Stuart Lake’s biography of Wyatt Earp. Consequently, when he presented the finished manuscript to Allie for review, she denounced it as a “pack of lies,” and refused him permission to publish it, and threatened to sue him if he did. Waters must have believed her because he waited more than a decade after she died in 1949 to publish the book.

While the Earps were certainly no angels, they were certainly the right men for the time

~:Wylie:~

Try as I may I have never been able to figure what the Clantons and McLaury's did that made them the "bad" guys other than politics.

It isn't that hard of a concept to grasp. They threatened PUBLICLY to kill Doc Holliday and the Earps. It was a feud. Power, politics, money, women (Wyatt vs. Behan). Lots of issues going on behind the scenes, but the public threatening of the lives of one party by another pretty much set it all in motion.

There were lots of Mexican cattle being run through Tombstone. I believe I remember one source who stated the Clantons or the McLaurys or both had "magical" herds that reproduced faster than nature allowed. Ike's later life and death near Springerville, AT, provides me with enough information that the Clantons were not the saints you purport them to be.

Steeldust Dan

"I think there's always going to be random acts"

"We don't need any more restrictions on society"

"If we live in a country like The United States where we are free'er than anywhere else, we are subject to things like this happening, and I think that's the price we have to pay"

John Green, January 9, 2011, speaking on the death of his daughter, Christina, in Tucson last week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...p;v=Rj47lB1a-0Y

These words of freedom and independence are worthy of being printed alongside those of Thomas Jefferson.

God Bless, Mr. Green.

What does rustled beef taste like anyway?

The Mexicans stole cattle from the United States and the Clantons and McLaurys stole them back. (Remember the beginning of Lonesome Dove). They then sold the cattle to supply beef to the workforce of Tombstone. I wondered how many folk questioned if their meat was rustled before enjoying their steak?

The Earps were outsiders who came only to make their fortune through gambling, prostitution, mining interests and failed run for sheriff. One could argue how honest their Faro tables were, how their whores felt about being pimped out and how miners felt about losing their mining claims to gamblers. Maybe with enough whiskey and good looking enough whore they didn't mind too much. :blush:

Both factions supplied illegal services to the community. Care to guess which one wives complained about?

Also Wyatt did not have a reputation as a honest man. He was fired as a policeman in Wichita for failing to turn in fines he collected from postitution and when living in Hays City for being "up to some dishonest trick every time he gambled."

As for threats being made don't overlook Virgil pistol whipping Ike Clanton and Wyatt pistol whipping a unarmed Tom McLaury and threatening him.

Back in the day, there often wasn't a whole lot of difference between the lawmen and the thugs the townfolk didn't want around. The lawmen were the thugs hired by the townfolk to deal with those the townies saw as worse thugs. A bit oversimplified, but a lot of truth in it too.

It isn't that hard of a concept to grasp. They threatened PUBLICLY to kill Doc Holliday and the Earps. It was a feud. Power, politics, money, women (Wyatt vs. Behan). Lots of issues going on behind the scenes, but the public threatening of the lives of one party by another pretty much set it all in motion.

There were lots of Mexican cattle being run through Tombstone. I believe I remember one source who stated the Clantons or the McLaurys or both had "magical" herds that reproduced faster than nature allowed. Ike's later life and death near Springerville, AT, provides me with enough information that the Clantons were not the saints you purport them to be.

Steeldust Dan

county verses the the city,still goin on. I bet the Earps liked that steak too.

if I was a 1880's miner, I would have wanted to spend my hard earned silver in a saloon,rather than be bushwacked in the dark by them cowardly lowlife's claiming to be saints and honest folk. :rolleyes:

as an side note: Wyatt was never convicted of killing anyone. :blush:

Archived