SASS Wire Forum

Getting Started Questions

The Original Bad Bob

Howdy I'm not a SASS member yet, just trying to find out some more about it. Sounds like a lot of fun.

All I have now is a Ruger Vaquero (.357/.38) and one holster and belt. I also have a Rossi '92 .44 magnum, but it's the shorty (16") so it only holds 8 rounds.

One question I have is this: could I use that rifle and just load two more rounds after I shot the first few, or do I have to have a rifle that holds 10?

Which leads to the next question, what rifle would you recommend? I'm poor, so I like Rossis!

What shotgun? Any recomendations for that?

And I have read that I need two revolvers, so I would need a second Vaquero and holster, correct?

If you haven't found it yet, check out the shooters handbook.

Yes, you can use your Rossi and load two on the clock for stages requiring 10 rifle.

Best advice is to go out to some local matches, folks are most always willing to loan you what you don't yet have so you can play. Try several different shotguns and see what you like before you buy. If you contact the club before going they'll even make sure that there are extra guns and ammo for you to shoot.

One note, you'll need lead only ammo, and 44 specials would be better than the magnums, remember, we're shooting steel that is pretty close, don't want to damage the targets or have un-necessary back splatter.

Hang on and enjoy the ride, it's a hoot!

Grizz

Thanks Grizz! That's helpful. I really like my little Rossi and wanted to use it, but I was told I couldn't by someone because of the 10 round requirement.

I plan to go to a local shoot at my club and just spend a couple hours watching before I play.

I suppose I can join online here and I will get a membership card in the mail that I take with me when I'm ready to shoot?

And yes... I would have to get some lead .44 specials and lead .38 specials too. I assume they are available online too at most big ammo dealers, and I could also just use wadcutters.

Hi Bob,

Yes, you can use your rifle and load two "on the clock." Yes, you will need another pistol and holster. You've got a good pistol. It is cheaper to get ammo for than '45s... and RVs have a reputation for dependability.

So many things come down to personal preference, which category you want to shoot, and your goals for competition.

The SASS Shooters Handbook, tab is at the top of this page, has the details on categories and legal guns. Different categories have different gun requirements. The only shotguns that can be shot in every category are the hammered double and Model '87 lever gun. However, they may not be as competitive in some categories. I like the '97 pump and sometimes use the '87.

You will not be competitive loading two in your rifle on the clock. So, eventually, you may want to replace that rifle. I'd wait and get a feel for the different categories and your preferences before making that move. Folks will let you try their guns. The main camps are Marlin versus '66 or '73. In the meantime you can shoot an age-based category.

You will want to consider what shooting style you prefer before investing in good leather. Gunfighter (two guns out, one in each hand) require a double strong side holster. Either right or left hand duelist (one gun at a time with both guns shot from the same hand) require a cross draw. Two-handed grip can use either cross draw or double strong side...

I'm sure others will be along. The best advice is to go to a match and talk to the folks and try their guns.

Happy Shooting!

Allie Mo

PS You do not need to be a SASS member to shoot many clubs. However, I have heard that some require it after a set period of time. Many clubs will want you to go through an orientation before your first match. I'd call or email the local club's contact for more information. See the Affiliated Clubs tab at the top of the page.

Thanks Grizz! That's helpful. I really like my little Rossi and wanted to use it, but I was told I couldn't by someone because of the 10 round requirement.

I plan to go to a local shoot at my club and just spend a couple hours watching before I play.

I suppose I can join online here and I will get a membership card in the mail that I take with me when I'm ready to shoot?

And yes... I would have to get some lead .44 specials and lead .38 specials too. I assume they are available online too at most big ammo retailers.

You can sign up for SASS membership right here....see the SASS Mercantile tab at top.

Your Rossi may actually hold 9 or 10 of .44 spl rounds (they are shorter than .44 mag rounds), so you might just "squeak by" without having to reload while shooting a stage.

Lead-bullet ammo availability is pretty low, as most manufacturers concentrate on high-profit, hot loaded jacketed ammo. Several produce lead-bullet loads, you have to hunt for them. Ten-X is a good supplier to check out. Local stores may not carry it, but Ten-X can ship right to your house.

Ten-X ammo

They can even reload your brass for you at a cost savings, so keep all your used brass!

Or, you can check at local matches for pards who can tell you where they get their ammo. Many of us reload, some get ammo from other pards who load, some buy new ammo, it just depends upon what you need and want to spend either time or money on.

Going to a match or two and asking lots of questions (take what guns you have, too, and folks will probably fill in the gaps and have you shooting before the end of the day) is the BEST thing you can do right now!

Save buying a shotgun until you hit a local match or two. Shotgun is the gun selection that is highly opinionated, because there is no single shotgun that stands out as "perfect for SASS", especially no newly-built shotgun. And shotgun choice is driven by what category you want to shoot in, so you might just start paying attention to the categories that pards shoot in at your local shoots.

