SASS Wire Forum

Alias and Role Play

Captain Bill Burt

When I first started back in Texas, several did a great job of making up their history. Some essentially shot in character. It is a fun addition that I miss seeing more of. But it wasn't required, just fun.

I see that your ancestor lived through 4 wars and in 3 different centuries! WOW!

But I doubt that he fought in the last war (Spanish American War), so double check that.

Looking forward to seeing you at a local match!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I blended my alias with my life and some of my ancestors, including my father. My work required me to move around a lot.

My Dad moved from Arkansas to central Nebraska in a covered wagon when he was 5 years old. Since he was the oldest child, he had to walk essentially the entire trip - the wagon was for the little ones.... Amazing, huh?

I see that your ancestor lived through 4 wars and in 3 different centuries! WOW!

But I doubt that he fought in the last war (Spanish American War), so double check that.

Looking forward to seeing you at a local match!

I was a little skeptical about that one myself Marauder, (BTW good to hear from you, we're practically neighbors so I'm sure I'll see you at some matchs).

I was also a little skeptical about the War of 1812 as well since he would have only been 15. His grave in Mississippi is listed with the National Park Service and on their website they say he 'survived' those wars. So perhaps he didn't fight in all of them, although saying someone who was simply alive at the time was a 'survivor seems a little off as well. By that standard a monk in Tibet at the time could be considered a 'survivor' of any of them and thankfully I 'survived' the earthquake in Haiti as well. I've sent an email off requesting any additional information they may have. I know the Civil War cite is right because he is listed on the roll for his Company and the geography is right as well. It couldn't have been his grandson William as he would have only been a year or so old. That leaves an old coot of sixty something (no offense oldtimers) going off to fight a war he opposed originally. It may be that his grandson was in the Spanish American War and the NPS got them mixed up. :FlagAm:

My research continues, perhaps a book as well, we'll see.

Thank you for the compliment, kind sir

From the research I have done I believe you are correct in assuming that they were not the pretty gals.

Most of the girls that resorted to working in the saloons were the ones that couldn't find a man to take care of them full time (a husband)

But that doesn't make for a very fun fantasy now does it???

I chose to pretend that they were the fun girls with hearts of gold, that wanted to show every cowboy a goodtime before he rode off into the sunset.

Actually, in numerous books on the subject, I've seen a number of very attractive "soiled doves". probably they represent the top 2% of the ladies, because I've seen more photos of Hog Ranch Harpies that were decidedly unattractive.

I blended my alias with my life and some of my ancestors, including my father. My work required me to move around a lot.

My Dad moved from Arkansas to central Nebraska in a covered wagon when he was 5 years old. Since he was the oldest child, he had to walk essentially the entire trip - the wagon was for the little ones.... Amazing, huh?

No doubt, these young whippersnappers nowadays don't know how good they have it.

those days aren't as far removed from us as some think.

My grandfather was forced across the rio grande by pancho villa. His mother had to handle the wagon as his father was in england. He was five years old and walked the entire way to Utah. Not as far as some others but over country that was considerably less friendly. I asked how they managed and he always said they did what they had to do and didn't know any different. My grandmother rode her horse to school most days out in the basin. When I was young they would stay every summer up in the canyon to beat the heat, and I would often stay with them. When I was very young, 7,8,9, I could catch, saddle and ride horses. they let us ride all over the canyon. I can't imagine my kids getting on a horse that someone else saddled for them, and helped them up. Times sure change. I did get a kick out of the "new" true grit when they wake up and have slept on their saddles for a pillow. I tried that once, just once. And I slept part of a night under a horse blanket, a short part of a night. There are some things worse than being cold........ :FlagAm:

