SASS Wire Forum

Alias and Role Play

Captain Bill Burt

I picked a colorful ancestor for my alias and want to try and dress and act in character as much as is practical, while still learning as much as I can and having fun shooting (Captain William Burt wouldn't need to ask a lot of the questions I'll be asking). Is that a very common practice? I just thought it would be fun and I would learn a lot about my family history and the period.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure. Lot's of people do. Not necessary but still another source for fun.

Lots of people do it. Also, dont worry about the questions. If Capt. Bill was thrust into the times in which we live im sure he would have questions also.

I was taking a short break with PaleWolf one day and we were just chit-chattin'. I asked him what kind of work he does...He looked me right in the eye and said..."I'm a scout for the 7th Cavalry."

It caught me a little off guard, but I said....."Okay....." :wub:

Lots of people have fun with it...Go ahead and have fun.

For me it has been a real eye opener as far as family history. I have found out with a little work I could become a member numerous organizations (Revoluntionary War, and Civil War) by providing the documentation I have uncovered. I have also found a "new love" for the Victorian Era, as well as the 1800's in general. So, go ahead, you just might discover inlaws, outlaws, who knows in your family history.

Mine happens to be my great-great-grandfather.

Capt. Stephen D. Hill

Thanks for all the replys. I did similarly to you Captain Stephen, Mine is my great-great-great-great grandfather. Born in 1797 died in 1900, fought in 4 wars and debated Jefferson Davis about the civil war. I couldn't have asked for a better character. I've gotten so interested in him I'm thinking about writing a book. I even found a picture of him which I included in my profile.

I just couldn't pass up the chance to check out the old photo......I hate to say it, but you favor him.....alot.

Capt. Hill and I discuss the history quite a bit. It interests me to no end. I agree with the others who've suggested that you "enjoy the game for what it is."

I went at it from a different angle, I used my year of birth (1947) and simply subtracted 100yrs, at my age this works perfectly for the era from the CW through the new century and counting. By not basing my character on a real person I can borrow from many and actually use my real life experiences merged in to make it personal for me. Though I used to play with this mind game a lot, I now find that my daydreams wonder more towards other pursuits now but it was a fun way to fill in travel time in years gone by. Best of all I can use any of the SASS legal guns From the Walker Colt to the '97 Winny and say they were common to the era I depict! There is one thing from my persona that I would like to leave you with, "Never turn yore back on Slowhand Bob"!

I just couldn't pass up the chance to check out the old photo......I hate to say it, but you favor him.....alot.

Capt. Hill and I discuss the history quite a bit. It interests me to no end. I agree with the others who've suggested that you "enjoy the game for what it is."

HA HA, yeah, I showed my dad that picture and he said now we know who to blame the Burt schnozz on! I don't mind your comment though, I've never been accused of being good looking, that's for sure.

He must have been one tough old buzzard, being in the War of 1812 at 15 years old and the Civil War at 60 something. I would imagine being an outspoken abolitionist in Mississippi back then didn't win him a lot of friends either. Fascinating stuff, the guy had 17 children, all with the same wife which was pretty unusual for back then. Unfortunately having lots of kids tended to be pretty tough on the women, or so I hear anyway.

I went at it from a different angle, I used my year of birth (1947) and simply subtracted 100yrs, at my age this works perfectly for the era from the CW through the new century and counting. By not basing my character on a real person I can borrow from many and actually use my real life experiences merged in to make it personal for me. Though I used to play with this mind game a lot, I now find that my daydreams wonder more towards other pursuits now but it was a fun way to fill in travel time in years gone by. Best of all I can use any of the SASS legal guns From the Walker Colt to the '97 Winny and say they were common to the era I depict! There is one thing from my persona that I would like to leave you with, "Never turn yore back on Slowhand Bob"!

I thought about going at it from that perspective Slowhand, but I'm just not a very creative guy. Luckily for me Captain Burt fought in four different wars and lived in three centuries, so I can lay claim to just about any weapon I want except Wild Bunch stuff.

I'll keep that quote in mind :wub:

A friend of mine had a cartoon strip that started back in the 50's called RICK O'SHAY. One of the characters was Tom Foolery.

Wife sez I'm a smart ass.

Gotta stay in character ;)

TF

I don't think it's common for people to stay in character all the time but do whatever you enjoy. Some folks are very serious about historical impressions but most are here for the fun and the friends. I have had a great time doing a lot of first person history interpretation for the Park Service and re-enacting in the past but with SASS I mostly like to shoot and have fun. My wife says I'm enough of a character without slipping into another one. ;)

And if you're pulled over on the way to the range, try to slip out of character long enough to show your DL and proof of insurance. :FlagAm:

My alias/persona is based on a combination of my hobby (horse and mule packing) and a Frederic Remington painting.

An Army Packer

(I even have a mule the same color, too! ;) )

Love this topic...

I knew I would not always want to be dressed in the same kind of costume so I didn't want an alias that would lock me into a particular one.

I have many sides to my real personality so I needed an alias that would allow me to be who ever I decided to be that day.

School Marm (real life profession)

Saloon Girl (this one is the most fun!)

