SASS Wire Forum

"Arrest Sitting Bull" --- book for sale

Howdy, have a nice book for sale.

"Arrest Sitting Bull"

a novel by Douglas C. Jones

"Once again Douglas C. Jones recreates with consummate skill a tumultuous episode in the white man's war against the Indian. Arrest Sitting Bull is a spine-chilling novel of death and deception, of misunderstanding and bureaucratic bungling, of attempts at conciliation and of burning hatred - all of which combine to sow the seeds of disaster.

It is December 1890. The ghost dance, the frenzied invocation of the Messiah who will help the Indians to destroy the white man, has swept through the Teton Sioux reservations of the Dakotas, creating panic among white ranchers and farmers nearby. On two of the South Dakota reservations, inept management by politically appointed agents has created a state of anarchy. But at the agency in North Dakota - Standing Rock - there is potentially the most explosive situation of all. It is near here that old Sitting Bull has established a dance camp and has drawn about him many fanatic followers.

Tensions continueto riseas agent James McLaughlin, called Father Whitehair by the Indians, struggles to prevent the inevitable explosion; Standing Elk, McLaughlin's most trusted Indian policeman, realizes that hi is not "quite ready to be a white man"; Willa Mae Favory, agency schoolteacher, tentatively reaches out to Standing Elk for the love she never had; and Sitting Bull himself, in his camp some distance away, remains implacable. He must be stopped.

The order goes out: Arrest Sitting Bull. And the confrontation comes, more dreadful than any had feared."

copyright 1977

6 3/8" x 9 3/8" tall

249 pages

book is in near excellent condition

dust jacket is also very good with some light shelf wear

clear mylar jacket protector

$15.00 shipped to you(media rate) in the U.S.A.

SOLD to Quick Draw Granpaw

Please post here on the wire if you are interested or need more info.

Thanks for look'n.

Mr. Poverty....wrap it up, please. Money will be on the way when you say O.K.!

Thanks again Bill...Hope you had a great holiday season pard....

Happy trails

QDG ;)

The late Mr. Jones is one of my favorite authors. May I offer couple of his works as suggestions for those who like a good Western read? "Season of Yellow Leaf" and "Gone the Dreams and Dancing" deal with the Comanche tribe and the passing of their domination of the southern plains. "The Search for Tempest Moon", "Winding Stair" and "Weedy Rough" relate the story of a deputy U.S. Marshal and a prosecuting attorney of Judge Issac Parker's Court in Ft. Smith, Arkansas during the passing of the Frontier Era. All of these books, along with everything I've read by Jones, are high quality works- not Westerns per se, but fine, very well written novels set in the West. Wish I'd seen this posting sooner- this book would be mine!

The late Mr. Jones is one of my favorite authors. May I offer couple of his works as suggestions for those who like a good Western read? "Season of Yellow Leaf" and "Gone the Dreams and Dancing" deal with the Comanche tribe and the passing of their domination of the southern plains. "The Search for Tempest Moon", "Winding Stair" and "Weedy Rough" relate the story of a deputy U.S. Marshal and a prosecuting attorney of Judge Issac Parker's Court in Ft. Smith, Arkansas during the passing of the Frontier Era. All of these books, along with everything I've read by Jones, are high quality works- not Westerns per se, but fine, very well written novels set in the West. Wish I'd seen this posting sooner- this book would be mine!

Howdy Sarge, thanks for the heads up. Sound very interesting. I don't have a favorite author, but if it's

about western history I try to read it.

Thanks again.

QDG 48525

Archived