My grandfather was forced across the rio grande by pancho villa. His mother had to handle the wagon as his father was in england. He was five years old and walked the entire way to Utah. Not as far as some others but over country that was considerably less friendly. I asked how they managed and he always said they did what they had to do and didn't know any different. My grandmother rode her horse to school most days out in the basin. When I was young they would stay every summer up in the canyon to beat the heat, and I would often stay with them. When I was very young, 7,8,9, I could catch, saddle and ride horses. they let us ride all over the canyon. I can't imagine my kids getting on a horse that someone else saddled for them, and helped them up. Times sure change. I did get a kick out of the "new" true grit when they wake up and have slept on their saddles for a pillow. I tried that once, just once. And I slept part of a night under a horse blanket, a short part of a night. There are some things worse than being cold........ :blink:

Danite... great info on yer family...good to talk with other folks about family history! ;) Seems hard to find anyone in my family that cares about where we came from. :P Hope to find someone younger to keep the fire burning. Am trying also to get family history, photos,ect in a better format. Does anyone have any ideas on a good foremat.. for long term use on the puter? Do you know who has Porter Rockwell as an Alias? That thare is a real gunfighter! :):ph34r:

Danite... great info on yer family...good to talk with other folks about family history! ;) Seems hard to find anyone in my family that cares about where we came from. :P Hope to find someone younger to keep the fire burning. Am trying also to get family history, photos,ect in a better format. Does anyone have any ideas on a good foremat.. for long term use on the puter? Do you know who has Porter Rockwell as an Alias? That thare is a real gunfighter! :):blink:

Hi Colonel,

I'm not sure about the format, but I've learned the hard way to have backups to backups. Hard copy, off site storage, that sort of thing. Personally, I've got my family tree in excel, and on a website called geni, as well as a hard copy. Same with photos, though I tend to keep them off site in my email, and of course my wife likes to keep them in facebook.

Ha!

What TMM said is sure true. There are some fun characters in this sport and it's a perfect opportunity to exaggerate our quirks.

Allie Mo was a relative. I don't know anything about her other thank I think she was a great aunt. I just have her calling card. Like Complicated Lady, I enjoy wearing a variety of costumes. So, I don't stick to one persona.

Hubby, Jess Brown, took the name of his great-great grandfather, who was a shotgun messenger for Wells Fargo in addition to other things. He co-wrote a book about his and others adventures in the Black Hills.

Have fun your way!

Regards,

Allie Mo

Danite... great info on yer family...good to talk with other folks about family history! :rolleyes: Seems hard to find anyone in my family that cares about where we came from. :rolleyes: Hope to find someone younger to keep the fire burning. Am trying also to get family history, photos,ect in a better format. Does anyone have any ideas on a good foremat.. for long term use on the puter? Do you know who has Porter Rockwell as an Alias? That thare is a real gunfighter! :blush::ph34r:

I frequently shoot with Porter Rockwell. I have also seen his personal gun collection, the real Porter.... ;) Contact the Geneological Library in SLC and they can put you together with a program for geneology on the computer. LIke they say "its what they do"....... ^_^

I drew my name from the river in Virginia where I fished with my father as a boy. This is my story (fictional, but reinforced by "real" history):

My folks operated a ferry on the Chickahominy River back in Virginia. I was a boy of fourteen when Gen. Magruder's men came by our place in the spring of 1862 requesting that my father burn the ferry so the Yanks couldn't use it to get across the river. That ferry business, along with raising quality horse-flesh, was the only means my father had for feedin' Ma, my two sisters and me. But, Pa knew what had to be done. He set it to torch.

Knowin' the bluebellies were comin', Pa decided to move us into Richmond. It was as we were packin' the last of our possibles into the wagon that some men on horseback came to call. They paid Pa for the eight horses in the corral for use in Gen. Hampton's Legion. I figured that Pa could get by better without havin' me to feed as well, so I rode out with them boys on one of our own mounts. I was now a Confederate soldier.

I grew up breakin' and workin' with horses, so I was the equal of any full grown man when it came to 'em. Soon, I was attached to Gen. Hampton hisself as a dispatch rider. Accordin' to Gen. Hampton, I "made a small target for the enemy."

I survived the war, runnin' messages and fightin' the occasional skirmish. My readin' and writin' skills my Ma had taught me came in to good use. She was a school marm before meetin' Pa. I could write a message or reply down as fast as they could say it, and I could deliver it with speed.

