SASS Wire Forum

Naval Aviation Museum, Pensacola

That's a great museum. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit there.

Any folks like aviation stuff check out

http://www.x-aviation.com/catalog and

http://www.x-plane.com

my nephew does those,flight sims,he started with x-plane and now does the other he creates the plug ins.

I live close to the Air Force Museum and love visiting there. I need to make the trek to Pensacola one day when visiting Florida, it seems. Great pics!

The 12th picture down is a Curtiss Flying Boat. Formerly owned by George Waltman. While he worked rebuilding the aircraft, I rebuilt the Hispano-Suiza V-8 liquid cooled engine. Many parts for this monster engine (720+ cubic inches) were, surprisingly, still available. Many, however, had to be fabricated.

George was very meticulous in restoring his antique and race cars and this carried over to the aircraft. If a bold or clevis pin was removed, it was tagged as to where it came from so it would go back to the same place. Manyh parts were upgraded to modern material.

Instrumentation in the aircraft was minimal at best. Aside from th normal engine guages there was a magnetic compass and a turn and bank indicator. No radio or other electronic gizmos.

When we flew it was old fashioned IFR. I follow roads. or railroads as the case may be. A road map was the basic navigation tool.

When the Navy bought the plane we offered to fly it from Long Island to Pensacola. For reasons unknown to George, the turned him down. The wings were removed and it was trucked down on a flat-bed. A shame. It would have been a fun trip.

The 12th picture down is a Curtiss Flying Boat. Formerly owned by George Waltman. While he worked rebuilding the aircraft, I rebuilt the Hispano-Suiza V-8 liquid cooled engine. Many parts for this monster engine (720+ cubic inches) were, surprisingly, still available. Many, however, had to be fabricated.

George was very meticulous in restoring his antique and race cars and this carried over to the aircraft. If a bold or clevis pin was removed, it was tagged as to where it came from so it would go back to the same place. Manyh parts were upgraded to modern material.

Instrumentation in the aircraft was minimal at best. Aside from th normal engine guages there was a magnetic compass and a turn and bank indicator. No radio or other electronic gizmos.

When we flew it was old fashioned IFR. I follow roads. or railroads as the case may be. A road map was the basic navigation tool.

When the Navy bought the plane we offered to fly it from Long Island to Pensacola. For reasons unknown to George, the turned him down. The wings were removed and it was trucked down on a flat-bed. A shame. It would have been a fun trip.

Wow, great story!

Wonderful tour...many thanks.

Curious...are these cosmetic restorations, or are these full mechanicals, restoring the planes to functional condition?

If you ever feel inclined to put together a short ID or description of the planes, it would be a great read with the images....

LL

Great pic's, thanks for sharing. I would like to see them in person as well. :blush:

What is #57? Does it fit underneath a plane or wing?

Safe trails,

CKid

It's a PBY Catalina fuselage with sections of skin removed to show the interior of the aircraft.

Wonderful tour...many thanks.

Curious...are these cosmetic restorations, or are these full mechanicals, restoring the planes to functional condition?

If you ever feel inclined to put together a short ID or description of the planes, it would be a great read with the images....

LL

Wish I could take credit for the pics, but they aren't mine -- the link was forwarded to me. I can identify most if not all of the aircraft shown, so if there are some that you're wondering about, lemme know.

As for the restoration, it's my understanding they're fully restored inside & out to the minutest detail like the ones at the Smithsonian.

It's on my "bucket list". There's an L-19/O-1 Birddog there that has a history. When Saigon fell in '75 and everyone was "gettin' out of Dodge", a VNAF Major by the name of Bung Ly flew out to the USS Midway, which was receiving LOTS of helos and because of limited deck and hangar space was tipping them over the side to make room for more evacuees. Major Ly dropped a message written on his torn shirt that he wanted to come aboard, and that in that 2-seat Birddog he had himself, his wife and their two small children. The deck crew made room and he made a "No-wire" deck landing with that fixed-wing Cessna. When the family got cleared, the Navy guys thought that what he'd done was so cool that they struck the O-1 below to the hangar deck instead of shoving it overboard, and brought it back home. It's hanging in the museum today, rstored to the Major's full markings...

Was there an SB2C in that collection? didn't notice it if there was. Believe I saw a TBD-Devastator, though( midway torpedo bomber, obsolete at the time. Shown terribly true by the Japanese)........Buck :FlagAm:

Aircraft List

Was there an SB2C in that collection? didn't notice it if there was. Believe I saw a TBD-Devastator, though( midway torpedo bomber, obsolete at the time. Shown terribly true by the Japanese)........Buck :)

I didn't notice a TBD in the photos and don't see one on the list Bob provided. Perhaps you're thinking of photo #63 or #64? (Torpedo bombers of the era look remarkably similar.) #62 is a Vought SB2U Vindicator and #64 is a Brewster SB2A Buccaneer. Like the Douglas TBD Devastator, they were obsolete when the war began. A couple of TBDs have been located under water, but to my knowledge, none have been recovered. Perhaps someone else knows their status?

TBD Devastator

Archived