SASS Wire Forum

More 1911 Questions

Abilene Slim SASS 81783

I found what appears to be a lightly used 1911 Colt Series 80 Govt. model for sale the other day. Serial #2827XXX if that helps identify when it was made. The long and short of it is I can buy this gun for about the same price as a new Springfield Mil Spec or Remington 1911. I've held the new Remington and boy does it feel smooth and precise.

What matters to me most is long term reliability and durability. Resale really isn't an issue for me as my gun collection is meager and I tend to hang onto things forever. Are there tangible differences between the various guns? Is a lightly used Colt better than a new Mil Spec or Remington?

Thanks in advance for your input.

I'd buy the Colt. The new guns drop in value plus the Springfield milspec has a funky ILS system that is a detriment to the trigger pull. I don't know anything about the Remington's except they just came out. Colts are as good as they come in 1911's. Whatever you buy new at the same price point will be worth less than the Colt in the long run and will not work any better.

Not to be argumentative, but the Colt you talked about the other day was $799. A new Springfield Mil Spec runs about $500, not sure on the Remington. In this scenario I would jump all over the Springfield, I feel it is a better pistol overall.

When it comes to long term reliability and durability, the better made and even some of the more "budget" guns will last longer than you will. Pick one you like and go play with it.

Guns are only worth what someone is willing to pay. Regardless of manufacture, you can usually get out what you put in.

Coffinmaker

Guest diablo slim shootist

Hey Slim this was what our old pard Wolf Bane Said:

When Michael Bane picked up the Remington 1911 R1 for the first time, it felt like an old friend. One thing he has said repeatedly is that 1911s have the ability to be more than the sum of their parts. He has built 1911s from parts, and while they all launched bullets, none of them were what he thinks of as keepers. His Heinie Springfield or the Wilson Master Grade or the C&S guns feel like an extension of his hand — just point and click and all the bullets go right where you want them. the Remington R1 felt that way. ;)

Not to be argumentative, but the Colt you talked about the other day was $799. A new Springfield Mil Spec runs about $500, not sure on the Remington. In this scenario I would jump all over the Springfield, I feel it is a better pistol overall.

It's $719, but I misspoke and said $709 yesterday. I've never seen a new Mil Spec for $500. The last best price I got was closer to $600. The Remington lists new at Bass Pro for $679 and I'm sure that can be had for less elsewhere. I can dicker a bit for the Colt, so in the end the cost difference between the three guns will be less than $100. Hence my dilemma...

Thanks Diablo and Coffinmaker, good points -- which is what makes a decision kinda hard, but fun too. ;)

The Colt Series 80 has the extra safety fireing pin plunger. You have to pull the trigger to fire. I don't know about the Remington but the Springfield is like a series 70 without the plunger safety. They are like the original 1911's and are easier to completely strip down for cleaning. That little extra plunger and its other parts are a little difficult to reassemble if you aren't familiar with them.

The Remmie is 80, and smoother than our Springfield. I like the Remmington R1 by far.

I don't know about the resale value, but I've had a Springfield 1911 for over ten years now, not the mil spec, a TRP. It's still going strong, no ftf or stovepipes. The magazines are a big deal,whatever you end up choosing. I' m not willing to pay the premium for the colt name myself, though I probably would if money was no issue.

I found what appears to be a lightly used 1911 Colt Series 80 Govt. model for sale the other day. Serial #2827XXX if that helps identify when it was made. The long and short of it is I can buy this gun for about the same price as a new Springfield Mil Spec or Remington 1911. I've held the new Remington and boy does it feel smooth and precise.

What matters to me most is long term reliability and durability. Resale really isn't an issue for me as my gun collection is meager and I tend to hang onto things forever. Are there tangible differences between the various guns? Is a lightly used Colt better than a new Mil Spec or Remington?

Thanks in advance for your input.

You may someday ask why you own a 1911 and whether you should keep it or sell it. It could happen.

But, if you have any of the brands listed earlier - of them all the Colt is the only one you will never have to say, "It's just like the Colt".

The Colt will always be a Colt, and to many that means: original and best. Irrespective as to whether that is true or not - it

will always mean that to a lot of folks.

They will probably all last for 100K rounds of ball or lead equivalent, with only minor part replacement over time.

That design with the low pressure round it fires will just go forever.

If one of them satisfies you in some way that the others don't - then buy that gun - because you're buying it for yourself - not for

me or anyone else here at the fire. I'd buy the Colt - I love Colts, and have shot them for over 35 years now - as well as others.

You're not buying it for me - so forget that.

Enjoy shooting what is considered by many of us as the only gun fit to replace the SAA in the holster of any serious shootist.

Shadow Catcher

Hey Slim

I have the Series 80 that I bought at Cabela's, and have shot the other pistols mentioned at our range. The only difference I have felt on both of them was the trigger. I have to say that the trigger on my Colt is much better, but I am sure the others can be easily fixed. Like you, I don't really care about re-sale value at this time, and doubt I will ever care. I bought the Colt because I have Uberti Winchesters, Ruger and Cimarron Colt SAA, and wanted the real thing!

Howdy

The Series 80 Colt does have an extra safety device built into the trigger mechanism. It is designed to prevent accidental discharges if the pistol is dropped on the hammer with a live round in the chamber. A vertical spring loaded plunger prevents the firing pin from moving forward. When the trigger is depressed a lever pushes the plunger up, compressing the spring, allowing the firing pin to move forward. The original 1911 mechanism did not include this device.

Some 1911 purists don't like the Series 80 because the plunger system is not original to the design. Some don't like the trigger pull it creates. I have two Series 80 Colts, a standard 1911 and an Officer's model. I do not own any other 1911s to compare them to. I do like my Series 80 Colts just fine though.

I have no experience with the other brands.

I've been shootin 1911's for over 30 years now, and the only difference I've seen with the series 80 is the trigger, which I don't like. BTW, in the 10+ years I've had my Springfield I've never once said it's just like a Colt. It hits where I aim and fires when I pull the trigger and that's all I care about.

Archived