After the war, I returned to our old home. Not much of the house, barn or corrals was left. Ma had died with the fever a short time after Chancellorsville. They buried her at St. John's Church up on the hill in Richmond. My two older sisters had married while I was away. They and their new husbands were busy tryin' to rebuild the ferry and get Pa's business back in runnin' order. There didn't seem any place for me, but I stayed on a bit to help. Pa died sittin' in the front porch rockin' chair one evenin' after supper in 1868. I gave my sisters my portion of Pa's place in exchange for three good mounts and two weeks provisions. I headed west.

I've been a stagecoach guard, punched cows, tried clerkin' in a General Store in Dallas, Texas, fought Indians and white men, too. My new-fangled cartridge pistols came off a highwayman who tried to dry gulch me north of Waco. He forgot to check inside my coat for my old '51 Navy. He wouldn't have any use for 'em anymore anyhow.

I almost always shoot in character. 'Course I perform about 30 or so shows a year as Buffalo Bill and represent the State of Nebraska at many functions as Cody so it's not that difficult for me. I know a few others from around the country that stay in character at a shoot as well, just not very many. Have fun and take care.

I frequently shoot with Porter Rockwell. I have also seen his personal gun collection, the real Porter.... :lol: Contact the Geneological Library in SLC and they can put you together with a program for geneology on the computer. LIke they say "its what they do"....... :P

:blink: Thanks folks , for the info.......ya'll take care :lol:

I feel compelled to encourage you to continue to develope and shoot in character....I know myself and several pards are talking about this fun factor and how we can put it back in the game.... even to the point of considering forming or joining an NCOWS club....we want action and fun in our Cowboy ACTION shooting.....my first suggestion is to develope a character that becomes more natural for you to stay in without too much over the top acting. Then like NCOWS, spend a little time on the accuracy of your dress and gear...even if that accuracy is B-western related...easier to stay in character then... My personal opinion IS that SASS over the years has,... due to the influence of larger number of shooters who were not encouraged to pursue this area of historical accuracy,...evolved into a sort of IPSCA with chaps and a hat....there are still some, many more than some will admit, that enjoy the old west part of the game and I encourage you to be a leader in that area and not be discouraged by the idea that some shooters are not interested in that...You seem like a nice young man and I hope you will lead by example. It is mine and a couple of other pards intention to follow and improve upon this same advise in the coming year...If I see one more shooter pitch a childish fit or worse yet tell someone shhhh...because there is too much talking going on in the posse(with their ear protection on) and it is interfering with his ability to go into some sort of transendental trance before he shoots I'm going to scream...and just continue to enjoy my game.

Thanks for the encouragement Dash. A big part of what has attracted me to CAS, is the historical element, and of course the friendliness of the people I'm meeting. I've done some competitive shooting with my 1911 Government Model, and the atmosphere is very different, at least based on those I've encountered so far. I think I will enjoy educating myself about my ancestor and the time period and then attempting to recreate that almost as much as I will enjoy the shooting. Since you are a member of Doc Holiday's, which I plan to join soon, hopefully next month, I'm going to go ahead and add you as a friend here. Hope that's OK?

Happy Trails.

To be honest, I personally never gave it much thought.

I did, kinda, develop an alternate persona known as "Sherrif Buntline" for when I am using my Buntline and Sherrif's model Colts. (Get it?) My general idea was that I would try to be more "silly" when in that persona, but other than finding an exuse once per match to shout "Sherrif Buntline to the rescue!" not much real development has gone into it.

That being said, if you think it would be fun to have a detailed persona and to try to shoot the match "in character" then by all means go for it. The goal is to enjoy yourself.

I feel compelled to encourage you to continue to develope and shoot in character....I know myself and several pards are talking about this fun factor and how we can put it back in the game.

We want action and fun in our Cowboy ACTION shooting.

My personal opinion IS that SASS over the years has,... due to the influence of larger number of shooters who were not encouraged to pursue this area of historical accuracy,...evolved into a sort of IPSCA with chaps and a hat.

