SASS Wire Forum

Inexpensive Quality Loaded Cowboy Ammo

The Original Bad Bob

Well i went to my local fun store this afternoon just to see if they even had any cowboy loads and lo and behold they had a box of 50 .44 specials for $43.00, a mere pittance they thought.

I passed on buying that.

I went to the Georgia Arms website (I have purchased all kinds of loaded ammo from them and it's top shelf stuff) and they have an entire cowboy section of very reasonably priced loaded ammo. Just wanted to share. Their prices are about 50% of what I have seen elsewhere, because they use once fired brass, and because that's just how they are.

http://georgia-arms.com/cowboyloads-sass-1.aspx

Well did ya ask the local shop about their price? Usually local shops can be very competitive on price.

Hope your local shop stays in biz...you'll miss 'em when they're gone cuz everyone started shopping on-line.

;)

You might check the shooting ranges in your area. Sometimes they have reloaded ammo for sale. That's what I did for awhile after I got started. It was a lot cheaper than buying it new.

Eventually you should look into reloading. Not hard to do and saves a bunch of money.

Believe me I'd roll my own if I could. No space for it except the garage and I don't really want all that expensive and explosive stuff out there. I live in Florida and the garage is no fun in June, July, August, and September. It's not a place you want to spend your afternoon.

Phantom I fully support my local shops, trust me, they have gotten thousands of my $$ over the years. These guys are not going under any time soon.

http://www.shoot-straight.com/

Well i went to my local fun store this afternoon just to see if they even had any cowboy loads and lo and behold they had a box of 50 .44 specials for $43.00, a mere pittance they thought.

I passed on buying that.

I went to the Georgia Arms website (I have purchased all kinds of loaded ammo from them and it's top shelf stuff) and they have an entire cowboy section of very reasonably priced loaded ammo. Just wanted to share. Their prices are about 50% of what I have seen elsewhere, because they use once fired brass, and because that's just how they are.

http://georgia-arms.com/cowboyloads-sass-1.aspx

Georgia Arms also has good prices on cast bullets. I buy from them at a our local gun shows and it saves the shipping.

Believe me I'd roll my own if I could. No space for it except the garage and I don't really want all that expensive and explosive stuff out there. I live in Florida and the garage is no fun in June, July, August, and September. It's not a place you want to spend your afternoon.

Phantom I fully support my local shops, trust me, they have gotten thousands of my $$ over the years. These guys are not going under any time soon.

http://www.shoot-straight.com/

Bad Bob

Ask around at the next shoot you go to. I found a Pard that rolled for me (yes, I paid him) until I was able to set myself up (in the garage in Florida).

Yer right, it ain't no fun but Cowboy shootin sure is. So during those beastly days I just think of all the fun I'm gonna have shootin' with my friends.

I actually got so hot and humid out there this last summer that the powder wouldn't drop into the shells, but that's another story.

Ride easy,

Waimea

;)

"Inexpensive Quality Loaded Cowboy Ammo"

WOW!! "Inexpensive" and "Quality". Two fairy tale names used in the same sentence. Ha Ha. These days "Inexpensive" and "Quality" are almost non existent items. :wacko:;):FlagAm:

I picked up a .38WCF 1892 in November and needed brass. Georgia Arms typically uses Starlines brass (the best for the WCF rounds). The 200 Cowboy loads I bought gave me a benchmark on recoil and accuracy. Now I have added the round to the others that I have relaoded for 20+ years. The Gerogia Arms laods were $.60 each; reloads are $.13 each.

Like many others, I started reloading in an apartment. A Lee hand press, dies, spoons and manual brass cleaning can be done for under $100. I loaded about 75 rounds per hour but never had a dud or major problem. Everything fits into a small plastic bin. Payback is around 500 rounds for cowboy loads.

It does not require a Super XXXX loader for the price of a used truck to be able to load consistent, accurate cartridges that represent enough savings to allow me more practice. Now, if I could only find the daylight to be at the range.

An ebay purchased Lee press and a piece of plywood will allow you to load at your kitchen table. Mount the press to the plywood, put a piece of cardboard between the plywood and the table and c clamp it in place. Some Lees on ebay right now for <>$20.

Inexpensive Quality

Howdy

I have a friend who retired from running his own consulting business a few years ago. He used to keep a plaque on his desk where customers could see it. It said 'Quality, Price, Delivery, choose any two'.

Yeah, last time I bought 45 Colt it was running between $18.50 to $22.00 for a box of fifty. But that was a long time ago.

Heck coffee here just went up by a dollar a pound for the stuff i get.Guess i'll have to go back to Whiskey :blush:

I bought a lot of Georgia Arms ammo when I first started shooting CAS. Now I buy my components in bulk and I can reload for about 1/3 of what they charge for reloads. I doesn't take long to pay for a good press at that rate.

AmmoDirect had a catastrophic failure just recently. There is another thread on here about it. Nice people to work with. We are going to miss them. Hopefully, they will recover. Baddog N.

Archived