Annie Oakley (wearing suede britches)

Dale Evans (shooting BWestern)

Indian Maiden (not sure if I could pull this one off with the blond hair but I am a "card carrying" Cherokee, if you ever saw my mother you would believe it)

I get to do them all!

Complicated Lady :->

I don't think it's common for people to stay in character all the time but do whatever you enjoy. Some folks are very serious about historical impressions but most are here for the fun and the friends. I have had a great time doing a lot of first person history interpretation for the Park Service and re-enacting in the past but with SASS I mostly like to shoot and have fun. My wife says I'm enough of a character without slipping into another one. :FlagAm:

And if you're pulled over on the way to the range, try to slip out of character long enough to show your DL and proof of insurance. :wacko:

I will try to remember that one Utah Bob, I expect a State Trooper who encountered the original Captain Bill wouldn't be too happy with him. ;)

And if you're pulled over on the way to the range, try to slip out of character long enough to show your DL and proof of insurance.

I always try to remember this one. I sometimes feel an almost irresistible urge to lay in wait for people in us cavalry uniforms then sneak in to burn their cars...... ;)

I was taking a short break with PaleWolf one day and we were just chit-chattin'. I asked him what kind of work he does...He looked me right in the eye and said..."I'm a scout for the 7th Cavalry."

It caught me a little off guard, but I said....."Okay....." ;)

Lots of people have fun with it...Go ahead and have fun.

Kinda Begs the question why he is still drawing air. Maybe he was with Reno

And if you're pulled over on the way to the range, try to slip out of character long enough to show your DL and proof of insurance.

I always try to remember this one. I sometimes feel an almost irresistible urge to lay in wait for people in us cavalry uniforms then sneak in to burn their cars...... ;)

Danite...... That there is funny... :wacko: Our GGrand Dad was with the 5th when they visited ya,ll in 1857. :FlagAm: Jack Hays

Howdy

I see some folks say it is common, but I have been in this game for almost ten years now and I don't know anybody who shoots a match 'in character'. The handbook does make mention of developing a 'persona' when first starting out, and lots of history oriented new comers ask about it, but like I say, I dunno anybody who actually has developed a persona and shoots the match 'in character'. Frankly, most of the guys I shoot with are characters enough already without having to invent one.

I did write up a persona for myself a bunch of years ago, but I never actually tried to shoot a match in character.

Not that I mean to discourage you, if family history is interesting to you, by all means go for it. Just don't be disappointed if you are the only one at a match 'in character'. My own family has only been on these shores for a little over 100 years, and none of them ventured out west, except for when my sister moved to California in 1965 and my parents retired there about 20 years ago.

We do have several historical re-creation museums in my neck of the woods, Sturbridge Village and Plimouth Plantation coming to mind. They are staffed by folks who take on a persona from several hundred years ago. I will probably get flamed for this, but frankly I find it really annoying when somebody who drove to his job in a Japanese compact pretends he doesn't know what the American Revolution was. I much prefer the museum experience with somebody speaking my own language to me, if he wants to dress up in period that is fine, because I do it when I shoot Cowboy. But I dislike those bad actors who pretend they are living 300 years ago.

Love this topic...

I knew I would not always want to be dressed in the same kind of costume so I didn't want an alias that would lock me into a particular one.

I have many sides to my real personality so I needed an alias that would allow me to be who ever I decided to be that day.

School Marm (real life profession)

Saloon Girl (this one is the most fun!)

Annie Oakley (wearing suede britches)

Dale Evans (shooting BWestern)

Indian Maiden (not sure if I could pull this one off with the blond hair but I am a "card carrying" Cherokee, if you ever saw my mother you would believe it)

I get to do them all!

Complicated Lady :->

I suspect that the saloon girls of the period weren't nearly as attractive!! Much to the chagrin of the cowboys.

One of the things that has impressed me about CAS is the friendliness of the people I've spoken with so I certainly won't flame you Driftwood. I don't see myself being a serious national level competitor, so maybe I'll be that rare person who stay in character throughout while doing a decent job competing, and of course having a ton of fun.

I suspect that the saloon girls of the period weren't nearly as attractive!! Much to the chagrin of the cowboys.

Thank you for the compliment, kind sir

From the research I have done I believe you are correct in assuming that they were not the pretty gals.

Most of the girls that resorted to working in the saloons were the ones that couldn't find a man to take care of them full time (a husband)

But that doesn't make for a very fun fantasy now does it???

I chose to pretend that they were the fun girls with hearts of gold, that wanted to show every cowboy a goodtime before he rode off into the sunset.

I check back to my Great, great great,great grand dad on my dads side, and the same on my moms side.Found a lot I did not want to know. Tried to pick some name from the past but I did not want to be a bad guy, so I just looked at my sweet little dog and thats how I became Pit Bull Tex

Thank you for the compliment, kind sir

From the research I have done I believe you are correct in assuming that they were not the pretty gals.

Most of the girls that resorted to working in the saloons were the ones that couldn't find a man to take care of them full time (a husband)

But that doesn't make for a very fun fantasy now does it???

