SASS Wire Forum

Tombstone is back in the News today

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875

Article talks about Earp style Gun Control in Arizona, says Earps and others in the Old West "were ardent supporters of gun control."

Even Tombstone Had Gun Laws

http://www.seattlepi.com/politico/433115_politico47366.html

Conclusion of article:

"Even the Tombstone town council of 1880 realized that some people with guns have intent to kill—and that reasonable laws could help stop them."

;)

It's against the law to posess drugs, sell automatic weapons without a permit, drive drunk, beat your wife, fight chickens and make liquor without paying taxes on it. Since all these laws are working so well, I'm sure more gun control will solve all our problems and the murder rate will drop to zero..........

Guest diablo slim shootist

The Earps use to bash people over the head when they got out of line

lets bring this back. ;) would like to do that to some liberal journalists :P .

Everyone is piling on this one trying to be heard or get recognized in any way they can be it printed journalism, the various news outlets or even the blogs, & twits ( or is it tweets?). Shameless grandstanding on a tragic event. The predictable ones are calling for more gun laws as we all figured they would. As someone pointed out earlier, in a Democratic gathering, no one apparently had a discreetly carried sidearm. Our prayers to the victims and their families.

Article talks about Earp style Gun Control in Arizona, says Earps and others in the Old West "were ardent supporters of gun control."

Conclusion of article:

"Even the Tombstone town council of 1880 realized that some people with guns have intent to kill—and that reasonable laws could help stop them."

;)

Earp style of Gun Control in Arizona?

Just to be clear, the article does not actually say it was the Earps who were ardent supporters of gun control but rather “policymakers of 1880 Tombstone—and many other Western towns—were ardent supporters of gun control”

Tombstone’s Ordinance No. 9 against the carrying of deadly weapons in town was enacted by the Mayor and the Common Council on April 12, 1880. However, it accomplished little and was difficult to enforce.

Here is a copy of it as it was published in the Tombstone newspaper in 1880: Ordinance No. 9

~:Wylie:~

Interestly enough the Clantons and McLaury's were in compliance with the law as they were in the process of leaving town. The Earps used the law to settle a personal grudge and gun down two unarmed men.

Everytime somebody gets shot, some 'simpleton' out there wants to ban guns.

I don't recall any of these 'camera seekers' wanting to ban cars and child car seats after Susan Smith strapped her two little boys in and rolled the car into the lake. Of couse, she was just depressed.

..........Widder

Everyone is piling on this one trying to be heard or get recognized in any way they can be it printed journalism, the various news outlets or even the blogs, & twits ( or is it tweets?). Shameless grandstanding on a tragic event. The predictable ones are calling for more gun laws as we all figured they would. As someone pointed out earlier, in a Democratic gathering, no one apparently had a discreetly carried sidearm. Our prayers to the victims and their families.

It has been reported that the big-mouthed sheriff of Pima County Clarence Dupnik knew in advance of death threats against Rep. Giffords. It would be very interesting to find out how much he knew and why he didn't take the threats serious enough to assign protection.

As I see it, trying to control a populace in such a giant country as the USA where every second person owns a gun, or several guns, is like trying to eat soup with a fork. In a country like the UK, where there are very few guns "out there" in the first place, it makes a lot more sense, not that I totally agree with the UK's or Canada's or Australia's gun laws, but the situation and the culture is a bit different in all those countries.

There is no solution to the problem of crazy people killing with guns. It's every man for himself.

I forsee a time when there will be stricter gun laws here, but I doubt they will do much of anything to stop this kind of out of control killing.

Thanks for the link Wylie, when it comes to the history of Tombstone you are always my go to guy.

Hey Widder, have you seen this hobgoblin now has the same lawyer that represented Susan Smith and the unibomber among other infamous clients. Talk about an attention whore. Personally with her track record I'd want a better attorney.

Go West from what I've seen on Fox, one of the citizens who intervened did have his CCW on him. Guess he figured grabbing the dumbass was the better move.

Thanks for the link Wylie, when it comes to the history of Tombstone you are always my go to guy.

Hey Widder, have you seen this hobgoblin now has the same lawyer that represented Susan Smith and the unibomber among other infamous clients. Talk about an attention whore. Personally with her track record I'd want a better attorney.

Go West from what I've seen on Fox, one of the citizens who intervened did have his CCW on him. Guess he figured grabbing the dumbass was the better move.

Pony From the interview I saw of him,he was in line in the Safeway store when he heard the shooting. He ran out and when he got there to people already were on top of said hobgoblin.Had he been on the scene,it may have turned out differently. Adios Sgt. Jake

History is always subject to interpretation and the biases of the interpreter. Early gun laws (such as the Sullivan Law) were put in place to help enable one political power to retain political power. If you can issue carry permits to YOUR buddies and deny them to the opposition................ (Or, to the Irish, etc.)