If I see one more shooter pitch a childish fit or worse yet tell someone shhhh...because there is too much talking going on in the posse(with their ear protection on) and it is interfering with his ability to go into some sort of transendental trance before he shoots I'm going to scream...and just continue to enjoy my game.

Why exactly is YOUR definition of action and fun more important than MY definition of action and fun?

If your reason to come out to the range is to play dress up and exchange stories about your "history" in the Indian wars - have at it. Enjoy yourself.

But the reason I come to the range is to shoot western style firearms in a scored enviroment against like minded competitors.

And as long as I have enough respect for your method of play that I don't butt into your inspired story of how you almost saved Custer, by pointing out the Japanese car you drove up in, the "Made in China" label sewn into your shirt or the prescription wrap around glasses on your face...

Then you should have the same courtesy and move away from the shooters that are preparing to compete so they do not have to be subjected to your fictional ramblings.

Thanks for the encouragement Dash. A big part of what has attracted me to CAS, is the historical element, and of course the friendliness of the people I'm meeting. I've done some competitive shooting with my 1911 Government Model, and the atmosphere is very different, at least based on those I've encountered so far. I think I will enjoy educating myself about my ancestor and the time period and then attempting to recreate that almost as much as I will enjoy the shooting. Since you are a member of Doc Holiday's, which I plan to join soon, hopefully next month, I'm going to go ahead and add you as a friend here. Hope that's OK?

Happy Trails.

It's absolutely OK...I will see you at DHI...and by the way myself and several other DHI Cowboys have been talking about forming a "FUN " posse at the next shoot...look for me..everybody knows me....just look me up in the dictionary under Goofy...I'll be right there next to the picture of the wierd dog...when we get a good group up....well it's so funny and fun when you go home you will be grinning so hard your wife will think you're up to something... lots of BP and cutin up......hang on to that 1911....Wild bunch can be fun too.....even if it's no kind of anything correct......

Why exactly is YOUR definition of action and fun more important than MY definition of action and fun?

If your reason to come out to the range is to play dress up and exchange stories about your "history" in the Indian wars - have at it. Enjoy yourself.

But the reason I come to the range is to shoot western style firearms in a scored enviroment against like minded competitors.

And as long as I have enough respect for your method of play that I don't butt into your inspired story of how you almost saved Custer, by pointing out the Japanese car you drove up in, the "Made in China" label sewn into your shirt or the prescription wrap around glasses on your face...

Then you should have the same courtesy and move away from the shooters that are preparing to compete so they do not have to be subjected to your fictional ramblings.

Your right..mine is not more important than yours or yours Mine so...DUDE...lighten up.....I just make the point that some people take themselves way too seriously over a fantasy game.... It is my heartfelt desire to come out West and shoot with you on your possee and hopefully make you laugh so hard you will pee in your pants...I'm sure they will give you a reshoot for that.

<snip>hopefully make you laugh so hard you will pee in your pants...<snip>

Hey Dash, missed you at the January DHI shoot!

Sometimes you can have it both ways -- at that January shoot I was able to take 5 seconds off my best time AND make my T.O. laugh too hard to start the timer, though not on the same stage! :lol:

Wow, 'fictional ramblings' seems a little out of place in a forum like this. Correct me if I'm wrong but I missed the part where Dash launched a personal attack on you? Your position on staying in character has been duly noted, thanks for your 'contribution' to my question.

Wow, 'fictional ramblings' seems a little out of place in a forum like this. Correct me if I'm wrong but I missed the part where Dash launched a personal attack on you? Your position on staying in character has been duly noted, thanks for your 'contribution' to my question.

Fictional ramblings...

Hmm, yes, I believe those are exactly the words I was looking for.

Dressing up in the guise of another person, and then PRETENDING to be or to have participated in that THAT persons exploits (real or imagined) are fictional ramblings.

It is not the way I play the game or something that I have any interest in.