I chose to pretend that they were the fun girls with hearts of gold, that wanted to show every cowboy a goodtime before he rode off into the sunset.

Clearly you aren't the only one to make that choice!

It does make things a little more appealing. I remember watching Back to the Future Three, the scene where MJF is offered the glass of dirty water, kind of pointed out the reality of the times.

I check back to my Great, great great,great grand dad on my dads side, and the same on my moms side.Found a lot I did not want to know. Tried to pick some name from the past but I did not want to be a bad guy, so I just looked at my sweet little dog and thats how I became Pit Bull Tex

I like the name, a lot. It's cool, and original. If I had gone that way, I would have ended up as Rhode Island Rottie.

We don't get to pick our ancestors, no credit or blame, just history.

Like Driftwood, I don't know anyone that even attempts to stay in character. A friend of mine got me started in this, but he didn't shoot for long. His big hobby is acting. Does a lot with some of the local playhouses. I think he has dreams of making a living as a stage actor. When he realized that folks don't stay in character and play-act during the stages, he lost interest. But I stayed around as the shootin' is a lot of fun and most of the folks are outstanding.

Welcome to SASS, Captain Bill Burt!

I don't know of anyone that stays in character all the time but there are several who are characters all the time! ;)

Looks like we're in the same neck of the woods, Captain. I just joined SASS last March, and now shoot regularly with Doc Holliday's Immortals in Griffin, semi-regularly with the Cherokee Cowboys in Gainesville, and hoping to go to semi-regular with the Mule Camp Cowboys over in Conyers.

I don't stay in character either generally, but it sounds like fun - let me know when and where you'll be shooting, and let's posse up and give it a whirl!

Hi-Yo and Awaaaayy,

That Masked Man

Welcome to SASS, Captain Bill Burt!

I don't know of anyone that stays in character all the time but there are several who are characters all the time! ;)

Looks like we're in the same neck of the woods, Captain. I just joined SASS last March, and now shoot regularly with Doc Holliday's Immortals in Griffin, semi-regularly with the Cherokee Cowboys in Gainesville, and hoping to go to semi-regular with the Mule Camp Cowboys over in Conyers.

I don't stay in character either generally, but it sounds like fun - let me know when and where you'll be shooting, and let's posse up and give it a whirl!

Hi-Yo and Awaaaayy,

That Masked Man

Hey that sounds good Masked Man! I plan on being at the match at DHI on the second Saturday of February. maybe I'll see you there?

;) Yeah.....well thanks! He didn't like it so much. Got frostbite and very hungry!! :D

We took them out some food and other provisions but General Johnston wouldn't let them take it. I think the whole thing was a plot to get the army out west when the civil war seemed imminent. Johnston went to california, then by ship back to take a command in the south. We did give your GGrand dad some prime land out in the desert for a Camp though!! The area around old Camp Floyd is still beautiful.:P

I was glad they marched straight through SLC without stopping. We were ready to burn it to the ground if they had.:lol:

One of the clubs in SLC is named the Utah War in memory of the trouble back in '57....... :D

Fascinating to think about someone from the other "side" in that unpleasantness. Or to think that your family has a history that touches my family history at that point in history...... Dont suppose he kept a diary or some such??? :huh:

Doc, at the time I enjoyed the 'in-character' part the most, it never would fit at the firing line. I have never mentally envisioned myself shooting anything but steel at a cowboy match. Even the little scenarios that many write into the shooting instructions always seemed to be done with a flavor of humor in my mind. In character has to be a mind play thing, most of us are nothing like the persona we make up,

When I joined, it seemed that everyone was a Sheriff This, Marshall That or Deputy Something, with bad guys in short supply for our game. Voila, Slowhand Bob the darkest, dirtiest, dirtiest, back shooting varmint that anyone should ever be willing to turn their back on while shooting a stage! One thing I find to be a hoot is the play on so many famous name characters from history and film. It takes a real good imagination to see a frail tuberculosis ridden dentist played by a 250 bound sixty year old or a young Wild Bill played by an old bald guy!!!!

We took them out some food and other provisions but General Johnston wouldn't let them take it. I think the whole thing was a plot to get the army out west when the civil war seemed imminent. Johnston went to california, then by ship back to take a command in the south. We did give your GGrand dad some prime land out in the desert for a Camp though!! The area around old Camp Floyd is still beautiful.:FlagAm:

I was glad they marched straight through SLC without stopping. We were ready to burn it to the ground if they had.:unsure:

One of the clubs in SLC is named the Utah War in memory of the trouble back in '57....... :rolleyes:

Fascinating to think about someone from the other "side" in that unpleasantness. Or to think that your family has a history that touches my family history at that point in history...... Dont suppose he kept a diary or some such??? :huh:

Yeah...no diary but have his personal papers, Bible and muster records. He was in Utah, Civil, and Indian Wars. I have researched and been to most all of his duty stations and battles , including Camp Floyd and Bridgers Fort. Hard to believe how far they travled by horse and on foot. Got a lot of info from the LDS libary in SLC. Ya'll take care and stay warm!! :P Jack Hays :FlagAm:

Archived