Interestingly, similar reasoning applied to other weapons laws. In California, Hispanics often carried dirks or daggers, while more affluent Whites could afford firearms. Therefore, carrying a concealed pistol could be considered a felony or a misdemeanor but carrying a dagger was a felony.

The article is.....lame.

IMHO...an armed society is a polite society :P (with a few exceptions to wacko's - off which no'control' of anything will contain them)

GG ~ ;)

My friend Harry (an Italian) chose to become a Highlander many years ago. Harry says:

"Gentlemen should wear kilts and capes and carry swords."

Again, his meaning was "an armed society was a polite society."

Incidentally, if dueling were legal, I'd choose broadswords and do it the "Lincoln way," i.e., the duelists must stay on their side of a log. The long of arm usually get the best of the deal, and that would normally be me! ;)

People do these things because they are not normal and don’t have a place in our society. By denying that and making excuses for them and furthermore blaming the method they use to commit the act is simply a waste of time. People are lazy so he choose the “easiest” route to pull off his deranged act….that’s all. If you take guns away then the method will change but the problems won’t go away. He could have just as easily drove a car into the crowd and probably killed more people than he did with the gun…….so would we then ban cars. There are WAY too many ways to hurt people and thinking you can just ban the tools instead of addressing the problem is juvenile and should viewed as an insult your intelligence in my opinion. This media circus is just a platform for folks to push an agenda in the wake a human tragedy…..personally it makes me sick.

I'm writing a book on shootings in Tombstone.....murders, assassinations, woundings, accidental discharges, dogs, horses, snakes....and in my research I have compiled over 400 pages of newspaper stories of shootings in Tombstone. I haven't even scratched the surface yet......A man for breakfast everyday.......

As long as there are bad guys no law will stop them from doing what they want. Harsh gun laws mainly affect the good guys from being able to protect themselves from the bad guys that will have guns and bombs and what ever else they want no matter what a law says. There is no reason to punish the good guys every time a bad guys does something imo.

Interestly enough the Clantons and McLaury's were in compliance with the law as they were in the process of leaving town. The Earps used the law to settle a personal grudge and gun down two unarmed men.

Horse s**t. Both Billy Clanton and Frank McLaury were armed and fired their weapons. It is still debated as to Tom McLaury's being armed or not. The ONE "cowboy" who was verified unarmed was Ike Clanton, and he wasn't shot or shot at. Bottom line, when a badged peace officer tells you to give up your weapon- DO IT and argue about it in court. Don't insist that the officer give up his weapon (as Frank McLaury did). Don't spread your ridiculous and transparent anti-Earp propaganda here, if you please.

You never hear the authors of these type of articles mention laws like this are unconstitunal. They are all for restricting ownership of guns, but if anyone mentions a restriction on what they can print or say they are the first to bring up the 1st amendment. When one of the 10 fall the other 9 wont be far behind. The 2nd is first on the list because it is easier to control a unarmed society.

As long as there are bad guys no law will stop them from doing what they want. Harsh gun laws mainly affect the good guys from being able to protect themselves from the bad guys that will have guns and bombs and what ever else they want no matter what a law says. There is no reason to punish the good guys every time a bad guys does something imo.

And next we'll be wussified down to not being able to defend ourselves at all, and end up just like Britain ...

http://www.christianaction.org.za/firearmn...ceInEngland.htm

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=33945

http://reason.com/archives/2002/11/01/gun-...twisted-outcome

Good point, I was just thinkin that as I was watchin Wyatt Earp a few days ago. The Clantons and McLaury's were getting ready to leave town.

However: They were threatening the Earps with a fight and supposedly telling everyone, so they weren't actually poor innocent victims of the Earps. :blush:

Don't spread your ridiculous and transparent anti-Earp propaganda here, if you please.

Ah BAR FIGHT!!!

In this corner we have the Earps. Gamblers, cardsharks, mine owners who never dug a mine themselves, pimps and even a bigamist for good measure. Backed by their good friend and man of ill-repute the Doc Holliday. When not taking money from hard working minersand whoring out their ladies their favorite hobby is pistol whipping cowboys.

In the other corner we have the Clantons and McLaury's. Honest local ranchers well liked and regarded by the citizens of Tombstone.

And the fight begins with Virgil Earp pistol whipping Ike Clanton........

Ah BAR FIGHT!!!

In this corner we have the Earps. Gamblers, cardsharks, mine owners who never dug a mine themselves, pimps and even a bigamist for good measure. Backed by their good friend and man of ill-repute the Doc Holliday. When not taking money from hard working minersand whoring out their ladies their favorite hobby is pistol whipping cowboys.