But, that is only my opinion - It has no more weight or validity than anyone elses.

And if you bother to read my post COMPLETELY - I am fully ok with anyone playing the game as they wish.

Where I did take offense is the implication that folks are deserving of scorn or disrespect because they choose to play the game differently than Dash.

Dash said he "would scream", if "shhh'd" and then continue on with HIS game.

In other words - He said HIS "Ramblings" are more important than another persons shooting.

When you affect anothers game by the enjoyment of yours - that is a personal attack.

There is enough room for everyone - but not at the cost of distracting a competition shooter trying to prepare by INTENTIONALLY being rude.

Creeker and all,

I'm not in character at all. I just enjoy dressing ( in BLACK ) like the old B&W TV star of Have Gun-Will Travel. I love SASS/ and CAS to the point I enjoy the name recognition that goes with it. If I really was to be like (Him), I would get all those frilly, fancy clothes he wore when he was back in San Francisco. Now that life style is one to envy. However, at 66 yrs. bald with white hair, whats left of it, and only able to shoot .32's duelist style, and mouse phart loads, I like to be Paladin for the 30 seconds it takes to shoot a stage. :angry:

Wire Paladin # 5954

I picked a colorful ancestor for my alias and want to try and dress and act in character as much as is practical, while still learning as much as I can and having fun shooting (Captain William Burt wouldn't need to ask a lot of the questions I'll be asking). Is that a very common practice? I just thought it would be fun and I would learn a lot about my family history and the period.

At first I was going to name my self after my ancestor.. lol. But in the end Deja vous did it.. lol.. She was french like me and indian.. and she started shooting and riding early in life. But from there I morphed into Deja Vous.. and person who is me. The point is, you can be what ever you want to be, as long as you are having fun.. thats it..lol.. Being part Indian I kinda thought about bringing that out too, and this summer I will .. but for now.. Deja is just me.. and this summer the Lakota side will be with my very own spin of me.. As long as you are having fun nothing else matters..

Your right..mine is not more important than yours or yours Mine so...DUDE...lighten up.....I just make the point that some people take themselves way too seriously over a fantasy game.... It is my heartfelt desire to come out West and shoot with you on your possee and hopefully make you laugh so hard you will pee in your pants...I'm sure they will give you a reshoot for that.

Ah yes...the "you take it too seriously" card...next will be the "no ones getting a Caddi" card.

Oh, and I love the I shoot for "FUN" card...that one cracks me up every time I read it.

:blink:

Gawd knows that I have no where near the "FUN" as the guys that don't take it too seriously...'cuz there ain't no Caddi being awarded to the winner.

As god once said: "If I can't compete, I won't have fun. And if it ain't fun, I won't compete"...or something to that effect.

:FlagAm:

Phantom and Creeker...

Gentleman... I'm uncomfortable here....

....I had no intention of hijacking this new shooters thread and have communicated that to him....

...since it seems to be me and my words and thoughts you feel compelled to take issue with....

....I would really love to discuss this with both of you further....being the club leaders you are, I am very interested in your opinions concerning this sport we are obviously passionate about.

So. if you would like to start another thread and invite me to a discussion on some important pressing issue you feel you must address..I will respond

Better yet....try dashcaliber@yahoo.com....all are welcome...private e-mail can provide more freedom in the discussion.

If writing long e-mails takes too much time, as it does for me, just send me an e-mail request for my phone number...maybe we could do a conference call??

I really think both of you gentleman have made assumptions that are incorrect and discussion would be helpful....I just don't believe that the continued discussion of my comments on this thread is fair to the young Captain.

DC

Hi Phantom,

What's a "Caddi"?

BTW, I didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest, I just wanted some feedback on whether some people shoot in character or not and how that's perceived by everyone. It's pretty clear that some do and some don't, and that some don't care too much for those that do shoot in character, perhaps at the expense of competitiveness. Obviously everyone can't be a champion, and for me some of the fun will come from stepping away from typical day to day life. If I could do both that would be great too, but I won't hold my breath on that one.

