SASS Wire Forum

Asking for thoughtful feedback

I have only watched a couple of episodes so this may not be the most informed opinion but here are some ideas I think would be good.

Look at Captain Baylor’s awesome website about getting started in CAS. Each of the topics he covers could be an episode in itself.

Discuss black powder and subs and their differences.

Discuss the various rules and why they exist

Have a segment discussing an “alias” How the shooter came up with their alias and what it means to them. This is a truly unique part of our sport and something that could be focused on in a neat way.

Highlight the average shooters at the local matches around the country. What are they shooting? What are they wearing? Etc. Maybe a shooter of the week segment where local clubs can submit one of their members for interview or even send in videos.

Highlight the different shooting styles and categories. Have the host or a designated guest discuss and shoot that style at a match. Frontiersman for a day or Classic Cowboy for a day, something like that.

Talk ammo and reloading. What type, where to get it etc.

Avoid topics that aren’t in line with what people shoot on a regular basis. Pocket pistols, long range rifles, and 1911s are only niches and unless the episode is focusing on a specific side match then these topics aren’t as interesting to me.

Gunleather. What are shooters using. Not just the top of the line stuff but the economy stuff. Don’t just show what works but what doesn’t. All the different configurations of holsters, belts, shotgun belts, bandoliers etc.

Segments focusing on the Buckaroos and the youngsters. Also segments on families that shoot together.

Here are some suggestions:

1. At EOT pick the top 10 or so shooters with each each type of weapon (SxS, 1887, 1897, 1866/1873/1894, 1911, pocket pistol, derrigner, break-top pistol, SAR duelist, SAR double duelist, SAR traditional, SAR gunfighter) but only those who exhibit a style different from each other in using that particular weapon or style, then video tape each, hi-lighting what is different or unique. Then on each episode of Cowboys that year you could feature a segment where up to 10 shooters each show a different way of using the same weapon or shooting technique with proven results and effectiveness. The less experienced shooters in the TV audience could learn an awful lot, like I just did watching the Deuce Stevens SxS video (keeping the gun at shoulder level, focusing on the extractor to aid in shell insertion, and the short shuck near shoulder level).

2. Select one shootoff from each of the national, regional and state championships where the finish is exceptionally close or there is real drama during the course of the shootoff, and air one per episode.

3. Encourage clubs to submit input for a segment where each week a novel prop, stage convention or innovative match practice is hi-lighted, giving inspiration to other clubs that will help bring additional or new life to their monthly matches. Josey Wales matches, team matches, moving shooting patforms, different elevations for shooting platforms, unique cowboy tasks to perform on the clock or prior to the start of the clock (sticking a throwing knife, throwing dynamite into a target container, lassoing an object, reenacting the Missouri Boat Ride or the "Jerk them pistols or whistle Dixie" scenes, underwear shoots, after-match faro games, etc.).

4. More practical how-to information, such as the best way to shoot a Texas Star, best way to ensure hulls shuck easily from a SxS (like drop-testing loaded hulls in the shotgun tubes as part of the reloading process), ways of overcoming common problems like a plastic hull snagging in an 1887 during the ejection process or best was to ensure that the carrier on the 1887 doesn't depress too far when loading two shells from the top, different but effective ways of reloading a single rifle or pistol round on the clock, cinematic tricks on how to make clothing look aged and well-worn, etc.

5. Feature a different aspect of the cowboy gear each espisode, like profiling cartridge belts and bandoliers, different types of holsters, the plus and minus of spurs such as catching them on the rung of a chair when arising during a stage, different/innovative ways of taking rounds to the loading table and carrying the empties away from the unloading table, different ways to wear and tie the bandana, different headband systems that help air pass through cowboy hats and keep them cooler, new clothing or material designed to be lighter or cooler for the cowboy shooter, etc.

These are the things that just roll off the top of my head. As I give it more thought, I'll update this post unless the concensus is that I'm way off base.

I like Tupelo as the host, and when he gives his closing tag line I truly belive that he believes it, but his weekly get-ups don't do a very good job of portraying the average cowboy shooter... the new or casual viewer could come away with a jaded impression of the sport if turned off by a visual appearance that represents a rather slim and possible extreme of cowboy possibilities. Possibly a different look each episode, hi-lighting different types of outfits and gear, like a vaquero in vaquero pants with somebrero and crossed bandoliers, range cowboy, gunfighter, plainsman, cavalry trooper, sherrif, ranch hand, preacher, and perhaps with a femaile co-host who can model the outfits of a school marm, fancy lady, soiled dove, homesteader, plainswoman, etc.

Hey... if I come across as nuts, chalk it up to it being the middle of winter, snow on the ground, daytime highs below freezing, shooting withdrawal and way too much time on my hands!

Take care, pards. Morgan James

I'm a little uncomfortable with this thread...I believe my figurative door has always been open to the Wire, to the Wild Bunch, to you as individuals at major matches, to the members of my club I shoot with on a regular basis. I have sought your support, but I believe I have endeavored to answer your questions fairly and honestly. I have also had many hours of conversations with all my advertisers on all my shows, my door is open to them as well as to you.

What do you hope to accomplish here?

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433
I'm a little uncomfortable with this thread...