Good luck, GJ

Howdy

I second everything that Allie Mo said. There is no requirement on how many rounds your rifle must hold. These days though it is pretty standard to encounter scenarios that requires ten rounds to be fired from your rifle. However, to get started and avoid extra expense, by all means use your Rossi. I agree that you will probably get tired after a while of loading one or two rounds on the clock. Even if you don't want to be competitive, it will probably eventually become tiresome. By then you may have a better idea of what you want to replace it with. You may also want to buy a rifle chambered for the same caliber as your pistols, but again it is not required. Again, not required, but it does tend to simplify things. By the way, when I first started we used to sometimes encounter scenarios that called for twelve rounds out of the rifle. That used to put a lot of guys with carbines at a disadvantage so it doesn't happen much anymore.

Yup, you will need a second pistol. You will hear that some clubs will let you shoot with just one, but just about anyplace you go this has been a two pistol sport for a long time. So you might want to buy a second Vaquero while you are using your Rossi for a while.

I have no recommendation on shotguns, I have a bunch of old Stevens SXS shotguns, but not everybody likes them.

Howdy Again

As long as you stay out of the 'costume categories' such as Classic or B Western, you don't have to spend much money. A pair of jeans is perfectly legal. You really don't even have to wear a hat or cowboy boots if you don't want to. The first match I attended I wore jeans, a Sears workshirt, regular belt to hold my pants up, and a pair of old Frye boots that I had had for years. I did invest about $30 in a cheap cowboy hat. Perfectly legal.

Just about the only things that are forbidden are T shirts, sneakers, and ball caps. And those crazy cowboy hats that race car drivers sometimes wear that look like they ran into a pheasant at 100 mph.

One more question before I go read the handbook (LOL) what about clothes? Do I need to invest in some kind of period attire, or can I put something together out of what I probably already have?

Howdy OB. You can probably make do with what you have. Categories like Classic Cowboy and B-Western have specific requirements, but you don't need to worry about that just yet. Review the SASS rule book on minimum clothing requirements, go out and shoot for awhile and then you can decide how you'd like to dress.

Have fun!

EDIT: Driftwood's post beat me to it!

And those crazy cowboy hats that race car drivers sometimes wear that look like they ran into a pheasant at 100 mph.

:wub::unsure:

I wonder if that trapper could be re-worked to run with .44 russian or maybe even 44 Colt.....that would get you ten I'm thinking.

Bob be aware that most of the rifles don't like semi wadcutters. A round nose flat point bullet will serve you better.

And

WELCOME TO THE FIRE!

First...Welcome to the fire. Pull up a stump and enjoy.

Second...What everybody has failed to tell you is that all you have to do is simply go to the top of this page and click on...(Wait while I check)... "SASS Handbooks"

You can download all the rules from there. It's not complicated, but it CAN be confusing.

You're really gonna like this for a long, long time.

Cascade Charlie

A wealth of information for new guys can be found here:

Captain Baylor's Ranger Camp

Welcome to the fun!

Oops, my bad. ;)

About leather, you can use double strong side holsters to shoot duelist even when using the same hand for both guns. It's not very efficient; but, you can pull with the weak hand and transfer to the strong hand.

Thank you Marlin Buckhorn and PWB for setting me straight.

Regards,

Allie Mo

I started shooting this game using a Winchester 94 Trapper in 44 mag. It only holds 9 rounds. I got pretty good at loading 1 shot on the clock to finish a series. You may try it out, i found it easier to drop the last round into the chamber from up top than to load it into the magazine thru the side and rack the action. I tried the 44 special route, but I found that my rifle (a 94 action that not many are fond of) tended to flip the 44 special rounds up a little too far when I worked the action with vigor. The soft lead bullet would jam into the top rim of the chamber. So, i just used 44 mag (cowboy loads of course) and loaded extra rounds on the clock as necessary until I got my 92 rifle in 45 to match my sixshooters.

The most important thing is to get yourself shooting with what you got. Have fun, and you will learn more at the shoot than you will on the Wire!

Lots of great tips here. Thanks! One more question:

I have a Henry Golden Boy (.22lr) that I am considering selling to raise $$ for some of these cowboy guns. Is there any competition that I could use the Henry in; should I keep it ? Or would I have to be like 15 years old?

(I'm quite a long way from 15)

Lots of great tips here. Thanks! One more question:

I have a Henry Golden Boy (.22lr) that I am considering selling to raise $$ for some of these cowboy guns. Is there any competition that I could use the Henry in; should I keep it ? Or would I have to be like 15 years old?

(I'm quite a long way from 15)

bump

The Henry .22 is an excellent rifle for side matches (check out the Shooter's Handbook). Generally, side matches are held at larger shoots: Annuals, State, Regional, Winter Range and End of Trail. Many clubs hold side matches occasionally. I'd keep it if it is at all possible. That said, my experience has been that every gun I ever sold I regretted doing so.

Steeldust Dan

Archived