I wonder for those who disparage the 'fictional ramblings' part of the game. Why have an alias, why shoot what many consider to be outdated weapons, why wear old western styles. Are you not engaging in a little fantasy in addition to just straight up shooting?

I'm a little disappointed, but not surprised, to see the same type of behavior here that I've seen on other forums. That is a quickness to dump on others whose priorities or values are different from our own and to launch what appear to me to be personal attacks.

Having said that this is one of the most, if not the most, civilized forum I've participated in to date. Lots of good people here and I am glad I chose to pursue this.

I appreciate all those who took the time to give me feedback on what to expect when I show up at my first match.

Thanks,

I have found over the years that folks who are seriously into historical research and re-enacting are of a different mindset from others. You must realize that the main thing is there is room for both attitudes in this sport and they should be able to coexist without rancor and conflict.

Ones enjoyment should not interfere with another's activities. That includes talking it up when another shooter is on the line and trying to concentrate. Personally I don't care if a New Years party is going on behind me but some folks have different levels of focus and common courtesy should dictate your behavior. Some pards don't mind if I holler at em when they're shooting. With some others, I wouldn't consider it. Both types have a right to shoot the way they want and should be respected for it.

One man's fictional ramblings are another man's time machine.

I can understand the irritation some feel when a guy won't step out of character for a few seconds. And I can also understand the attraction to sating in character for a true history buff.

AS Ben F. said, "All things in moderation". :FlagAm:

The "fun vs competitive" argument rears it's head here frequently. My only advice I guess is to not worry about how others are enjoying themselves. Just do your own thing, But do it with some courtesy, good humor, and class.

Of crap, I forgot I wasn't going to dispense advice here anymore. You may disregard. ;)

I picked a colorful ancestor for my alias and want to try and dress and act in character as much as is practical, while still learning as much as I can and having fun shooting (Captain William Burt wouldn't need to ask a lot of the questions I'll be asking). Is that a very common practice? I just thought it would be fun and I would learn a lot about my family history and the period.

I didn't read any of the other responses, but the answer is ...yes, some folks take that route - go for it. Family history is a good thing ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Since my ancestors didn't immigrate until 1900, I didn't have great, great great, or great great great anybody to take historical note of from the western migration. Got my alias from a prior vocation. Dressing the period (close counts) and having fun doing it is nearly as important as the shooting. The shooting is where it's at. Well ........ then shooting the breeze about shooting ...........

Coffinmaker

Hi Phantom,

What's a "Caddi"?

BTW, I didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest, I just wanted some feedback on whether some people shoot in character or not and how that's perceived by everyone. It's pretty clear that some do and some don't, and that some don't care too much for those that do shoot in character, perhaps at the expense of competitiveness. Obviously everyone can't be a champion, and for me some of the fun will come from stepping away from typical day to day life. If I could do both that would be great too, but I won't hold my breath on that one.

I wonder for those who disparage the 'fictional ramblings' part of the game. Why have an alias, why shoot what many consider to be outdated weapons, why wear old western styles. Are you not engaging in a little fantasy in addition to just straight up shooting?

I'm a little disappointed, but not surprised, to see the same type of behavior here that I've seen on other forums. That is a quickness to dump on others whose priorities or values are different from our own and to launch what appear to me to be personal attacks.

Having said that this is one of the most, if not the most, civilized forum I've participated in to date. Lots of good people here and I am glad I chose to pursue this.

I appreciate all those who took the time to give me feedback on what to expect when I show up at my first match.

Thanks,

The behavior is typical because we ain't any different...we're simple human beings.

Now to point - the "Competitive" shooters (some dress up to the nines...some don't), don't give a damn what floats yer boat. Shoot big loads...play in your character...do whatever it is that YOU want to do so long as it's within the rules.

The folks that tend to really judge other shooters are the "historically correct" or the "How the west really was" crowd.

Oh, and the only reason that this forum is so civilized is 'cuz we've got good moderators...but boy howdy, you should see some of the PM's that I've got over the years.

:rolleyes:

Archived