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

Wolf Bane,

I think most folks are kinda wishing/hoping for a cowboy action television show... Now we (supporters) are uncomfortable that your uncomfortable... :)

I'm a little uncomfortable with this thread...I believe my figurative door has always been open to the Wire, to the Wild Bunch, to you as individuals at major matches, to the members of my club I shoot with on a regular basis. I have sought your support, but I believe I have endeavored to answer your questions fairly and honestly. I have also had many hours of conversations with all my advertisers on all my shows, my door is open to them as well as to you.

Have to agree. If Mr Potterfield wants suggestions, thats fine, I think PMs are the way to do it. Having BEEN the host of a show, I can tell you EVERYONE has a better idea then you on how to do it. Also, I think it is highly uncalled for to say that you want a person replaced on a public forum. Is this your version of the COWBOY WAY? If so, I dont want to shoot around you. Oh, and Tupalo IS a REAL SHOOTER. You may want to plug you virgin ears here, but this post is BULLSHIT

hud (yea Im pissed, this post should be deleted)

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

Ha!

Now that could turn into a Vaudeville routine... but I have music and hot chocolate so I am gettin alot more comfortable now :)

I understand that commercials provide the funds to run the train, however I feel that the show was commercial heavy and content light. I also agree that local club information and videos would help promote SASS around the country not just Tin Star and Founder's Ranch. Thanks to Mr. Potterfield and Midway for Wednesday Night at the Range!

Amen, Sawyer!

I think there was only 10-12 minutes of actual content in each show due to all the commercials. I also agree that Mr. Potterfield needs to be commended for his support of the Wednesday night lineup. Tupelo Flash was a hoot to watch - It wouldn't bother me at all if he came back if the series is resurrected. And I sure would like to see other shooters and clubs featured.

I believe a shooting show should focus on shooting and shooters, while I agree that the history parts with bob booze bell were sometimes interesting, that's what the history Chanel is for. The fire arms museum had some interesting old guns, but again that's what the history Chanel is for. Focus on the shooting. Focus on helping shooters learn. There was a perfect chance when you had evil Roy and tupalo teaching new shooters, but you never got to see the new shooters progress o compete, just Roy and tupalo talking. Take to newbies and show there first match, then work thru gun selection, leather options, the whole learning curve and follow them at actual matches. That would be interesting. Some of the best shows where focusing on learning about the sport. Not following the care taker of a musem talking about guns in a building I will perobably never be able to visit. I understand a part of this sport is history. But I want q show Anout the sport and how I can get better. Not a history Chanel show on the outdoor Chanel. Get rid of bob booze bell and give me a segment with Jim bouey from the cowboy and Indian store telling me how to make my 97 work better

Tupelo is a good Pard of mine, been shootin' with him fer the past 4 + years. When I first started out it was Tupelo who helped me along with shootin' tips and understanding the game and such. He has always played a large role in improving our club at The Cowboys in Norco, CA, as well as SASS and CAS in general. What I'd like to see on TV is much more of the same programming, I have always thought that the show was great, a huge thumbs up from this ol' cowpoke.

Roy

• 3 weeks later...

I only met him once, but the truth is any one who tries to promote the cowboy way of life has my vote, love, and respect.... I do wish I could have seen the program, I am pretty new out here.

Well, at the risk of making Wolf Bane more uncomfortable, and hud even angrier, I will add my two cents.

I have not been able to catch the show regularly, so that must go into consideration of what I am about to say as well, I suppose.

Like others, I am of the opinion that the show tended to be light on content. In my opinion, that often appeared to be the result of trying to fit too much content into a half hour show. Instead, I would like to see a narrower focus in each episode. Perhaps build series of episodes around a couple of subjects, such as getting started and the basics, understanding how a shoot works, needed gear, that sort of thing. Concentrate on the basics of the lever action. Or shooting duelist or gunfighter, you name it, there are subjects that those new to the sport or thinking of coming into the sport are confused and/or intimidated.

Finally, no offense to Tupelo Flash, but I have to say that his persona that comes across is 19th century Elvis, and that has always left me scratching my head just a little. Perhaps someone more "period," or as much as I hate to say it, more "common" in their wear. I have no doubts as to his knowledge and ability, not to mention his presence.

Finally, I too am appreciative of Mr. Potterfield and his willingness to help the cause of the shooting sports.

I believe a shooting show should focus on shooting and shooters, while I agree that the history parts with bob booze bell were sometimes interesting, that's what the history Chanel is for. The fire arms museum had some interesting old guns, but again that's what the history Chanel is for. Focus on the shooting. Focus on helping shooters learn. There was a perfect chance when you had evil Roy and tupalo teaching new shooters, but you never got to see the new shooters progress o compete, just Roy and tupalo talking. Take to newbies and show there first match, then work thru gun selection, leather options, the whole learning curve and follow them at actual matches. That would be interesting. Some of the best shows where focusing on learning about the sport. Not following the care taker of a musem talking about guns in a building I will perobably never be able to visit. I understand a part of this sport is history. But I want q show Anout the sport and how I can get better. Not a history Chanel show on the outdoor Chanel. Get rid of bob booze bell and give me a segment with Jim bouey from the cowboy and Indian store telling me how to make my 97 work better

+1!!!

Archived