In the other corner we have the Clantons and McLaury's. Honest local ranchers well liked and regarded by the citizens of Tombstone.

You guys have it all wrong - and so does history. The Earps, Clantons, McLaurey folks were all choir boys :FlagAm: Doc Hollday was the organ player...

GG ~ :blush:

Ah BAR FIGHT!!!

Since you failed to address the points I raised in my rebuttal to your first posting and chose instead to offer more unsupported nonsense, I conclude you really have nothing of value to add to the discussion. Goodbye.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. No reason to get testy just because your heros have warts. :)

I guess you have not read And Die in the West, Inventing Wyatt Earp, Wyatt Earp The Life Behind the Legend, Murder in Tombstone, Wyatt Earp The Missing Years and the one by Virgil Earps wife (dang it is missing for my bookcase). :blush:

Gee they are kinda dusty. Guess it is time to reread them. :D

p.s Doc Holliday really played the flute. :FlagAm:

Tsk, tsk, tsk. No reason to get testy just because your heros have warts. :FlagAm:

I guess you have not read And Die in the West, Inventing Wyatt Earp, Wyatt Earp The Life Behind the Legend, Murder in Tombstone, Wyatt Earp The Missing Years and the one by Virgil Earps wife (dang it is missing for my bookcase). :blush:

Gee they are kinda dusty. Guess it is time to reread them. :)

Sgt. Quincannon can reply for himself. That said, I doubt that he has a problem reading your comments on the Earps. Most of us are aware of their backgrounds. However, your comment that the Clantons and McLaurys as "honest ranch folk" is laughable. Why don't you quote a source concerning the life of Ike Clanton, but then, that would not support your view of the history of Tombstone.

Steeldust Dan

Tsk, tsk, tsk. No reason to get testy just because your heros have warts. :unsure:

I guess you have not read And Die in the West, Inventing Wyatt Earp, Wyatt Earp The Life Behind the Legend, Murder in Tombstone, Wyatt Earp The Missing Years and the one by Virgil Earps wife (dang it is missing for my bookcase). :FlagAm:

Gee they are kinda dusty. Guess it is time to reread them. :FlagAm:

p.s Doc Holliday really played the flute. :rolleyes:

Actually I have owned and/or read all of those except the one by Virgil's wife. Never heard of that one. None of those books even suggest that there were two unarmed cowboys killed at the street fight near the OK Corral. They DO all relate the stock theft participated in by the McLaurys, the stage robberies committed by Stilwell, Ringo and Curley Bill, and the instances of Behan allowing an accused stagecoach robber to escape. By the way, the Earps are not particular "heroes" of mine, I'm simply interested in facts, not character assassinations. Warts are one thing, outright falsehoods are yet another. And since you STILL fail to address my rejoinder to your original post's specifics, you again confirm my conclusion that rock-throwing is your only contribution to the discussion. That's unfortunate, but not unexpected, at this point. Please feel free to ignore this response, unless you have a grown-up contribution to make.

Conclusion of article:

:FlagAm:

Just goes to show you that the people we're dealing with ain't rocket scientists. (Bottle rockets maybe, but I'm betting they'd either loose a few fingers or set themselves on fire) :rolleyes:

The senseless violence of one deranged individual; if he had used a car or a bow and arrow, would these people be yapping about banning them? The ONLY thing gun bans do is affect the law abiding, not criminals. But I spect y'all knew that. :unsure:

Actually the Earps and Doc Holiday were also suspects in a stage coach robbery and Stilwell, Ringo and Curley Bill weren't at OK Corral so why bring them up?

Oh since you want facts how about the McLaury and Clanton funeral consisted of two hearses, one valued at over $8,000,the three best caskets in Tombstone, a brass band, 300 pedestrains, 22 carriages and buggies, a four horse stage and a large number of horsemen. I'd say that puts them as highly regarded citizens.

What part of the Earps being gamblers, cardsharks, mine owners who never dug a mine themselves, pimps and even a bigamist for good measure do you disagree with?

I was watching a piece the other night on Wyatt Earp and the narrator said that the Tombstone "gun control" practiced by the Earps was to require non-townsfolk to check their guns, implying that locals did not have to do so. Don't know if this was true or not; when it comes to the Earps fact is sometimes pretty hard to determine.

SQQ

Actually I have owned and/or read all of those except the one by Virgil's wife. Never heard of that one.

The Earp Brothers of Tombstone by Frank Waters. Supposed to be Allie Earp's recollections. Very anti-Wyatt.

I'm writing a book on shootings in Tombstone.....murders, assassinations, woundings, accidental discharges, dogs, horses, snakes....and in my research I have compiled over 400 pages of newspaper stories of shootings in Tombstone. I haven't even scratched the surface yet......A man for breakfast everyday.......

I'll take a copy when ready

Archived