SASS Wire Forum

Remember my 1894 CBC odyssey?

Three Foot Johnson

Well, I received the rifle back from Remington today, after a bit over three months, with a note stating, "Cannot repair, please return as received". Well, that's a bummer, BUT... they billed my credit card for the $221 written estimate they sent me, and returned the rifle without the breach bolt! WTH? Now it appears I have a $721 parts gun. To say I'm a little upset at this point would be an understatement.

Unrepairable my arse, this thing worked when I sent it in, but the bolt had been repaired sometime in the past and it had an occasional failure to eject. The thing works fine with the bolts out of my 1894C .357's.

I'm sure they will reverse charges on my credit card, seeing as how they didn't repair or replace anything, and I've proven to myself that a plain Jane 1894C bolt works just fine, so I don't know if I want to wait a few months or more and find one on the auction sites or Numrich or whatever, or just put it on gunbroker and get what I can for it.

They told me on their written estimate that any parts swapped out wouldn't be returned, but they never swapped the bolt out, or any other parts for that matter, but they kept my bolt. The repair form says, "Returned as received", and I'm pretty damn sure there was a breach bolt in it when I sent it to them over three months ago. I bet a dollar to a dog biscuit that I can mill out a workable replacement in a few hours, but of course they didn't return any of the bolt components either; firing pin, firing pin extension, leaf spring, roll pins, extractor, etc.

See if you can find out the name of the ceo.

Write him a letter.

Expalin what happened and the time frame.

Ask him if he could help you at least get your parts back.

If you get all the parts perhaps one of the gunsmiths could

get it up and running fer ya.

Rusty Marlin comes to mind, there are several others.

Best

CR

• 2 weeks later...

I got my bolt back today... my stripped bolt...

... missing the front & rear firing pins, firing pin leaf spring, extractor & spring, and three roll pins. :rolleyes:

We're getting closer though...

... missing the front & rear firing pins, firing pin leaf spring, extractor & spring, and three roll pins. :rolleyes:

What was wrong with the rifle to begin with? At least now all the parts you need you can order from multiple locations.

I've got all those parts. If you need 'em, I'll give 'em to ya. Just let me know.

Unrepairable my arse, this thing worked when I sent it in, but the bolt had been repaired sometime in the past and it had an occasional failure to eject.

That's the key right there. As I'm sure their lawyers have studied the same CYA manuals as Colt's had... In 1988 I returned a 3rd gen gun that had a one-side unrifled, (yet groove diameter) portion in the barrel to have the barrel swapped out along the cylinder as it had 2 out of spec chambers in the cylinder . They removed my Bob Munden mainspring, wire trigger/bolt spring, removed the out of spec cylinder and sent me the gun and un-reinstalled parts after phoning me that it would cost me approximately $400 in factory stock parts and labor to return the gun to factory specs, but they would install the new cylinder and barrel free-of-charge, but it had to be done in conjunction with returning the springs and trigger to "stock". At least I got the courtesy of a phone call. They refused to replace the out-of-spec cylinder and defective barrel on a gun with modified parts in it. For stated two reasons, 1st and foremost was the "safety" and liability issue with the modified parts... 2nd, and primarily, was the fact that the barrel was cut from the factory 7-½" to 4-¾", and not a replacement barrel. The phrase they used was the gun had undergone "...unauthorized repairs and modifications." So, I re-installed my parts, bought a new, old-stock 2nd gen cylinder had it bored to to spec and left the barrel alone. The "defect" in the barrel was annoying, but it sure didn't seem to affect accuracy. I was only interested in getting it replaced as the cylinder was clearly out of spec., and they'd agreed to examine and replace both the barrel & the cylinder free of charge if they found it out of spec. They did, but, due to the other work that'd been done they weren't willing to pony up the new cylinder and work on a modified gun.

I'd give their warranty department a call and ask if they'd mic'd the frame and determined it to be in spec. If so, and it is, buy ya a new Bolt and fergetaboutit! The advice to write a letter to the CEO is also valid. Make it a hard copy, snail mail type letter, cc your favorite shyster enclose copies of all correspondence (including a note to yourself detailing your conversation with the warranty department about their findings and actual measurements of the receiver and what caused the label "unrepairable" to be applied, and ask for three things: 1 - to have YOUR gun repaired properly and returned free of charge or, 2 - a new replacement rifle of the same model and, 3 - regardless of 1 or 2, your credit charges reversed.

The most important part is that "cc: Dewey, Cheatum & Howe, Esqrs. I didn't do that in the case of my Colt, but I did in onother similar instance, and received full and prompt attention and satisfaction. I did let the lawyer know what was going on, and he agreed to make a file but, no charges would be needed on his part unless he had to take any followup action. Great guy!

Hey Doc, I'll take ya up on that - PM sent.

J- if the deal with Doc falls through, which I doubt it will, let me know, I think I have everything you need. For sure the roll pins and firing pin parts. Free just get me your mailing address. Might have some others you need too.

Archived