SASS Wire Forum

Tonight the hype ends -- the Ducks and Tigers collide

Now how can you say Corso wasn't a great coach? In 10 seasons at Indiana his record was 41-68-2. He averaged 4 wins and 7 loses a year. What more could you want?

Yup and he was second guessing Pat Dye (12 Seasons, 99–39–4 71.1% win rate, 4 SEC Championships and 9 bowl appearances and his teams finished in the top 10 5 times) for going for the tie in the '87 Sugar Bowl.

His snide comment about 'Pat Tie' had folks across the country sending neck ties of all types to Coach Dye.

Coach Dye, being the practical sort he is, turned around and signed all of them, so they could be sold with all the proceeds going to charity. :D;)

:D When asked about Corso and his remark, Coach Dye said something along the lines of if Corso had played for the tie more often, maybe he'd still be on the sidelines instead of being in the broadcasting booth. :lol: (Nobody ever said that Pat Dye doesn't have a mean streak.)

Oh, and War Eagle!!

Now I gotta go by Tiger Rags tomorrow and buy a new ball cap. :P

If you consider a big bite to be win by 3 with 2 seconds left... OK... ;):P:D

Vaya con Dios

Three points...even one point.. is a big bite....just ask the ducks cause they got bit in tha beak. I coulda cared less who won...just sayin.

Pretty dull defensive game, but it sure finished with a flourish!

Considerin' it was supposed to be a high scoring shootout if you were listening to the talking heads, I'm happy with the actual results. BOTH teams knew the other one was very dangerous offensively. It was going to come down to the defenses and BOTH teams' defenses just stepped up far better than the analysts gave them credit for.

What had me worried was just exactly how fast the notoriously fast Ducks were. If you believed the hype, the wings on the shoulders of their uniforms weren't duck wings, they were the wings of Mercury himself. I was concerned just how they would match up with the Tigers defense speed wise. I didn't see the smaller than the SEC norm Duck O line stopping the pass rush or establishing the running game unless it relied on its' supposed superior speed turning the corner. Come to find out, they ain't any faster than LSU or Alabama and Auburn knows how to handle folks that fast. I seriously doubted that they were going to run up the middle consistently with ANY success unless they had the Auburn D completely off balance. Nobody has been able to run up the middle consistently on Auburn successfully in the last 15 years, I really doubted it was going to change tonight.

Auburn's defense played a pretty standard SEC game. Make tackles when you make contact and FINISH the tackle every time, pressure on the QB, stuff the run, and the secondary bending but not breaking (give up yardage on big plays but not points) while taking advantage of mistakes the QB makes and getting INT's.

Three points...even one point.. is a big bite....just ask the ducks cause they got bit in tha beak. I coulda cared less who won...just sayin.

Oh they won all right... no question of that... Just out here a big bite would be something like 50-7... Maybe things are different in your neck o' the woods... Just sayin'...

Vaya con Dios

p.s. I am one of the biggest fans of the SEC on this board and didn't care who won either and the Ducks are from my home state... But let's be honest here...

Flint

Good game...but not the National Championship caliber game I thot waz gonna happen. Congrats Auburn.

I just didn't want to see a blowout one way or the other... That being said, it was a nail-biter right to the end... But there were a lot of mistakes made on both sides of the field... I found it interesting considering all the hype about "St. Cam..." You'd have thought that it would have been 100-0 according all the talking except Nick Saban in the pre-game show...

Good game and and congrats to Auburn...!!!

Vaya con Dios

I guess I got it backwards. I expected a higher score and less defense. Looks like the D fence

(Lawdy I am sick of those stupid fences and letter Ds) showed up to play. Some tough football out there last night. For those that have never played the game, it can get pretty intense in the middle of the line when you are on the one yard line. I only played high-school ball, but I ran into a few guys that didn't want to move.

The curse of the florescent yellow... :blush:

Bet they don't use those uniforms again.

Well they sure can't hide them, Bob. I can still see that yellow when I close my eyes.

I may never sleep again. :blush:

The folks that attended sure got their money's worth. Good games played by well coached teams.

I just got back from Auburn and the town is STILL celebrating.

Toomer's Corners was packed with rubberneckers and tourists (I even saw a young couple with a baby taking pictures under the oaks and at the entrance to campus there) and the traffic is backed up for a couple blocks in both directions on College St. The City of Auburn's sanitation department did a real good job cleaning up the streets, though. They got almost all of the toilet paper off the road surface. Normally after a big win, the toilet paper is so thick around there that the curb is completely hidden and you can't tell where the street ends and the sidewalks begin. They just clean up the roadway, not the trees in the area. It ain't unusual to have every tree, bush, or anything else that's stationary too long covered in toilet paper for a block or block and a half in all 4 directions. All of the bookstores and 'campus spirit' type places around down town had lines out the door.

Was a great game. I saw some amazin' defensive plays. Seems like every championship game has ONE weird play.

Yeah, three points with two seconds, (actually it was with no time remaining) is a big bite when you are playin' for a championship. If you are the one who lost it REALLY bites!

:FlagAm:WAR EAGLE!! :rolleyes:

Congrats to the Ducks!! Great team!! Ugly uniforms!!

Archived